Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Did my transmission die?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 01:40 PM
F0rdE$cape
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did my transmission die?

Ok, I was driving down the interstate in my 2002 Ford Escape XLT 4X4 and I noticed my rpm's reved to about 5000 from my cruising rpm of 2200 and it was as if it went into neutral. I coasted with engine running fine to the right shoulder and called a tow truck to the nearest dealer. No reverse, D, 2 or 1 only Park that worked. Any ideas?

Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 PM
F0rdE$cape
Freshman User
I wanted to add a few things I forgot:

I had no indication that there was a problem.
No lights on dash whatsoever or pending trouble.
Checked fluid, was clean and full (just did a system
Drain and fill with Mercon ATF less than 2000 miles ago)
60,000 miles on REMAN transmission installed by
Ford dealer.

Thanks for any ideas or solutions.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:22 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
If there no engagement in any gear (park doesn't count) and the fluid level is correct, then your transmission has died.

Probably either a pump failure or a sheared input shaft, or the like.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:48 AM
F0rdE$cape
Freshman User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
If there no engagement in any gear (park doesn't count) and the fluid level is correct, then your transmission has died.

Probably either a pump failure or a sheared input shaft, or the like.
So I might be able to get by without a new transmission? Just pump or shaft repair?

Old 04-20-2014, 07:42 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
may sound odd, but did you check if a driveshaft u joint blew out?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:26 AM
F0rdE$cape
Freshman User
Originally Posted by crazyrwe
may sound odd, but did you check if a driveshaft u joint blew out?
All looks good with driveshaft, at least thats what Ford is saying.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:55 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by F0rdE$cape
So I might be able to get by without a new transmission? Just pump or shaft repair?
Unlikely. Most shops wouldn't bother doing a piece-part repair and warranty it.

The amount of labor to replace the transmission is a little less that cracking it open for diagnosis. By the time you crack it open, you might as well rebuild or replace the thing and get a warranty.

You're probably looking at $3,000 to $3,500 for a re-manufactured transmission with a warranty which may exceed the value of the vehicle. You can probably get by with half that for a used transmission, but you won't get much, if anything, of a warranty. If the replacement transmission breaks next week, you'll still own a busted 2002 Escape with a bad transmission and you'll be out whatever money you put into it.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:36 PM
F0rdE$cape
Freshman User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Unlikely. Most shops wouldn't bother doing a piece-part repair and warranty it.

The amount of labor to replace the transmission is a little less that cracking it open for diagnosis. By the time you crack it open, you might as well rebuild or replace the thing and get a warranty.

You're probably looking at $3,000 to $3,500 for a re-manufactured transmission with a warranty which may exceed the value of the vehicle. You can probably get by with half that for a used transmission, but you won't get much, if anything, of a warranty. If the replacement transmission breaks next week, you'll still own a busted 2002 Escape with a bad transmission and you'll be out whatever money you put into it.
Ok, thanks for all the responses. Looks like a reman is in order.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:09 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You might do better having your transmission worked on. When a shop does the job, they don't have to account for covering the cost of any 'hard parts' that need replacement when they quote the job unless you unit needs them. A re-man from a factory has the hard parts cost spread over all their units, so it likely will be more pricey. If you only need a pump drive shaft, they can do a 'light' job on the rest of the unit. When I was at my Dads AAMCO, they offered three levels of repair, with more parts and warranty period as you increased price.
The oil pump is driven by a shaft that is sort of long and skinny. If that sheared or the grooves in either end wore and allowed slippage, you'd have the condition you describe. Problem is, I am pretty sure the shaft can only be replaced with the transmission removed and disassembled. I'd go local if you can find a reliable and reputable shop. Unless you travel or plan to move, you don't need a national warranty. IMO.
tom

Old 04-26-2014, 07:48 PM
F0rdE$cape
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tomw
You might do better having your transmission worked on. When a shop does the job, they don't have to account for covering the cost of any 'hard parts' that need replacement when they quote the job unless you unit needs them. A re-man from a factory has the hard parts cost spread over all their units, so it likely will be more pricey. If you only need a pump drive shaft, they can do a 'light' job on the rest of the unit. When I was at my Dads AAMCO, they offered three levels of repair, with more parts and warranty period as you increased price.
The oil pump is driven by a shaft that is sort of long and skinny. If that sheared or the grooves in either end wore and allowed slippage, you'd have the condition you describe. Problem is, I am pretty sure the shaft can only be replaced with the transmission removed and disassembled. I'd go local if you can find a reliable and reputable shop. Unless you travel or plan to move, you don't need a national warranty. IMO.
tom
Thanks for all the help. Had it towed from the Ford Dealer to Aamco for free. Turned out to be that the pump shaft sheared. Aamco rebuilt the transmission for $1,000 less than Ford quoted me. So far I am happy, very smooth shifting and running transmission.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:14 AM
crazyrwe
Elder User
I would imagine they checked everything else out in the tranny, If you don't mind me asking, what was the total price because I may be heading that way in the future,thank you.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:28 AM
F0rdE$cape
Freshman User
I would imagine they checked everything else out in the tranny, If you don't mind me asking, what was the total price because I may be heading that way in the future,thank you.
Sure no problem, $2,800. To rebuild. Ford quoted me $3800

Old 04-27-2014, 03:11 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
Thank you for the reply. Makes you wonder if it's worth it as long as the rest of the vehicle keeps up fine. Guess you would need to see what the kelly b book value is and take it from there. It puts you in a bind that you can't get much for a escape with a bad tranny either.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:31 PM
F0rdE$cape
Freshman User
Thank you for the reply. Makes you wonder if it's worth it as long as the rest of the vehicle keeps up fine. Guess you would need to see what the kelly b book value is and take it from there. It puts you in a bind that you can't get much for a escape with a bad tranny either.
Yes, it was an easy decision for me. I love my Escape and just got me thru the toughest winter on record. My 4x4 was worth its weight in gold. I have 190,000 miles on it and its running great and the body is in great shape so I decided to bite the bullet and make the investment on the rebuild. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:53 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
Good for you & good luck as well, hope all goes well. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Did my transmission die?