Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 f150 ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
1992 f150 ABS light

Need help to t/s this. ABS and BRAKE lights are on. Pads and shoes are good. Found a spring broken on left rear brake and replaced. Master cylinder is full. Fuses are good. Brakes work very good. Assuming I have ABS 1 system. Cannot locate diagnostic connector under dash to flash out codes. Any ideas would be appreciated. Is there a reset procedure?

Old 04-11-2014, 04:16 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem. For me, I really think the problem is my RABS module on the frame rail, haven't had a chance to replace it yet. But from all the testing and questions, that's what I am pointing to. I can't pull RABS codes either.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lights-on.html

Old 04-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I bled the RABS module. Where did you find the test connector? It is supposed to be under the dash above the e-brake. Black wire with orange stripe? I am assuming we have RABS 1 correct? RABS 2 started in 93?

Old 04-11-2014, 05:01 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Test wire should be below the glove box. Behind the glove box is where the RABS computer should be. At least this is where it's at on my truck. Not sure if they were located in different areas on different vehicles.

You will find two connectors with a black wire. I have heard the connectors and/or the wires are different so you know which side to use for the test. My wires and connector are the same. You need to know which one is for test, if you connect the wrong wire to ground it will blow a fuse. So what you do is test both of those wires with a volt meter and the one that has voltage with the key on is NOT the one to use. Test with the other one.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:08 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
It's located behind plastic kick panel on passenger side.

There also another spot just under the glove box, plain site, when you look around the lower portion of dash. My connector there didn't work, but the one behind the passenger kick panel where the fuel inertia switch did.

I finally got to flash codes, but it says module bad. I just replaced the ABS sensor on driver side rail cause it wad leaking fluid from the body where the wires for the sensor go. It usually only does it when cold outside. This still has me baffled.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:15 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by timbersteel
It usually only does it when cold outside.
I have noticed the same. Hasn't been too cold here lately so the light has been off. I am just concerned the RABS will lockup on me some time when driving. I have heard of people who have problems with the RABS module and it locks up. Since I am not sure of exactly what is causing my problem, I don't know of there's a chance mine will lockup or not.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:31 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You're not mantianing the ground right? Turn on the key then touch the wire to ground, ground it out until the light flashes then remove the ground. Amount of time required to trigger code takes a few seconds, little more than what I consider to be "momentary" contact, ground that sucker out and hold it there and until the light reacts to it then and only then release the ground wire.

Says one to two seconds in the book but takes much longer than that, long enough start thinking to yourself maybe its not going to work, maybe should find a better ground point start over. It takes several seconds before the module reacts to the ground starts flashing the light so hold it and wait.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
I have pulled the RABS codes before for a different issue, I do understand how to do it. When I tried a couple of weeks ago for this issue, I spent ~20 minutes trying different things. Making sure I had a good ground, connection, etc. I am not able to make the ABS light flash codes.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:13 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RIKIL
I have pulled the RABS codes before for a different issue, I do understand how to do it. When I tried a couple of weeks ago for this issue, I spent ~20 minutes trying different things. Making sure I had a good ground, connection, etc. I am not able to make the ABS light flash codes.
I understand that wasn't trying to suggest otherwise, wanted to mention I was kinda surprised at how long had to hold ground before light started flashing. I had tried more than once by that point and was that moment when I discovered had I just held it longer to start with well would have cut down on the frustration factor quite a bit.

I was already border line going to eliminate it anyway but figured what da heck maybe I can just fix it a minute be done with it at least for the time being.
Going "by the book" I was getting no place fast letting off to soon so at one point and because mad at that point, I grounded it out and held it either flash the light or go up in flames but wasn't letting off until one of the two happen.
Lo and behold after what seemed like forever but in reality maybe 30 seconds of maintaining the ground, the light started flashing.

From that point forward I haven't had any trouble getting it started figured out that couple quick seconds suggested in the book ain't gonna get it not even close.