6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Excited!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 AM
brendanmitchell
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excited!

So, I finally got myself a truck... After about a year of looking for the right one, I know, picky. I bought an 05 F250 Lariat off my buddy for payoff on his loan, so I got a good deal. Also helps to know who you're dealing with and exactly what they did and how they treated the truck. Truck just broke 178k by myself, and it's pretty much everything I wanted. I also took your guys' advice and went with a stock truck, besides the lift and wheels and all the "glitsy" stuff. So, with the money I had saved up for this purchase, I went ahead and ordered an egr delete kit, coolant filtration system, and a new oil cooler. I plan on tackling this project myself, with the help of some guys from work who also own diesels and have been working on cars/trucks their whole life. I know that this doesn't mean that they're experts or anything, but I wouldn't trust just anybody with my truck.

And FYI, I ordered the PMM egr delete kit (lifetime warranty) and coolant filtration system. For the oil cooler, I talked to another 6.0 owner at work who did his oil cooler himself, and he recommended I just get the OEM oil cooler kit, so I ordered it off of eBay.

Also, to clear things up, there's no problems with the truck that signal any of these things causing problems or going out, I just want to avoid the problem ahead of time so that I'm not spending money on a new motor or turbo or anything.

If I'm forgetting anything, or you want more info, just go ahead and ask me. ALSO, ALL TIPS AND TRICKS YOU GUYS HAVE FOR THIS JOB ARE MUCH APPRECIATED AND WANTED! Thanks, guys, until next time...

-Brendan

Old 04-09-2014, 03:22 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Sounds like a nice ride, you will have post up a few pictures.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:15 PM
brendanmitchell
Junior User
Thanks, man. Just called a buddy of mine who is a diesel tech and asked him to price the egr delete and oil cooler install for me, and he said $800 will cover em both. To me, it sounds like a good deal, and well worth it at that. As far as the filtration system goes, he said he'd have to take a look at it. It eliminates the risk of me and somebody else messing something even more inportant up, and it's about $1700 cheaper than what a shop quoted me on the oil cooler. What do you guys think?

Old 04-09-2014, 05:51 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Congratulations on the "new" truck!!!! You will love it!

Now,You say nothing is wrong with the truck,Yet you bought a new oil cooler?

Do you know the TRUE health of the truck?What I'm getting at is,Do you have some way of reading live data?ScanGauge II,DashDaq etc...?

If you are reading live data and your delta's are fine,Buying a new oil cooler is wasted money IMO.

To many guy's start changing good parts with good parts just because somebody said that that part away's fails.

I've alway's followed the motto "If it isn't broke don't fix it".

I'm not picking on you,I'm just saying...Again Congratulations on the new truck!!!!

Old 04-09-2014, 05:56 PM
brendanmitchell
Junior User
Originally Posted by nico963
Congratulations on the "new" truck!!!! You will love it!

Now,You say nothing is wrong with the truck,Yet you bought a new oil cooler?

Do you know the TRUE health of the truck?What I'm getting at is,Do you have some way of reading live data?ScanGauge II,DashDaq etc...?

If you are reading live data and your delta's are fine,Buying a new oil cooler is wasted money IMO.

To many guy's start changing good parts with good parts just because somebody said that that part away's fails.

I've alway's followed the motto "If it isn't broke don't fix it".

I'm not picking on you,I'm just saying...Again Congratulations on the new truck!!!!
The only thing I have that does any kind of monitoring is my SCT Livewire TS, that tells me engine oil temp and coolant temps, along with airflow #/min and a few other things. Basically the reason why I bought the oil cooler is a) when the egr delete kit goes in, everything that needs to be off for the oil cooler will be off, thus saving me time and money in the future and b) I'm scared of waiting for it to go bad if it does end up going, and causing more damage than what could be prevented. Does that make sense? Sorry, I'm a worry wart when it comes to things like this. Lol

Old 04-09-2014, 05:59 PM
KIDkiser
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We'll if your going to go ahead and put the cooler in go ahead and do a vc9 flush first.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 PM
brendanmitchell
Junior User
Originally Posted by KIDkiser
We'll if your going to go ahead and put the cooler in go ahead and do a vc9 flush first.
Was planning on it, thanks!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:21 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by brendanmitchell
The only thing I have that does any kind of monitoring is my SCT Livewire TS, that tells me engine oil temp and coolant temps, along with airflow #/min and a few other things. Basically the reason why I bought the oil cooler is a) when the egr delete kit goes in, everything that needs to be off for the oil cooler will be off, thus saving me time and money in the future and b) I'm scared of waiting for it to go bad if it does end up going, and causing more damage than what could be prevented. Does that make sense? Sorry, I'm a worry wart when it comes to things like this. Lol
What are your delta's?If your temps are good,Then there good.Too alleviate that worry,Do yourself a favor and get a ScanGauge II so your not guessing if you have any issues,You'll know.

Trust me,I know about the worry.I think I have ulcers from worrying about my truck for the first few years.And guess what?Nothing has ever gone wrong with the truck.I don't have NEAR the miles as you either.

Being a first time 6.0 owner can be overwhelming.The best thing you can do is read,read and read some more on the site.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:35 PM
brendanmitchell
Junior User
What are your delta's?If your temps are good,Then there good.Too alleviate that worry,Do yourself a favor and get a ScanGauge II so your not guessing if you have any issues,You'll know.

Trust me,I know about the worry.I think I have ulcers from worrying about my truck for the first few years.And guess what?Nothing has ever gone wrong with the truck.I don't have NEAR the miles as you either.

Being a first time 6.0 owner can be overwhelming.The best thing you can do is read,read and read some more on the site.
I've been reading and asking around as much as I possibly can lately. Most people I've talked to said that if the truck made it past the 120k-130k range with no problems, then you more than likely are good to go. I don't know how true that is, but it's a pretty common answer so far. I would just feel so much more secure with the egr gone and the oil cooler replaced. I don't know, maybe I'm trying to "fix what isn't broke!"

Old 04-09-2014, 07:20 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by brendanmitchell
I've been reading and asking around as much as I possibly can lately. Most people I've talked to said that if the truck made it past the 120k-130k range with no problems, then you more than likely are good to go. I don't know how true that is, but it's a pretty common answer so far. I would just feel so much more secure with the egr gone and the oil cooler replaced. I don't know, maybe I'm trying to "fix what isn't broke!"
Hey,It's your truck,Your money,You know what I mean?

Now post up some pics of that new truck!!!

We love pics on here!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:22 PM
brendanmitchell
Junior User

We love pics on here!
As soon as i get home I'll do that! Do you have to have an embed link for pics on this forum? ie will I need to create some sort of flickr or photobucket account?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:29 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Photobucket works good.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:32 PM
brendanmitchell
Junior User
Originally Posted by 9228.bobcat
Photobucket works good.
Thanks, brother! I'll post em up tonight. And just fyi, these pictures are about 1-2 years old, but the truck still looks the same. I'll also get pics of the interior to share with you guys.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:09 AM
brendanmitchell
Junior User
Old 04-10-2014, 02:16 AM
brendanmitchell
Junior User

We love pics on here!
Pics are up!

Quick Reply: Excited!