1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

From a V8 to V6 What the....?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:10 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tx2sturgis
Thanks George.

The error may have something to do with the speedometer error....rather than a calculation error or fuel flow error.

I have noticed the speedometer is about 3-4 mph off when it indicates 70 mph....my trusty gps indicates about 66...so this may account for the discrepancy. (I have not checked the odometer, but assume its off by the same amount)

In other words, the 'optimistic' speedometer reading may also translate to an 'optimistic' miles per gallon calculation.

Hmmmm...

When you calculate mileage by hand, are you using odometer mileage or GPS mileage?

Oddly, I have read about a number of car companies that purposely overstate speedometer mph to allow for people putting on bigger tires, etc. but whose odometers don't over-read because that would be lawsuit material with regard to warranties ending sooner than they should....

Just a thought. I'd check the odometer using the GPS as well.

George

Old 08-29-2014, 04:34 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up mods

Originally Posted by YoGeorge
When you calculate mileage by hand, are you using odometer mileage or GPS mileage?

Oddly, I have read about a number of car companies that purposely overstate speedometer mph to allow for people putting on bigger tires, etc. but whose odometers don't over-read because that would be lawsuit material with regard to warranties ending sooner than they should....

Just a thought. I'd check the odometer using the GPS as well.

George
Well now....you have a good point. If the odometer on the van is reading optimistically, then my own manual calculations would be off by the same amount.

Another 'hmmmm' creeps in.

DOT approval of USA vehicles allows a certain error in the odometer and speedometer...based on averages and mass production tolerances. They dont have to be 'exact'.

In fact, on my touring bike with electronic speedometer, I have installed a Speedohealer to correct the error...which was about 10% optimistic. 70 mph would be indicated, and only traveling at about 62. As you ride along at what you think is the speed limit...EVERYBODY passes you.

On the bike, the unit connects between the speed sensor on the final drive and the harness leading up to the speedometer. On a side note...the bike speedometer/odometer is built with what is called 'skew' error...the speedo is off by MORE than the odo. That way the speed can read optimistic, while the odometer is close to accurate. Wonders of technology.

I wonder if a device similar to the Speedohealer is available for Ford vehicles to correct for gearing and tire size changes?

HealTech Electronics Ltd. ? Smart Tech for your Ride ? SpeedoHealer v4