351c 4v headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 AM
quaallen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 351c 4v headers

Well I've ben having one hell of a time.. About a year back I found out my 351c 4v had 2v headers on it...... So I had to replace them..... It is impossible to find headers that fit a 79,f1504x4 manual trans...... I bnaughta set of trick flow... Didn't work .. Took em back naughta set of hookers for a 4 speed got em home thought they would work ... Had to heat up and smack one pipe on passenger side .... Then driver side ,,,, well had to cut lots off cause of the z bar and the collector ran right into the front drive shaft... So here I am stuck with $200+ in headers that are chopped up... I welded in a new pipe to fit on the passenger side.... But the drivers side is ****...Iam thinking of having a shop run me pipes down in front of z bar and under oil pan and put the collector over by the passenger side one... Thats going to be one long dumb looking header.... But i am desperate... I need to play in my truck.... Its for woods only so and got to be show boat quality... Sorry for rambling on... HAS ANYONE FOUND A SOLUTION for 351c 4v headers in a 4speed 4x4 f150.... Thought of cutting old pipes and putting them on new pipes but they sound a lot thinner and they hang too low for my Liking's.... And manifolds are stupid expensive... PLEASE HELP

Old 04-06-2014, 11:39 AM
hollenjoe
Posting Guru
well, why don't you try buying a set of cheap 4v headers (150 or so) and remove the flange and use it on the 2v headers? Its not a big deal...

Old 04-06-2014, 11:57 AM
quaallen
Senior User
I've thought of just doing that with the ones I have... But the old 2v headers sound a lot thinner... Age I think... That and they hang low... I'd like to keep it tucked up in and I don'twant to ruin a pperfectly good set of headers again ... But if I can't come up with something else I probably will.. Cause I am getting frustrated....

Old 04-06-2014, 12:28 PM
quaallen
Senior User
Plus on the driver side the front to pipes (closest to radiator) come out of the flange different then on my other set ... I think it may cause issues..

Old 04-06-2014, 01:37 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
Your gonna need to have them custom made. The reason your 2v headers fit at all is because they are more than likely for the 400/351M that your 79 could have came with. They used the same heads as the 2v 351C. They never put a 4v 351C in your truck so your not gonna find a pair that will just fall in.

Custom made headers or factory manifolds are your options.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:49 PM
quaallen
Senior User
Not to sound like an *** but I already know all that info.... I was just wondering if anybody found another solution... Thank you though for the input... I wish I knew a buddy that could do it for me.... Our shop here will just be might welding together some. Hell I can do that... If I had a bender that is.. Lol... Welp might as well sell the truck...

Old 04-06-2014, 02:57 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
Yea, I've looked for headers for a long time to fit in my truck. Closest I've found are the 400 headers. I've decided against them for now. I might have some custom tailored to fit and tuned for the best torque, but not til I can afford them.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:01 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
What diameter tubing were your old headers? What diameter tubing are the new headers? If they are close could you just cut the flanges off the new 4v headers (leaving some stub tubing) and weld those onto the old 2v headers. Doesn't fix the hanging low part but maybe that could be adjusted depending on where you cut each set of headers?

Old 04-07-2014, 06:01 PM
quaallen
Senior User
I thought about splicing the two headers together but some of the pipes come out of the flang at different angels... For example on one set a port comes straight out while on the other set that same port goes straight down.... I don't know how much of an issue this will be... I may have to get a tool to make it round again then maybe it'll work... But I am hesitant to ruin the good set of headers... But that may be my only choice because I can not afford one off headers rite now or even know where to get them made in Ohio...

Old 04-09-2014, 01:05 PM
candoo
Senior User
I have a stroked 351C in my 70mach1 with FPA headers. Very nice units but pricey.
If you talk to Stan he might be able to help. I cannot imaging a tighter fit that my Mustang. I have Trick Flow 190's and Stan had me order custom flanges which he used to build my headers.

FPA =- Ford Performance Applications.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...o/DSC01176.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...o/DSC01183.jpg

Old 04-09-2014, 03:52 PM
BuzzLOL
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
. The problem is less "tight fit" than where the things are we have to get past...

. I have auto trans, the 1 5/8" pipe headers for 4WD are readily available cheap, but 1 3/4" primaries ones say they don't fit...

. Not sure if he is saying 2V headers sound "thinner" or 'tinny'... if there is an exhaust system, muffler placement can change the tone... mufflers up front sound mellower rumble... putting mufflers to rear of vehicle can give a higher pitched tone... car/truck manufacturers spend $millions getting their exhaust systems to sound 'just right'... and sometimes still fail like the Dodge Vipers V10 sounding like garbage trucks...

Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 AM
candoo
Senior User
You need to check out SPD exaust and build you own. They are the ones that CNC ed my flanges.

Exhaust Components - SPD Home Page B

Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 PM
quaallen
Senior User
Thank you All for replys... First when I say my.2v headers sound thin I mean if you tap them with your finger nail they sound thinner then my 4v headers... I don't want to cut them to find out... And I will look into them custom made headers ... I just don't have the money for them... I don't need flash. Its a woods only truck.. And its not so much a tight fit its zbar and front drive shaft that gives me the pain in my ****....

Old 04-10-2014, 08:11 PM
quaallen
Senior User
What ever happen to people working for a case of beer????

Old 04-10-2014, 08:21 PM
quaallen
Senior User
Somebody wanna give me a set of manifolds... Hehe

Quick Reply: 351c 4v headers