1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-19-2014, 07:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Lifetime LED Headlights (Review)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:26 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Lifetime LED Headlights (Review)

I picked up a set of Lifetime LED headlights. They are 5000k, which is pure white, and are supposed to produce 2100 lumens, about that of HIDs. The also require much less electricity to run. What is interesting is each bulb has integrated fans, but don't worry, they are IP68 and backed by a lifetime warranty. With a name like that they better be!

I got a set for my 2005 headlights, but be mindful I have a converted front end. Because of this I did have to open up the hole in the metal support a little to clear the base of the bulbs. Less than 15 minutes with a grinder and about 1/4" on each side is all it took. I have heard that the 99-04 headlights don't distribute the high beam light well. Yes, they are high/low. This is accomplished with 1 LED for Low and 2 for high.

Overall install was easy even with the modifications needed. I need to get a night shot but even during the day the difference is clear. They are way brighter than my Phillips Xtream Power. (For those who haven't used them, they are comparable to the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra, which I have also used).

The lights also perfectly match my LED light bar which is a plus. I will get some night shots using my DSLR so I can control aprature exposure etc...

Attached Images   
Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
looks interesting. I think I'm still going to wait and let others do some more "testing".

I put Kensun Brand, 35 watt, 6k HID's in the wifes Escalade Fogs and those are amazing. It already had OEM 6k headlights. Even aimed towards the ground to ensure I don't blind others...well, it lights up the road incredibly well. Truly a "Night and Day" difference.

Please keep this thread updated with your impressions of those LED lights. I can see them easily being the wave of the future. How much did they run (if you don't mind me asking)?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Dwood63
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a picture of the actual bulb?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:50 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

I will keep you updated. They are $145 plus shipping. So far I like them. The sun has set and there is a difference. As you said night and day. (Well... Not compared to my 50" ) but an improvement indeed.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:51 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Dwood63
Do you have a picture of the actual bulb?
Only the stock image.

Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2014, 12:29 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I've been very curious about these for awhile. I love my HIDs and have no real issue with them but we always want the newest and best right?

if you can could you get pics at night showing the beam pattern (like on a wall) and then into a road or something?

I too will wait for others to test them out and i'll wait and see.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I've been very curious about these for awhile. I love my HIDs and have no real issue with them but we always want the newest and best right?

if you can could you get pics at night showing the beam pattern (like on a wall) and then into a road or something?

I too will wait for others to test them out and i'll wait and see.
You and your HIDs... These don't come in super blue

I had thought about HIDs but I don't like HIDs as much. It seems like they go out far too often between cheap brands and faulty bulbs.

LED should last much longer, because, well ... LED. Plus life time warranty.

I'll get beam pattern pics tonight. I get off at 3am

Old 03-31-2014, 12:52 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
You and your HIDs... These don't come in super blue

I had thought about HIDs but I don't like HIDs as much. It seems like they go out far too often between cheap brands and faulty bulbs.

LED should last much longer, because, well ... LED. Plus life time warranty.

I'll get beam pattern pics tonight. I get off at 3am
where did that come from? i dont go for blue, 6K is my limit (i did run 8Ks for a few years in the expedition though) and 6k is pretty white with just a hint of blueish i suppose.

I've had great reliability with the HID's since 2004 only 4 bulbs with various kits on different trucks over the years i'd call that pretty good for under $100 Kits

Thats my main concern is, from what i can find my HIDs are about 3100 Lumens and i really dont want to loose any light since it is very hard to come by in this location of the world half of the year. Right now my HIDs throw wayyy down the road on highbeam and low beams are 100x better then stock as far as distance and general lighting. My biggest fear of the LED's is not having enough light or a good pattern.

my real reason for possibly switching is instant on/off, with the HIDs you better have your lights on before flashing someone. plus it would be nice to be able to leave my headlights in the auto mode (lazy i know).

This may sway me on my new F-150 from HID's we'll see! looking forward to your pics

Old 03-31-2014, 03:12 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Haha I'm just giving you a hard time. I remember one picture had some pretty blue lights. But it could be camera trickery from all that snow.

These throw pretty good light so far. Lit up my friends garage in the middle of the day. As far as pattern, I'll have to aim my headlights.

Can you not leave your lights in auto with HIDs?

Are you getting a brand new F150? They come with LED headlights now.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:03 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
As far as pattern, I'll have to aim my headlight.
I thought this was the issue with placing aftermarket bulbs in stock housings, how do you not blind oncoming cars, cars more than trucks? Stock housings don't have that sharp cutoff to prevent blinding like projectors do. No doubt that the led's would be brighter, I would not want to be coming in the opposite direction as you.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:33 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

I aimed my headlights tonight and there is a pretty good cut off on the wall.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:37 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
And no PICS - Are you DAFT !?!?

MUCH cleaner look to the leds' ! and the price was $145 per side ? where did you get them ?

I'd like to upgrade my truck's too...
but really was spoiled by the xenon's in the wife's Audi that looked like a razor had cutoff the top portion...
even her 13's Explorer Sports projectors are better than my trucks...

Old 03-31-2014, 08:48 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
like a razor had cutoff the top portion...
That's the cutoff i'm referring too. Without that its blinding to oncoming cars.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:52 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am researching these exact LED lights as well. $145 is for a pair, not per side. Life should be good but I am worried about the fans. What I need to know is if the beam pattern is retained the same as the stock beam pattern. That is the issue with the HID bulb only kits, the beam pattern is not good. You say you re-aimed the headlights - 2005 only have up and down, not side to side adjustment - did you need to re-aim because the beam pattern changed, or just did it for fun? I re-aim mine regularly to match the load - if I have an empty bed or if I am fully loaded the headlight cut-off height changes dramatically, so I pull out the tool and readjust.

Brian

Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Originally Posted by MC5C
That is the issue with the HID bulb only kits, the beam pattern is not good.

Brian
The beam pattern on our trucks is not good to begin with, its not that much of an issue because the bulbs are not that bright. Stick in a brighter bulb like HID or LED will only magnify the poor beam pattern. It will not have that sharp cut-off line.

Quick Reply: Lifetime LED Headlights (Review)