1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not your typical Single Cab truck.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not your typical Single Cab truck.

This will be a long read but pics are included . I don't really know where to post it since it is borderline OT, well here goes.

I have been handed down my Grandfathers beloved 1939 Ford COE.(cab over engine). I have always been very close to Him and He was always like a father to me, through thick and thin. He had many jobs over his life, everything from working in body shops, garages and even a welder for Case Tractor co in Chicago. He finished out his career and a machinist for the Chicago Sun Times, after 32 years working there he finally hung up his hat and begun to enjoy retirement (1996) at 65 years old.

Through His life He was always taking things apart and seeing how they work. It was a pretty common sight to see him always turning wrenches on what he loved most, Cars. Over they years hes had many late 30's-early 40's Lincolns, Model A's and T's. As long as I can remember he always was restoring one and getting another. He was a distinguished member of countless car clubs including The Lincoln Car club. Lots of his work was featured in countless Streetrodder and other car magazines.

Fast forward to the past 10 years. He saw a 1939 COE truck in a magazine and told me "Its so ugly its cute". Well a few weeks later it was delivered in very bad shape. Someone started doing work on it and stopped. The cab was partially caved in, rust had set in bad, was on an 80's E series frame but overall cobbled together.

Over the years he put in all new cab corners, fenders you name it he did it 100% by himself at 70 years old. The frame it currently sits on is from a 79 K10 Blazer that is shortened 36 inches to fit the cab and an 8' bed. The drive-line was from a 1996 Corvette so its got some get up and go!

The project came to a standstill when his health took a turn for the worst 2 years ago. He battled heart problems from birth in 1936 and contracted rheumatic fever in 1947 and he was only one of 10 kids that survived in his ward. That left permanent scarring on the valves in his heart and compounded over time. He went through 4 open heart surgeries in his lifetime. He fought long and hard to see this truck through till the end, Even if it meant dragging his oxygen tank to the interior shop just to go look at his work being finished.

The truck got 100% finished in October and he was able to enjoy his truck finally. He was able to cruise around to every car show he could find and show it off to everyone. He really put a simile on everyone who saw it.

Sadly Early January he took a turn for the worse again. It was a long time coming but God called him home on January 24th 2014. Over the past few months I have finally got it in me to share the story behind the Legend who built it and show it off for years to come.

Here are some of the pictures of the truck I took today and a few older ones. I only have a few of the actual building but I will post them once I scan them if anyone is interested in the process it took to get it back on the road.

Here is a link with another shot of the truck before the interior went in

Sadly, we’ve lost some friends. | Gary Ghertner's Time Machine

Sorry for the long post, I just figure I need to share the truck!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:35 PM
M992wd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's always hard to lose someone close to you, but remember our time on this earth is just a short part of Gods plan for us. It looks like he did some beautiful work here. Very cool truck and thank you for sharing it. But a Chevy frame and driveline?!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Originally Posted by M992wd
It's always hard to lose someone close to you, but remember our time on this earth is just a short part of Gods plan for us. It looks like he did some beautiful work here. Very cool truck and thank you for sharing it. But a Chevy frame and driveline?!
Yea, He always used to say " I wish I put a carbed 302 in". He got the driveline from a friend so he used what he had available. The K10 frame was the only thing that lined up remotely close with the cab, which is the other main reason. The Ford frames were too wide.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Pit Crew
Senior User
Sorry for your loss...Awesome truck, don't ever get rid of it.Hand it down to your kids and share the memories.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:33 PM
gcfisher75
Senior User
Awesome read, Sorry for your loss, But you are left with the memories that you will have forever and one beautiful truck! Is the truck still 4 wheel drive?

Old 03-30-2014, 08:23 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Grandpa did nice work, and his vision of his truck turned out fabulous, should be nothing short of a joy to own, every time you turn that key you'll remember him.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:09 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
Grandpa did nice work, and his vision of his truck turned out fabulous, should be nothing short of a joy to own, every time you turn that key you'll remember him.
Thanks! Yea it's a fun little truck, They never came as small pickups they were usually tow trucks or used in heavier applications. When he got it it believe it was a tow truck at one point. It was orange with green pinstripes. The wooden floors were still intact. The donor truck was 2wd so that's how he kept it. Cab wise all the chrome is original minus the bumpers, grab handles and the chrome grill trim.

The frame was also shortened 6 inches from the coil spring buckets foreword. The brakes are custom made from an old hydroboost setup from an F350. The seats are from a 61 triumph herald cope he got for scrap. I'll get a few more pics of all the custom work he did. The radiator is the original 6 core monster that he adapted new water outlets too make the radiator work with the motor.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:48 PM
ccstp
Senior User
Holy moly. That thing is sweeeeeet. I cant believe that was what a stock truck looked like back then. There is so much style in the design, its like a piece of art as much as it is a vehicle. It looks like a cartoon truck. Very cool truck and awesome story. Wow

Old 03-30-2014, 10:21 PM
jmtbiggin
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet truck,light those rear tires up like Papa would. Sorry for your loss

Old 03-30-2014, 10:31 PM
damarble
Elder User
That truck is really cool, even if it is all Chevy underneath. I'm glad he was able to enjoy it at least for a little while.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
That thing is awesome. Grandpa did good on the truck.

Just being me though it would be so awesome to have a 5 speed mated to the corvette engine with a stick up and just over the dog house. Doing wicked burnouts at all the shows.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:43 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, that's a great story and truck. Best wishes!!

Old 03-31-2014, 12:24 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Great story and your Grandpa did a wonderful job with the build. Very clean and classy with just the right touches of "Kool". My thoughts are with you and your family as i can't imagine the loss.

I read the story and could not help but be overwhelmed with emotion. My Grandpa is of nearly the same age (77) and i've spent as much time as possible with him and my grandma since i was born (they even had custody for awhile) and even though both of my grandparents are in good health and grandpa still works every day i know every day i'm loosing time (and that scares me to death). Please cherish the truck as i know you will and enjoy it as he would have liked. This post will make me hug mine a little tighter each day i have them.

Thanks for the post and story.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:24 AM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, but glad to get to read your story. Your grandpa did an amazing job on the truck and I would also be holding onto it to pass down to your kids one day. Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-31-2014, 04:47 AM
Pit Crew
Senior User
Kdr358, was wondering if kdr are your initials. My son is Kyle David Richards born 308

Quick Reply: Not your typical Single Cab truck.