Sponsored by: Moser

Trouble with my 1974 F250

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 AM
James Hiller
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble with my 1974 F250

Ok hopefully someone can help, here is the story.

my truck did start super easy but over the few days it would sit the battery would run down and need a boost but then it would start right up first turn so yesterday after putting the new exhaust on i took it to the store (bout a mile away) pulled in filled her up and went inside to get a snack and then came out to a no start so i figured it was the battery and called my friend for a jump which did nothing so we pulled the battery took it and charged it and still nothing so we push started it (4speed truck) drove it home pulled the started to have it check, pulled the alternator also and got it checked, both checked out just fine but for good measure i replaced both with new, get home same issue
then replaced the cables from the solenoid to the starter and then the solenoid and then the cables to the solenoid to battery and then the solenoid and still the same no start issue prevails....im at a loss please help

Old 03-25-2014, 11:20 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Welcome to FTE.
Did you have the battery checked also?
Did you replace the battery ground cable too? If not, check both ends of the cable. Be sure that the ground is connected to a clean point on the engine block. Clean the terminal end of the cable and the battery terminal too. Be sure ALL connections are clean and tight.
I suspect a bad ground, a common problem with a "no start".

Old 03-25-2014, 11:53 AM
James Hiller
New User
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
Welcome to FTE.
Did you have the battery checked also?
Did you replace the battery ground cable too? If not, check both ends of the cable. Be sure that the ground is connected to a clean point on the engine block. Clean the terminal end of the cable and the battery terminal too. Be sure ALL connections are clean and tight.
I suspect a bad ground, a common problem with a "no start".
battery checked out fine, didnt replace the ground cable but its getting replaced right now, terminals are clean like new.
connections are clean and tight everywhere else.
hope its the ground cuz im at a loss if its not

Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Other than the "no start". What other symptoms are you experiencing. Like does is sound like the starter isn't engaging? Are you getting a clicking sound like you get with a dead battery? Or do you simply turn the key and nothing, just dead silence?

Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
What happens if you jiggle the key in the ignition? Have you jiggled the key in the ignition. Did you inspect the flywheel while you had the starter off? We need more info.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:40 PM
James Hiller
New User
Ignition switch is brand new, i just replaced the ground cable from the battery to the block and though it didn't start it did very slowly turn the engine, so i'm thinking it could be the battery though on the multimeter it reads 12.65v but on the charger it shows as 25% charged so i'm a little baffled but i am gonna go get a load tester and re-test the battery and i am thinking about adding a secondary ground strap from the block to the frame just for good measure

Old 03-25-2014, 12:43 PM
James Hiller
New User
Originally Posted by paredneck33
Other than the "no start". What other symptoms are you experiencing. Like does is sound like the starter isn't engaging? Are you getting a clicking sound like you get with a dead battery? Or do you simply turn the key and nothing, just dead silence?
clicking sound like a dead battery

Old 03-25-2014, 01:32 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
yes clicking sound. When a battery doesn't have enough of a charge to actually crank the engine you get a clicking sound from the solenoid. Again what symptoms are you experiencing? That will help in correctly diagnosing you issues.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by James Hiller
my truck did start super easy but over the few days it would sit the battery would run down and need a boost but then it would start right up

Sounds like something is slowly draining the battery. A wire missing some insulation, shorting to ground? A dead cell (or two)? Have you checked each cell for its specific gravity? Filled each cell with distilled water before charging it?

The solenoid needs to be grounded properly, too, as well as good, clean, tight connections.

A good battery wouldn't lose it's charge just sitting for a few days without some kind of load draining it.

My truck sat for over a week with the temperature in low teens during the day and single (and below 0) digits at night, and started up (but a little labored) when I could get out to run it.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:00 PM
James Hiller
New User
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast
Sounds like something is slowly draining the battery. A wire missing some insulation, shorting to ground? A dead cell (or two)? Have you checked each cell for its specific gravity? Filled each cell with distilled water before charging it?

The solenoid needs to be grounded properly, too, as well as good, clean, tight connections.

A good battery wouldn't lose it's charge just sitting for a few days without some kind of load draining it.

My truck sat for over a week with the temperature in low teens during the day and single (and below 0) digits at night, and started up (but a little labored) when I could get out to run it.

I haven't checked the battery water levels, though i have chased and replaced almost all wires as i too thought it was a wire grounding out causing it to die so quickly, right now the battery tested at 12.41 volts but it only had 375cca instead of the 650cca it should have, also the truck has now started but after driving it around the block and shutting it off the battery wouldn't turn it over so i suspect bad battery right now and will know shortly if that is the case

Old 03-25-2014, 03:15 PM
hickory1991
Fleet Mechanic

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by James Hiller
I haven't checked the battery water levels, though i have chased and replaced almost all wires as i too thought it was a wire grounding out causing it to die so quickly, right now the battery tested at 12.41 volts but it only had 375cca instead of the 650cca it should have, also the truck has now started but after driving it around the block and shutting it off the battery wouldn't turn it over so i suspect bad battery right now and will know shortly if that is the case
How old is the battery. Sounds to me like you have some bad cells in battery.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:24 PM
James Hiller
New User
Originally Posted by hickory1991
Battery is 5yrs old now and I do also think battery issue, wish i had gone here first before replacing the starter and the solenoind and all the cables.....time consuming and not exactly cheap but the batt. read 12.65v and nothing was happening so i just kept going down the line only to return to the battery

Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep that battery sounds like it's junk. When you replace it, the batteries from walmart work great. Most folks say they don't, but I havent had an issue yet with mine. I've got an 800CCA battery from there for $85. One cold wisconsin winter later and its still good as new!

Old 03-25-2014, 04:03 PM
James Hiller
New User
Originally Posted by hickory1991
Battery is 5yrs old now and I do also think battery issue, wish i had gone here first before replacing the starter and the solenoind and all the cables.....time consuming and not exactly cheap but the batt. read 12.65v and nothing was happening so i just kept going down the line only to return to the battery

Old 03-25-2014, 06:23 PM
James Hiller
New User
Tnak you everyone for the good help, turns out it was a ****e battery

Quick Reply: Trouble with my 1974 F250