1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Thinking of selling, give me your value of it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:07 PM
lurch460
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of selling, give me your value of it.

Thinking of selling my truck. I have had it since I was 16, its a solid western truck. 1975 f250 4x4. The body is clean and solid. I painted 8 years ago and it started to peel and rust, basically from sitting. I have the bed in primer, the cab needs some work, starting to rust under the glass a little. Most everything else needs scuffed and sprayed again.
The frame is beautiful and por-15.
Has dana 60s front and rear 410. The front 60 is new from the kingpins out.
Has the 78-79 power steering.
4inch skyjacker front springs. Rears are stockers and add a leafs and blocks.
Has a mid 60s 390 in it. Runs good but needs some love , has a tick, needs the valve guides down and sometimes the oil pressure is weird and gets low,but come back up
np435 been rebuilt
np205 works
Has no front driveshaft because headers interfer with the hp 60. Was thinking of doing a cummins swap so never worried about fixing the header.
I have some 38.5-14.50/16 procomp extreme all terrains, but havent gotten wheels yet
Interior is okay nothing special. vinyl floor, saddle set cover on a 90s seat.
The fuel tank is custom built stainless in frame 20 gallon, uses a stock fuel door to fill in the bedside.

I am 27 owned since I was 16 my first truck. It just sits and I fiddle with it when i want to . Was thinking of doing a diesel and turning it into my work truck, but I need a supercab. I live out of my truck for work and cant got back to a regular cab for everday.
I hate to see whats happening to it from sitting. I have another truck, and a house and other responsibilites to take care of, so this just gets my spare money. I am really jonesing for a motorcycle lately. I work a lot and don'[t have the time or money to put into it to do what I want right now.

I know this useless without pics, ill get some soon and post but give me an idea as to what you think it might be worth. I am in the Pittsburgh area, so keep that in mind,rust is the issue with them around here and mine is clean.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:12 PM
jamusfam
Senior User
5 bucks lol just kidding. Ya idk. I've seen in my area from 700 to more than 7 grand.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:28 PM
lurch460
Senior User
Thats my problem, it seems prices are all over the place in my area. And have know clue what they are actually selling for.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:33 PM
jamusfam
Senior User
Sad to say but I could always refer you to my exwifes husband. They are in Montana looking for an older nice truck. I'd buy it if I had the money. But yeah don't rush to sell either. You want someone who knows what they got and not some kid who's going to drive it into the ground.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:42 PM
lurch460
Senior User
Never expect to get what I have into back. I don't even have a clue as to what I have into it. Was never about that for me. I was thinking in the 4000 range, I know what it is and whats there, hard to find other people that do too.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:48 PM
77&79F250
Received 3,347 Likes on 2,489 Posts
You will regret selling it the very next day.....rust free and east coast, should bring more than common market, of 2 to 4K for a F250. IMO

Description sounds like all the right pieces D60's, FE motor, 435/205, newer p/s swap....I see all that for 4 to 6K easy all day on the C list.

Put it on the FTE classified, start high a little higher and come down till it hurts if you are jonesin that bad for a 2 wheeler.

Good luck, you could run a test the water/feeler add on the c-list to see it there is any real interest in it.

Have your anti dumb a.. lowball offer (Lord grant me patience) hat on, cause you know its coming.

Right off the FAQ's, tips &tricks, projects and forum info page:

Truck Values
Truck Values can be estimated from information found in the classifieds here as well as local "Auto Trader" type magazines.
You can also find some reference prices on the NADA site under the "classic" section.
More companies to check: Truck Trader Online and Hemmings
If you are looking for an eBay "value" watch eBay for a while for similar trucks. Only you can evaluate your truck with respect to other trucks that are listed.
If you want a solid value take it to a couple of professional vehicle appraisers. They know exactly what to look for and can give an accurate value. We can only give wild guesses. The appraiser can see oil leaks, smoke, bad paint, rust, hear noises, etc etc.
Parts Values can best be determined from the Classifieds, eBay, or calling salvage yards.
FTE also has CLASSIFIED ADS for buying and selling vehicles and parts.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:14 PM
lurch460
Senior User
The truck is no means perfect, it needs work. I had it for sale awhile ago for 6800, had two guys look at it, no offers. Thats when it looked like the pic next to my name,on 42s.

And yes 77&79 I will regret selling it, I know that. I am having a really hard time, its my first vehicle and its a cool one. I know 30 years from now I will be kicking myself. Might just take it apart till it fits in my garage and keep it till Im ready to really do it.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:24 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I actually have often thought about selling my blue 77 because right now its just not practical with wife and 2 kids. We all can't fit in it for a ride. I only have a 2 car garage and so my 75 supercab and wifeys van is in there while my car sits outside. I use my 75 for pulling camper and an all around driver. When I started my 77 which was back in 06, I thought for sure I'd be in a different place to accommodate my stuff, but things have turned out that I am not able right now. So the 77 sits in nebraska in my brothers storage shed. He takes nice care of it and I drive it about twice a year right now. I keep thinking that I should sell it but I would regret every bit of it and as long as I have a place to store it and someone to look after it than I don't mind. I still have some future plans to it if able. I think you will regret selling and maybe try finding a storage place for it for now until you have time and resources to work on it. Year by year these trucks do get more scarce. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:35 PM
lurch460
Senior User
well ***** wonka understand what you are saying, but my truck has more than what I posted going for it. New bumpers, which I took off and am storing inside since Im not using it right now. Stuff like borgeson steering shaft, hell the fuel tank is a giant plus, I know how much it sucks having an in cab, this tank works great,my dad made it years ago. NOS mirrors, a lot of little stuff that's new and never even installed. The whole steering and front axle is mostly brand new.

Heading to get pics soon. Try to post asap

Old 03-23-2014, 03:58 PM
jamusfam
Senior User
I will say I know that my truck I will never sell it even for a million. I've regretted selling my explorer but its transmission went out and had no choice. But yeah my Honda I'll sell before the truck. Bucks77ford like you I've thought of it but realize for me its more than just a truck and has meaning.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:59 PM
77&79F250
Received 3,347 Likes on 2,489 Posts
Old 03-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Thats his truck?! Thats a beauty! Sell it for $4000? Lol, you will kick yourself hard.

Post it up in different Craigslists around the country, its free, ffs.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:15 PM
twofifty
Senior User
Lurch,

I'll share my experience selling my highboy last fall. I'm in the Minnesota rust belt and anything rust free goes for a PREMIUM. I've never been to Pittsburgh, but it sounds like you are in a very similar market (lots of rusty trucks).

I bought my '74 F'250 4x4 for what I considered a "fair" price, $4500. The guy I bought it from purchased it in Oregon for $2200 just a year earlier. Geography does really swing the price that much. I searched for a year and a half before I found this truck.

I spent the summer working on the truck, fixing small details and generally making it a better, more reliable, and more presentable truck. The frame was spotless on my truck, but not painted. It had stock axles (44 front with drums), good dual exhaust, and a nice running 390 (nothing fancy). The body was straight, but had 25+ year old paint that had lived outside most of it's life. No rust from what I could tell, but you never know what is hiding under a 25 year old paint job.

Long story short, I listed the truck for $5500 and sold it within a week. I wouldn't consider listing your truck for less that $6000 if you have the 4x4 working and the header clearance issue resolved that you mentioned. Hard to tell from the pics, but I would even consider listing it for more considering you have a D60 up front. These trucks are getting harder and harder to find in a driveable, rust free condition. Most are either junk or fully restored and big $$$.

And a word on NADA price guides. They'll tell you a 2wd F100 is worth XYZ price, then a F250 is worth $500 more and a 4x4 will be worth another $500 on top of that. From everything I've seen in local markets, that's bogus. Supply and demand is driving the prices and everyone wants a 4x4. Personally, I think prices for 4x4 trucks are double of what a comparable 2wd would sell for.

Just my $0.02 worth (okay maybe a bit more than that)

Old 03-23-2014, 08:09 PM
lurch460
Senior User
Damn thats an old pic, the was the first time it moved after about 4 years., It doesnt look like that now. The Irocks are gone, it was way too tall. I moved and the cops were eyeballing the truck the day I brought it home. They had a pool on who would pull me over first. Thank good it was the only cool cop, who measured the rear bumper only and its legal. He went back and said he looked it over and everything was within spec.

The bed is in primer now. The paint was peeling bad, had to do something. I painted and did most of the work when I was 18-22. Its somewhat half assed,in reality not bad, just not up to my standard now.

The tires are gone traded for new 38 procomps in a radial. I need a set of 16x10 wheels for them. Used to see them all the time for sale. Since I got these tires, haven't found anything local. Also took off the body lift.

Seeing that pic makes me want to keep it,even with all the misaligned body panels, they match now.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:43 PM
lurch460
Senior User
pics didnt work dont click have to figure this out

That is it without the tires and the bed is white
hopefully these upload

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling, give me your value of it.