6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011+ Super Duty PowerStroke plague...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,770 Posts
2011+ Super Duty PowerStroke plague...

Is it a plague or are some of these trucks just cursed?

Been noticing some coolant leaking from my truck, running down the outside of the frame just behind the bumper on the drivers side.

Checked the old google search and it seems that a bunch of these trucks are having the exact same issue, leaking coolant in the same area as mine. The reports are that the seam on the radiator on that side leaks, went back out and crawled under mine and got a closer look and that is for sure what is wrong with mine. Coolant running right down the radiator seam on the drivers side and dripping down the frame.

So, now my less than two year old truck has two issues that a BUNCH of other trucks are having, bad radiator and the bad DEF temp sensor.

And again, I am on my own with these failures since it is outside the mileage range of the warranty.

What's next?

Wait, don't tell me, let it be another surprise...

Old 03-18-2014, 05:50 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
call ford cust service and see if they will assist.

This is a persistent issue.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by senix
call ford cust service and see if they will assist.

This is a persistent issue.
I've already gone round and round with Ford Customer no-Care.

I could hear them sigh in relief when they learned my truck was beyond the warranty miles.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:39 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I feel your pain and I'm sorry to read this thread.

It is a very common issue and ford doesn't seem to think that they need to rethink the radiator design/supplier.

My dealer has been very helpful to me. They have a warranty slush fund that they try to kick in for those in between questionable cases. I think the area ford rep evaluates circumstances, I think my dealer happens to be in good shape with ford, and they sometimes kick in some help. I think when they did my water pump they covered the repair and only asked that I pay a $100 deductible. I'm not exactly sure how that works.

It also helps if you happen to have purchased an extended warranty.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I feel your pain and I'm sorry to read this thread.

It is a very common issue and ford doesn't seem to think that they need to rethink the radiator design/supplier.

My dealer has been very helpful to me. They have a warranty slush fund that they try to kick in for those in between questionable cases. I think the area ford rep evaluates circumstances, I think my dealer happens to be in good shape with ford, and they sometimes kick in some help. I think when they did my water pump they covered the repair and only asked that I pay a $100 deductible. I'm not exactly sure how that works.

It also helps if you happen to have purchased an extended warranty.
Ford claims I have depleted the extra money the dealers use for borderline warranty issues, guess it was for the rental car when they replaced the front pump in the trans at 7K miles. Of course it wouldn't help me anyway, I'm at almost 116K miles now, so Ford isn't even listening to me anymore.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:34 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dang, if it makes you feel any better I had the extended warranty coverage until I reached 200,000. Ford covered almost $30,000 in repairs on my truck. I got em for ya, lol.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Dang, if it makes you feel any better I had the extended warranty coverage until I reached 200,000. Ford covered almost $30,000 in repairs on my truck. I got em for ya, lol.
When I asked about an extended warranty at the dealer when I bought my truck, all they were telling me was available was up to 125K, heck the original powertrain is warranted to 100K, and the 125K was going to be like $2500.

Oh well, no more new Ford trucks for me.

If I ever buy another new one it will be a ram.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:12 PM
hookd
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with that, have you seen all the issues on the RAM forums? I just got a 2014 F350 and a Dodge was in the running until I started looking at the problems they are having.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Lots of rams running at the same place I am, haven't heard any of them with any big issues.

Doesn't matter, I'm stuck with this ford, owe WAY more than it'll bring on trade or sale since it has so many miles on it already.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Man do you drive cross country daily with that thing! Pretty awesome you have that mileage, but sucks you have the problem. Let us know how you end up.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
And every Ford in your crowd has issues? As much as it sucks when you happen to be the one with trouble, all makes have issues. You were the unlucky one to have the issue in your group. Reading the forums, we'll soon need to switch to horse and buggy for all of our needs. Then, a forum will open up with threads relating to horses that have hoof problems, or need to eat two bales of hay per day...I'm genuinely sorry you're having issues and hope they get resolved soon. I have had no issues with my truck and wish that were true for everyone across all makes.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tofan
Man do you drive cross country daily with that thing! Pretty awesome you have that mileage, but sucks you have the problem. Let us know how you end up.

I deliver new travel trailers to the dealers. The mileage on my truck would be way higher except I had stopped doing this job for about 6 months and then went back. Had I not had that interruption I probably would be closing in on 200K if the truck would have held up that long.

Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee
And every Ford in your crowd has issues? As much as it sucks when you happen to be the one with trouble, all makes have issues. You were the unlucky one to have the issue in your group. Reading the forums, we'll soon need to switch to horse and buggy for all of our needs. Then, a forum will open up with threads relating to horses that have hoof problems, or need to eat two bales of hay per day...I'm genuinely sorry you're having issues and hope they get resolved soon. I have had no issues with my truck and wish that were true for everyone across all makes.
And if my issues weren't prevalent in so many other trucks I might agree. But Ford has to know that they have a number of recurring issues with these trucks and they are just hoping that ignoring them or downplaying them will eventually make them go away.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
I have to agree that the problem with the radiators has been going on long enough for them to improve the design. I do wish you well with whatever choice you make in the future.
If you have the opportunity to do so, research whatever make you are considering, by looking at the forums specific to that maker. My experience was that talking one on one with the owners, you would swear that everyone builds a perfect product. Reading the forums may scare you, but it does offer a list of the most common complaints and even lends some insight as to the frequency of those issues. I researched the forums for almost 5 months before buying, and continue to read through them today. I do not regret my choice. Perhaps I have been lucky. I like to think I made an informed decision. If you decide to go Ram, you may want to wait a another year or so to let them work the bugs out of the new emissions system.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:28 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not too sure that Ford didn't do something about the radiator problem? Seems like the majority of failures are the 2011 models.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are 13s out there same rad problem. Same area. No its not resolved. Wont be till they go all aluminium.

Quick Reply: 2011+ Super Duty PowerStroke plague...