Sponsored by:

No start with key

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 AM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start with key

I have an intermittent problem with my 2000 Ex V10 with factory remote start. Sometimes when I put the key in to start the truck, I get nothing. I believe the theft light flashes but I am not entirely sure. Sometimes after a few tries with turning the key it will start. If I hit the button for the factory remote start it always starts, so I have never gotten stuck anywhere.

This issue could happen 2 or 3 times in a row and then not happen again for days or weeks. It's been going on for a couple of years now.

Any ideas what to look at. There is no telling when it will happen again though.

Thanks.

BTW, I have stomped the brake pedal and I have moved the gear shift when it happens and sometimes on retry it starts and sometimes it does not. When I just keep trying the key sometimes it eventually starts too, so I do not think it is the safety in the brake pedal or in the shifter, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Country Traveler
If I hit the button for the factory remote start it always starts, so I have never gotten stuck anywhere.
Sounds like a dealer add-on. I don't think Ford ever offered a remote start as an option on our Excursions from the factory.

As for your problem, have you tried setting aside the key you always use and use your spare exclusively to eliminate the possibility that it's your key that's the problem?

Stewart

Old 03-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Always thought it was factory. Learn something new every day.

I never thought it could be the key. We use both sets, depends which is picked up to use. Will try to hide one set away and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Just trying to narrow the possibilities.

Stewart

Old 03-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Not sure your 2000 has pats? a lot of times the remote starters need a key up under the dash so the pats detects the key and allows it to start. Perhaps that key is a duplicate of one vs a third seperately programmed and gets the security module to think you are stealing it.

edit: if there is a key under the dash, it only has to be the plastic head, not the metal "key" part, it's a security risk too. Anybody could steal your ex, if they jimmy the ignition switch, since you have a "pats" key under there..

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Old 03-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
Not sure your 2000 has pats?
All Excursions came from the factory with the PATS system.

Reps for thinking about the hidden PATS key.

Stewart

Old 03-13-2014, 08:21 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's not a factory option but like Stewart said, the dealer could have put the remote in which is probably the problem. Since they have the PATS system it complicates the remote installation which is one reason I didn't put one in mine. You can take the tiny emitter out of the key head and tape it inside near the key switch (there is an antennae that surrounds it) and then you could use any key to start it but I doubt if that would cure your problem. You could also have a clone made from your original but that might not cure it either. I think it would have been fine if a remote was never installed in it.
Since you don't touch the brake or the shift lever I don't see them affecting it. The theft light will give you a clue so pay attention to that, it is part of the PATS system. It should go out 2+- seconds after you turn the key.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:50 AM
Country Traveler
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXv10
The theft light will give you a clue so pay attention to that, it is part of the PATS system. It should go out 2+- seconds after you turn the key.
I will keep an eye on the flashing light next time it happens. Something tells me it was flashing continuously last time this happened which leads to what Stewart mentioned about one of the keys being bad.

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
I have a remote start on my '01 Excursion and it has a passive and active arming system. Sometimes if have a door open and I'm vacumming the interior, it will passively arm and not make a sound. I could have the key turned back and the radio on, but not a sound. (doesn't matter if I have the key turned to the first position either).

When I'm ready to start the truck and leave, all I have to do is press the unlock button on the remote and the truck will start.

I will say it scared the crap out of me when they first installed the alarm though, lol!

Old 03-14-2014, 08:02 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Country Traveler
I will keep an eye on the flashing light next time it happens. Something tells me it was flashing continuously last time this happened which leads to what Stewart mentioned about one of the keys being bad.

Thanks.
I am assuming you have 2 factory keys that look the same? If one is not working as well as the other you can make a third key pretty easily so you will at least have 2 good working keys, but I'm not saying the keys are the problem