1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tuning - tweaking "timing adder" to lower cold start smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
How long will you be there? I have a friend's 40th birthday party to attend Saturday afternoon/evening but I have to be home fairly early on Sunday since holidays mean so much to some people (I couldn't care less though).
I will drive from Mpls to Bozeman on Sat. (gads is that gonna be a long day) Then drive to Ellensburg Sunday. I'll be looking for beer and burger...then a motel.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Lucky guys Steve and Dan.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:04 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Dan will probably end up missing me....but he'll drive right past my house on the way.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Dan will probably end up missing me....but he'll drive right past my house on the way.
I'm camping out in Steve's backyard....he's going on a DATE. I think I can make Boz. Billings is where I'd normally pull the pin, but I've been told the wagyu burger (rare) and a pint of a red IPA at Montana Ale Works is something I shouldn't miss. It may be late but I'm going for it!

We got ourselves a brotherhood trade here. Steve is going camping, we all know that code words for something else, but he's leaving me a growler of a local brew, and I'm leaving him a coule 4 packs of Surly. Then on the way back, next Saturday, I think we're gonna meet face to face.

Cody, if you're in Bozafornia late on Sat..we could still meet up....I'd like to meet you. You can get my cell from Rich.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:25 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
I tried calling him about an hour ago, just waiting on a return.

I will be in Bozeman all night tomorrow night.

I'll PM you my cell phone number (which I never take with me since it's technically my "work phone"). I'll give that number to Steve too....since the house number I gave him won't do either of us much good once I'm on the road.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:23 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cody, I tried calling you back. What do you have, dial up internet out in the sticks?

If we don't talk tonight, I'm here. 307 N. Broadway in Bozeman. I'll be ready when you get to town tomorrow, give me a shout anytime tonight or tomorrow. Breakfast at Soby's or the Western, I'm buying.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:42 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
Well, I finally got to meet Cody in person, and he's a great dude. We put a new tune on my Hydra and...no change in the cold start smoke. We figured out that the #1 injector was warming up the exhaust manifold slower than the rest, including the #2 (front driver side).

Contrary to what I thought, he's had experience with injectors running too lean causing the white smoke. He's leaning towards either a mechanical injector issue, or possibly fuel pressure, especially since #1 is the last to get fuel on that side. #8 is the last to get fuel on the driver side, but that one warmed up the exhaust manifold much more quickly.

Prior to replacing the injectors, I had cold start smoke. I was sure, however, that it was related to the two blown injector o-rings on #3 and #6. I was really hoping that this was tune-related, and was coming from a different source than before the injector swap, but that may not be the case.

We ruled out tuning finally, compression has been ruled out, the entire glow plug circuit is ruled out, the UVCH has been ruled out (by metering injector resistance at the 42-pin).

So, next step is to get a gauge setup for fuel pressure. It that looks good, then it's on to injector swapping. Though Cody would say to quit typing and start swapping injectors - he could've had it done by now.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:17 PM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by montanasteve
Well, I finally got to meet Cody in person, and he's a great dude. We put a new tune on my Hydra and...no change in the cold start smoke. We figured out that the #1 injector was warming up the exhaust manifold slower than the rest, including the #2 (front driver side).

Contrary to what I thought, he's had experience with injectors running too lean causing the white smoke. He's leaning towards either a mechanical injector issue, or possibly fuel pressure, especially since #1 is the last to get fuel on that side. #8 is the last to get fuel on the driver side, but that one warmed up the exhaust manifold much more quickly.

Prior to replacing the injectors, I had cold start smoke. I was sure, however, that it was related to the two blown injector o-rings on #3 and #6. I was really hoping that this was tune-related, and was coming from a different source than before the injector swap, but that may not be the case.

We ruled out tuning finally, compression has been ruled out, the entire glow plug circuit is ruled out, the UVCH has been ruled out (by metering injector resistance at the 42-pin).

So, next step is to get a gauge setup for fuel pressure. It that looks good, then it's on to injector swapping. Though Cody would say to quit typing and start swapping injectors - he could've had it done by now.

Well that is a mixed bag of good and bad huh?

Good.....meet Cody, try one of his tunes and eliminate a few variables that aren't causing the white smoke issue.

The Bad.....you still have a white smoke issue

Good luck.

Steve #2

Old 04-19-2014, 03:23 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Steve's a heck of a guy. I did flub up on his tuning though......

Steve, PM your email address and I'll send you a different tune to put on your Hydra. Remember our little lack of power on the initial test run? Well, I fixed one problem and caused another.....I thought of it a few minutes ago and had to recheck the math in my head.

My calculation was skewed on the second test drive. If you're still around, give me a call and I can come load it up today yet.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:42 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Bad stick eh? I've danced to that tune more than once. I don't remember, new or reman? I'm not saying that will matter, I'm just curious.

If you dive into the VCs, check what the injector torque is before you pop the stick.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:48 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
I met up with Steve and his GF last night. Elk burgers on the barbie...awesome. It did notice Steve left one thing out of his reply though. His version of AE v12...misreports the MAP. I guess Cody had some whiz bang Ford IDS or something and the MAP checked fine.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
His version of AE v12...misreports the MAP.
Crud. I'll work on a Scale to work around the problem.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:55 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Originally Posted by Dan V
I met up with Steve and his GF last night.

I'm glad to hear you made it to Blowsman.....but you never called me once you got there.

When are you coming back through (if you're coming back through this way)?

Old 04-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Sorry Cody...I must have spaced that part of the conversation..zombie like after 800 miles. My plan is to head that way Sat...Likely lay over in Billings.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:10 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
When you get to the Livingston/Big Timber area, give me a call and I'll tell you how to get to my house.

Quick Reply: Tuning - tweaking "timing adder" to lower cold start smoke?