Sponsored by: Moser

5 month old report

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 AM
billybobzia
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 month old report

Honestly, I am usually not that attached to vehicles, they are a tool to get me from point A to point B. That being said, I can't believe how much I like my new truck. It now has about 4300 miles. So far, so good. MPG is better than I anticipated with 17 mpg last tank (mostly mixed driving, but probably more city). I figured with the winter fuel I would be luck to get that.

One of my favorite features of the truck... 36 gallon gas tank! I have been filling up about every 3-4 weeks. In state road trips I don't even have to fill up until I get back home usually (which is good because gas in the mountains is typically much more expensive)

My kids love it, they don't want to drive in the car anymore

My wife loves it, she gets mad when I suggest we take the car.

My dog loves it, it means he is going for a walk.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:12 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Great to hear you love your truck and are having good success with it! I absolutely LOVE my truck as well. Now when I get into anything else I miss the comfort of my platinums seats! The truck rides so smooth and is pretty quiet. When I drive my wife's Infiniti G37s convertible after driving my truck for a week straight I really notice how uncomfortable it really is and also how noisy! Although putting that top down on a sunny 70 degree day and hitting that throttle helps...lol

I got my best milage coming home from work the other day of 21.9 mpg. My truck has about 14,600 miles on her already and I will have had her for a year this coming June. (we took some trips)

My wife also jumps at the chance to drive the truck and really loves how high up she is and how people tend to get out of her way a lot more.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Great to hear you love your truck and are having good success with it! I absolutely LOVE my truck as well. Now when I get into anything else I miss the comfort of my platinums seats! The truck rides so smooth and is pretty quiet. When I drive my wife's Infiniti G37s convertible after driving my truck for a week straight I really notice how uncomfortable it really is and also how noisy! Although putting that top down on a sunny 70 degree day and hitting that throttle helps...lol

I got my best milage coming home from work the other day of 21.9 mpg. My truck has about 14,600 miles on her already and I will have had her for a year this coming June. (we took some trips)

My wife also jumps at the chance to drive the truck and really loves how high up she is and how people tend to get out of her way a lot more.
Rob- How did you manage to pull of over 21 mpg's from your Max Tow, 3.73? I drove to do a home inspection from Sacramento to Stockton last week and got my best mpg's yet. avg'd 18.8 there & back, actually hit 20.1 once for about 5-10 minutes then she slowly started working back down and settled in the 18's lol.

Used cruise the entire way, keeping the truck no higher than 65 mph. I've learned from frequent highway trips, this truck is so finicky with mileage at any speed over 65 mph (at least mine is) I can kiss into the 20's if I keep her at a modest 62 mph, but I find it pisses everyone off behind me, even in the slow lane with all the Prius and EV drivers. I can do 70 which is what I'm comfortable with, and my typical highway clip, but the best it will get at that speed is 15-16 ish.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:19 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
great to hear your happy with your STX, i still think the stx is a great package and if my deal falls through on the '11 limited i hope to get i'll be looking hard at a '14 stx crew cab.

its amazing the MPG's these new trucks are getting, maybe its because i'm so used to being ecstatic with hitting 10!

Old 03-09-2014, 06:13 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like mine alot, even moreso since I just paid it off

Old 03-09-2014, 08:20 AM
derek4343
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium

hey princevalium,what size or weight is that boat you're pulling? i have one about the simular size and haven't towed it yet. how well does it tow it. of course i have an 09 with the 5.4 ith 3.55 gears. thanks

Old 03-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
Rob- How did you manage to pull of over 21 mpg's from your Max Tow, 3.73? I drove to do a home inspection from Sacramento to Stockton last week and got my best mpg's yet. avg'd 18.8 there & back, actually hit 20.1 once for about 5-10 minutes then she slowly started working back down and settled in the 18's lol.

Used cruise the entire way, keeping the truck no higher than 65 mph. I've learned from frequent highway trips, this truck is so finicky with mileage at any speed over 65 mph (at least mine is) I can kiss into the 20's if I keep her at a modest 62 mph, but I find it pisses everyone off behind me, even in the slow lane with all the Prius and EV drivers. I can do 70 which is what I'm comfortable with, and my typical highway clip, but the best it will get at that speed is 15-16 ish.
Yeah, mine is the same way. I think some of it has to do with winter gas up here though, I know Rob can't be bothered with such things. Also colder air makes things less efficient as the truck has to work harder to push through denser air. Most of the winter I've been getting 15-16 on my weekly run to the dump. Yesterday it was a balmy 49° out and I got 18.1, a figure completely unachievable in below freezing temperatures.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Great report, thanks for sharing. My 1yr with truck is coming up in April, guess I should throw a write up together as well.

I have same setup (cab, engine and gears) and on winter fuel, I've been getting about 16-17 MPG in mixed driving. I don't drive it too hard, but it does usually see 4k rpms daily.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:46 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We got our 2011 used but have had it almost 6 months. And the same thoughts...... I love my truck! I'd choose to be in my 2001 over my wifes 08 Escape, I never did like that thing, it's paid for and still only has 45K on the clock.
I played outside yesterday washing and vacuuming my 2011 Super Crew, then her Escape, and just getting in her car to move it around to clean it, was like being punished for doing something nice, it just feels so cheaply done.
Good thread

Unk Bob

Old 03-11-2014, 03:30 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
great to hear your happy with your STX, i still think the stx is a great package and if my deal falls through on the '11 limited i hope to get i'll be looking hard at a '14 stx crew cab.

its amazing the MPG's these new trucks are getting, maybe its because i'm so used to being ecstatic with hitting 10!
You're getting an '11 Limited? You'll love it, with the 6.2L, you'll pass everything but a gas pump!! I have the Harley, same truck pretty much, average about 12.9 to 13.0 on a tank. These trucks are more about "smile per gallon" than "mile per gallon"!!

Old 03-11-2014, 03:41 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tom
Yeah, mine is the same way. I think some of it has to do with winter gas up here though, I know Rob can't be bothered with such things. Also colder air makes things less efficient as the truck has to work harder to push through denser air. Most of the winter I've been getting 15-16 on my weekly run to the dump. Yesterday it was a balmy 49° out and I got 18.1, a figure completely unachievable in below freezing temperatures.
There must be an optimal air temp. I know down here with the heat and humidity in July / August, mine gets really bad mileage and doesn't run as efficient, or seem to run as efficient. When the air is cooler, while not cold, it does a lot better.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by RigTrash601
You're getting an '11 Limited? You'll love it, with the 6.2L, you'll pass everything but a gas pump!! I have the Harley, same truck pretty much, average about 12.9 to 13.0 on a tank. These trucks are more about "smile per gallon" than "mile per gallon"!!

Thats the plan, my Boss's lease is up in july and i can get it for the buy out. The 6.2 MPG's will be an upgrade for me MPG wise! i'm seeing 8 mpg most of the time with my V10 Excursion (daily driven 10k ish a year) so if i can break double digits ill be excited haha i'm already used to $140 a week fill ups and I know the f-150 will be better.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Thats the plan, my Boss's lease is up in july and i can get it for the buy out. The 6.2 MPG's will be an upgrade for me MPG wise! i'm seeing 8 mpg most of the time with my V10 Excursion (daily driven 10k ish a year) so if i can break double digits ill be excited haha i'm already used to $140 a week fill ups and I know the f-150 will be better.
Really like the 2011 Limited, when I bought mine, I was actually looking for a Limited 4x4, the only trucks remotely close to my house was the 4x2's, got impatient and ended up with the Harley. Which when I drove the Harley, I was hooked. The only thing I don't like is not being able to lift it as easily as the Limited, due to mine being AWD / 4X4 High instead of a traditional 4x4 setup as the limited is. Fact is, I'm in a quandry now because I want a 4x4 that I can modify somewhat, but want to retain the 6.2L. Found a few FX4's here and there, but they are a good ways away (actually 2 states away) from home. About the only thing down here is the Eco-Boost, I have nothing personally against it, but there's something about that 6.2 rumble!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:43 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Originally Posted by RigTrash601
Really like the 2011 Limited, when I bought mine, I was actually looking for a Limited 4x4, the only trucks remotely close to my house was the 4x2's, got impatient and ended up with the Harley. Which when I drove the Harley, I was hooked. The only thing I don't like is not being able to lift it as easily as the Limited, due to mine being AWD / 4X4 High instead of a traditional 4x4 setup as the limited is. Fact is, I'm in a quandry now because I want a 4x4 that I can modify somewhat, but want to retain the 6.2L. Found a few FX4's here and there, but they are a good ways away (actually 2 states away) from home. About the only thing down here is the Eco-Boost, I have nothing personally against it, but there's something about that 6.2 rumble!
the 2011 limited is also 2wd/AWD/4x4 high with no low range same as the Harley. if it all works out i'll walk away with it for a song and a dance about 15k below book and its only got 19k on it as of today. as soon as i saw the limited i knew i wanted one white is my absolute favorite

Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
the 2011 limited is also 2wd/AWD/4x4 high with no low range same as the Harley. if it all works out i'll walk away with it for a song and a dance about 15k below book and its only got 19k on it as of today. as soon as i saw the limited i knew i wanted one white is my absolute favorite
I was thinking it was a "traditional" 4x4, oh well... If you want to lift probably not needed, I think Rough Country makes one for the AWD, and BDS has one, but requires "sheetmetal trimming" as they put it... I let the idea die a natural death. Only 19K, brand new truck. They are sweet. The best sounding exhaust is the Borla "S" type, I have the Magna Flow on mine, a lot of highway drone.

My apologies to the OP....

Quick Reply: 5 month old report