1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where do you guy`s buy your rims and tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:53 AM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always used Discount Tire. (I'm in Texas.) Their prices may not be rock-bottom lowest like you can probably find on the Internet, but consider this:

Is your rock-bottom Internet dealer going to give you any help when your tire delaminates? When your tire catches a nail?

Discount Tire's advantage is that they're in just about every major city in Texas, which is almost always within range of your spare. (What's that? You don't know anything about your spare???)

They'll also mount their tires on rims you purchase elsewhere and bring in. They'll mount your tires on rims you buy from them. They'll mount tires on rims that no other shop will even think about, much less touch.

They'll also do free pressure checks, and IIRC, free rotations.

I'd like to see any internet tire shop do the kind of customer service that Discount Tire does, in the same timeframe.

-blaine

Old 03-04-2014, 06:17 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
I use a locally owned, non-chain, store in my area. As with an appliance purchase I just made, I don't mind spending a few more dollars to keep a local business open.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:36 PM
dscabra
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
I've always used Discount Tire. (I'm in Texas.) Their prices may not be rock-bottom lowest like you can probably find on the Internet, but consider this:

Is your rock-bottom Internet dealer going to give you any help when your tire delaminates? When your tire catches a nail?

Discount Tire's advantage is that they're in just about every major city in Texas, which is almost always within range of your spare. (What's that? You don't know anything about your spare???)

They'll also mount their tires on rims you purchase elsewhere and bring in. They'll mount your tires on rims you buy from them. They'll mount tires on rims that no other shop will even think about, much less touch.

They'll also do free pressure checks, and IIRC, free rotations.

I'd like to see any internet tire shop do the kind of customer service that Discount Tire does, in the same timeframe.

-blaine
I love Discount Tire. Most people don't know that they will sell you their "certs" on just about any new tire no matter where you got them. I took my wife's CPO Lexus to my local Discount Tire and bought certs and lifetime balance and rotations on the new tires that were installed by the Lexus dealer.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:56 PM
winginit
Elder User
Originally Posted by dscabra
I love Discount Tire. Most people don't know that they will sell you their "certs" on just about any new tire no matter where you got them. I took my wife's CPO Lexus to my local Discount Tire and bought certs and lifetime balance and rotations on the new tires that were installed by the Lexus dealer.
And what are CERTS ?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:14 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
I use a locally owned, non-chain, store in my area. As with an appliance purchase I just made, I don't mind spending a few more dollars to keep a local business open.
Same here. I have been buying tires off the same guy for almost 20 years and have never had issues with anything he has sold me. I know most stuff is cheaper on the internet, but I prefer talking face to face with the person I am buying stuff from. They know what they are selling and I might need advice before buying or service afterwards if there are problems with it.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 PM
dscabra
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by winginit
And what are CERTS ?
Certificates -- replacement warranty through Discount, not the manufacturer. If a tire can't be repaired, they give you a new one.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:03 PM
gene daniels
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some Ford dealers sell Toyo. Take wheels and tires into Ford for Road Force balancing.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
You and I are on the very same page when it comes to this. It's not uncommon for me to run into one of my tire guys at the annual autumn fair. I see them with their wife and kids. And I know I did the right thing. I have no problem spending just a few more buckson a set of tires to keep a local store up and running. And usually that's all the difference it is. Maybe $50 maximum.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:33 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
I use " Discount Tire " they are in most States & have great Service/Pricing

Edit: I see your in CT & unfortunately there aren't any there
Discount Tire Stores

Last edited by King-bRanch; 03-04-2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: added Info
Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
My current set of tires for my truck.

Rims where a take off set of 2011+ KR/Lariat 18 inch rims from Craig's List

The tires were purchased from Ford. They initially gave me a price that was going to be slightly higher than what the local guy who was the cheapest of the bunch. When I told the service adviser no thanks to the price the guy down the street was much cheaper, the service adviser dropped the price in which I was crazy not to buy.

The local Ford dealer has aftermarket section however, I would have to think they might not be as competitive as aftermarket shop on Main St or the Net. However I would think a local shop might be worth the extra time/money knowing you are going to get the proper rim, tire and mounting than something over the net. Plus you may have some recourse if something doesn't feel right. The guy on the net is going to say "ship the tire back and we will check it" knowing you will not pay for the freight to return the tire. Shipping tires suck. I would have to do that once in awhile when I worked in heavy equipment and for UPS for a spell.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:34 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Buy local and buy American made.
MURICA!

anyway...I shopped online then went to a local place and for 50 bucks more I got everything in 2 days vs waiting for my stuff to ship for a week or two. I found tires were usually cheapest on tirerack.com and rims were cheapest from places like rimzone.com or mrwheeldeal.com sometimes rim and tire packages from them are cheaper.

The way I looked at it $50 compared to $2100 was nothing so why not and that included mounting and balancing.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 PM
02TB250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm buying mine from tirerack. They throw in the lugnuts and other stuff that's required. I can do my own mounting so it's not a huge issue as far as tires, and those I buy from BJ's. I can't have them mounted there because my size is "too big" but the price of the tire is good and it comes with a road hazard