tips for purchasing used ring and pinion gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
tips for purchasing used ring and pinion gear

I wanted to buy a set of ring and pinion gears in the oem ratio for my daily so I could have a trutrak gear locker 3rd member to swap out with my orignal unit once I get the engine rebuilt.

Thing is though, there is no aftermarket for gear ratios higher than 3.00:1 from what I can find for the ford 9". I need a 2.50:1, I found some on ebay, but I dont know what the going rate is for a excellent condition ring and pinion should be going for.

As a second off topic question, what should I look for when it comes to the third member pumpkin, should I look at aftermarket replacements from like summit, like a currie? Or should I hunt on ebay for a whole ring and pinion set that comes installed on a third member and just swap out the carrier?

Old 02-24-2014, 09:21 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Being such high ratios aren't really popular I wouldn't pay top dollar. The seller might use the "rare" parts as a way to jack up price but in all honesty he isn't going to sell them quickly because nobody really uses that kind of ratio anymore. Just a heads up there is no performace aspect to a 2.50:1 or a 3.00 ratio, even on the street they are lousy. A used 3rd member would be fine and cheaper than a new aftermarket. Racing guys always look for the rare nodular iron 3rd which are kinda rare but a good aftermarket one is just as strong.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by projectnitemare
Being such high ratios aren't really popular I wouldn't pay top dollar. The seller might use the "rare" parts as a way to jack up price but in all honesty he isn't going to sell them quickly because nobody really uses that kind of ratio anymore. Just a heads up there is no performace aspect to a 2.50:1 or a 3.00 ratio, even on the street they are lousy. A used 3rd member would be fine and cheaper than a new aftermarket. Racing guys always look for the rare nodular iron 3rd which are kinda rare but a good aftermarket one is just as strong.
I came across one company that was atleast at the time offering 2.75:1 ring and pinion.

I found a guy selling the set for $40 + $20s&h. I just wasnt sure if that was a decent price for a used set.

The car has 2.50:1 from the factory and puts down a 0 to 60 mph of 6.7 seconds on average. I dont think thats too lousy with a stock 145hp V8. I could get better performance going with better gearing, but its an every day vehicle and I dont care to give up the ability to being turning 1,500 rpm @ 45 mph. So thanks for the heads up, but I already know what I will be in for with this ratio.

On the third members, Ive found none cheaper than $190. I personally think thats kind of high considering I can get a brand new one for $250. Going to have to keep an eye out for them though to try and find one for less. I would like to find one for around $90 - $100, that seems like a fair price for a used one.