Sponsored by: Moser

Does anyone else have dual batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:51 PM
willmunny79
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone else have dual batteries?

oes this set up look familiar to anyone? It's not factory is it?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 PM
brian1080
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Doesn't look like my factory setup. my driver tray matched my passenger on my old truck, just reversed. Those batt terminals aren't factory for sure, it's a top post screwed to a side post. Solenoid could be, can't remember what it looked like. Seems like mine was smaller though and mounted down under the brake booster further.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 PM
rockittsled
Elder User
There is a dual battery option from the factory that would be found mostly in Camper Specials. It was designed to automatically connect to the charging system with the engine running and disconnect when the engine shut off to allow it to be used by the camper overnight, while still allowing the main battery to start the truck in the morning. There might be some images scattered through threads or galleries.

Does the wiring through the system look like it is factory with the tracers through out? There is also supposed to be a plug maybe in the bed or under the bed?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 PM
51MHF5
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 78 Snow Fighter had dual batteries and as Brian1080 mentioned the aux battery tray was a mirror image of the main battery tray complete with flange that bolted to the side of the inner fender.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 PM
rockittsled
Elder User
Originally Posted by 51MHF5
My 78 Snow Fighter had dual batteries and as Brian1080 mentioned the aux battery tray was a mirror image of the main battery tray complete with flange that bolted to the side of the inner fender.
Yeah, looks like a PO has been in there

Did you have that plug anywhere to get power to an aux port or camper?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
That's not a factory tray.

I have only seen the continuous duty solenoid mounted on the inner fender midway behind the windshield washer bottle and the firewall... about where that vacuum canister is positioned. However, that solenoid appears to be correct.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:12 AM
willmunny79
Junior User
Thanks for the feedback fellas. I am hoping to use the extra battery to run an inverter while camping

Old 02-21-2014, 05:30 AM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by willmunny79
Thanks for the feedback fellas. I am hoping to use the extra battery to run an inverter while camping
are you concerned about reproducing factory, or just working well?

I do a dual setup on all my trucks because I have a car trailer with a winch on it, I also run a 3rd battery on the trailer.

The simplist and most reliable setup I have found over the years is simply using a boat dual battery switch.

It's 100% reliable and never fails. In your case, when you stop to camp, switch to your aux battery and you are 100% seperated from the truck battery, after you restart your truck, switch back to "both".

I've never cared about convience so I always mount the switch under the hood, but You could mount it in the cab if you wanted it a little easier to access.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:56 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,289 Likes on 2,445 Posts
Here is some duel battery set up information:

Dual Battery System: You can connect the batteries with a heavy duty relay. Wrangler Power Products in Prescott, Arizona; sells a relay, three position switch and all wiring for about $100. Switch lets you connect both batteries when running (for normal use), all the time (jump start yourself), or not at all (If there is a problem with the batteries).

Also marine supply houses sell manual switch for use in boats, they will work fine in a car, but you have to turn off the car to turn the dial and switch modes, or else it can fry your alternator.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:54 AM
trilogymac
Freshman User
I just wired my dual batteries with the Painless 40103 kit. Works great.

Hope this helps.
Trilogymac

Old 02-21-2014, 10:11 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
A pic below for general information.

One question I have whenever I see an aftermarket add-on is whether it was installed to "good workmanship" standards. There are lots of FTEers in here dealing with headaches of PO hack jobs using household wire nuts, duct tape, and bubble-gummed splices which can cause excessive loads and other components not to work.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Both my 78 F150 and my 78 Bronco had the dual battery option.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:37 PM
406angler
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running a JayCorp dual battery Isolator and Optima redtops for both primary and auxiliary batteries. The isolator solenoid remains 'open' until the primary is fully charged, and charges the aux battery only when the primary is full. It also isolates the auxiliary from the rest of the power system when the engine isn't running so there's always a fully charged battery; switchable via a second starter solenoid with a spst that combines amperage if the primary is drained. Works like a charm for -20 degree starts and when you forget to turn your lights off, just flip the switch on, turn the key, and flip the back switch off.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:02 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 406angler
I'm running a JayCorp dual battery Isolator and Optima redtops for both primary and auxiliary batteries. The isolator solenoid remains 'open' until the primary is fully charged, and charges the aux battery only when the primary is full. It also isolates the auxiliary from the rest of the power system when the engine isn't running so there's always a fully charged battery; switchable via a second starter solenoid with a spst that combines amperage if the primary is drained. Works like a charm for -20 degree starts and when you forget to turn your lights off, just flip the switch on, turn the key, and flip the back switch off.
Sounds like a nice set-up.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Leef250
Senior User
I want to add a 2nd battery to my truck soon, but haven't yet found the right tray for it. so this thread helps a lot. wondering if it would be better to try and get the parts that were used for the factory dual battery set up, or are aftermarket trays just as good or better in the opinion of those who have dual battery set ups already ?

Quick Reply: Does anyone else have dual batteries?