Sponsored by:

2003 Excursion Limited Sputtering and Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:00 PM
nstubbert
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Excursion Limited Sputtering and Stalling

Ok, my 2003 Ex Limited with 109,000 started doing the same thing today that it has done many times before. It started shuttering and then stalled. It comes out of nowhere and then the overdrive light flashes at the same time. I have had the coil packs replaced in the past, but not all of them at once. I also had the torque converter replaced last year as well. I am pretty sure that it's more coil packs that need to be replaced again. I'm sick and tired of replacing coil packs on this truck, it seems like they go bad very quickly. It's so bad I'm thinking about getting rid of this truck and getting something different. Any suggestions on what you think might be the problem and how to prevent this in the future? Thanks

Old 02-18-2014, 06:30 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
If the OD light is flashing, you have transmission codes you should get read. Sounds like a tranny issue.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:33 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nstubbert
Ok, my 2003 Ex Limited with 109,000 started doing the same thing today that it has done many times before. It started shuttering and then stalled. It comes out of nowhere and then the overdrive light flashes at the same time. I have had the coil packs replaced in the past, but not all of them at once. I also had the torque converter replaced last year as well. I am pretty sure that it's more coil packs that need to be replaced again. I'm sick and tired of replacing coil packs on this truck, it seems like they go bad very quickly. It's so bad I'm thinking about getting rid of this truck and getting something different. Any suggestions on what you think might be the problem and how to prevent this in the future? Thanks
Sounds more like boots and water in the holes.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 PM
nstubbert
Junior User
Originally Posted by EXv10
Sounds more like boots and water in the holes.
That's what I'm thinking too. It happened earlier this winter when we got a lot of rain....it would shutter and stall and the engine light came on along with the flashing OD light. When I took it to the garage it was running fine and they got a code but it was just a misfire code. They charged me a half hour in labor and sent me out the door. That was about a month ago and it's been running fine until today. Occasionally it will stutter a little bit going up a hill of if I'm towing something but nothing too bad. What should I do?

Old 02-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm not saying you don't have a bad coil or coil boot too, but a bad coil will not cause a transmission code, which is what causes the OD light to flash.

Stewart

Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I'm not saying you don't have a bad coil or coil boot too, but a bad coil will not cause a transmission code, which is what causes the OD light to flash.

Stewart
The last time this happened (about a month ago) it did the same exact thing...it was shuttering, stalling and the OD light was flashing. I brought it into the shop and the only code they got was a misfire code....I put some dry gas in before I dropped it off at the shop. I don't know if that fixed it or not, but I had no problems until yesterday and now the same thing....shuttering, stalling and OD light flashing...it doesn't make sense to me at all.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:30 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
That's what I'm thinking too. It happened earlier this winter when we got a lot of rain....it would shutter and stall and the engine light came on along with the flashing OD light. When I took it to the garage it was running fine and they got a code but it was just a misfire code. They charged me a half hour in labor and sent me out the door. That was about a month ago and it's been running fine until today. Occasionally it will stutter a little bit going up a hill of if I'm towing something but nothing too bad. What should I do?
Do my water leak and boot fix after you check the boots.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12209418

This was my first how to so it wasn't step by step.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
...it doesn't make sense to me at all.
Me either.

A misfire should cause your check engine light (SES light, MIL, etc) to activate. The OD flashing is the transmission SES light, so-to-speak.

Like you indicated, confusing.

Stewart

Old 02-19-2014, 01:20 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Me either.

A misfire should cause your check engine light (SES light, MIL, etc) to activate. The OD flashing is the transmission SES light, so-to-speak.

Like you indicated, confusing.

Stewart
This ^

Your O/D light will not flash due to an engine misfire. It flashes solely to signify a transmission issue.

We're not suggesting you don't have a misfire. Just that you also have something going on in the trans.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:12 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by duck fan
This ^

Your O/D light will not flash due to an engine misfire. It flashes solely to signify a transmission issue.

We're not suggesting you don't have a misfire. Just that you also have something going on in the trans.
That's what I was thinking. Why would the dedicated blinker blink for something else?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:06 PM
nstubbert
Junior User
That's what I was thinking. Why would the dedicated blinker blink for something else?
Ok guys, how about this? I drove my Ex today and no problems whatsoever. I took it to my mechanic and he hooked it up to the diagnostic and the only code that came up was for a speed sensor. He said that the speed sensor shouldn't be causing the problems that I am having.....any thoughts???

Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Yea, check your boots and fix your leak before proceeding.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:29 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
Do my water leak and boot fix after you check the boots.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12209418

This was my first how to so it wasn't step by step.
Can you be more specific on how to build the "bridge?" I'm not really sure what you mean by that, and what should I use to seal it up?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:51 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Can you be more specific on how to build the "bridge?" I'm not really sure what you mean by that, and what should I use to seal it up?
You will see where the 2 plastic pieces come together after you take the long soft rubber piece off. They leave a gap between them about 1/4" +- so just glue something across that gap (plastic, metal, anything), now use any sealer you have laying around on it. (I used some tub sealer in a tube). The water goes UNDER the long rubber piece.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
You will see where the 2 plastic pieces come together after you take the long soft rubber piece off. They leave a gap between them about 1/4" +- so just glue something across that gap (plastic, metal, anything), now use any sealer you have laying around on it. (I used some tub sealer in a tube). The water goes UNDER the long rubber piece.
Thanks, I will give it a try

Quick Reply: 2003 Excursion Limited Sputtering and Stalling