Sponsored by:

Adding features?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 02:40 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Adding features?

Hello all, prospective buyer of an Excursion.

Being that the newest ones are 8 years old, I'm obviously going to end up with a used Excursion.

Just wondering, can you add features to an Excursion that doesn't have certain features?

Like can I get an XLT and find the reverse sensors, heated/power leather seats, rear seat DVD system, etc on a Limited in the scrapyard and install them? Is the wiring already there? Or is the wiring harness between the XLT and Limited totally different?

Old 02-14-2014, 03:23 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Without actually knowing, I'd say some of the things you mentioned will require putting in the harness and everything. From what I've seen on my Limited, I don't have the wiring for the overhead DVD setup, so I'd need to add that myself. I'm assuming it would be the same for you.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Well, my current truck is a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500.
I looked at adding the factory keyless.

On any other car I've owned, I've been able to go to the scrapyard, find a similar vehicle, remove the receiver/lock controller module and fobs, and plug them straight into my car...

On this Dodge, the "Central Timer Module" (Body Control Module) is COMPLETELY different between the Keyless version and non-keyless version. The wiring harness is also completely different, so I can't just swap the module.

In the Dodge, I'd need the updated "Central Timer Module" to get the heated seats, steering wheel audio controls, and other features.

Just wondering if the Ford is any different...

So maybe overhead DVD is a bit different.
What about reverse sensors?
Heated/Power Seats?

Old 02-14-2014, 04:11 PM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would assume it would be easier/faster/cheaper to just buy one with the options you want.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jayjjcc
I would assume it would be easier/faster/cheaper to just buy one with the options you want.
X2- that's good advise
Reps sent

Old 02-14-2014, 05:31 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Pele
So maybe overhead DVD is a bit different.
What about reverse sensors?
Heated/Power Seats?
For the DVD I'd have also needed to add in the harness for that specific head unit as well as the overhead wiring...plus buy the compatible head unit.

Heated/Power seats will mirror this...you'll only have the one connector under the seat (seat belt sensor)...you'll have to add the harness for the power controls, etc.

Same with the signal mirrors - mine came with only heat - I had to add the wiring for the running light and the turn signal.

Can't speak on the reverse sensors 100% (mine has them)...but I would imagine those will be similar...add the harness, the sounder in the back, the switch, the harness to the switch, then figure out how to tap that back into the fuse block under the appropriate fuse.

Manufacturers have only so many options they sell on their units...they typically make harnesses for each variation with only what they need to save money.

Imagine how much wasted wire would be bought if you made every truck with the maxed out option wire harness but then only used 80% of that harness? The wasted money and assembly labor would really rack up over 1000's of units sold.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jayjjcc
Nobody builds the truck I want...
An Excursion with a Cummins engine and Allison transmission.

I'll handle the repower. I'm still shopping for a suitable candidate.

Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Imagine how much wasted wire would be bought if you made every truck with the maxed out option wire harness but then only used 80% of that harness? The wasted money and assembly labor would really rack up over 1000's of units sold.
When you're talking 20-30 ft of16 AWG wire bought in bulk for the reverse sensors. (Maybe 10 ft of 12 AWG for the power and heating for the seats.), actually it shouldn't cost too much. Especially when you look at how most car manufacturers bundle options packages together.

I'd think the tooling of a separate assembly line for each version of the harness and the logistics of making part numbers and stocking all the different versions would cost more.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:21 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Nobody builds the truck I want...

I am analog in a digital world, beyotch.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:24 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
I'd think the tooling of a separate assembly line for each version of the harness and the logistics of making part numbers and stocking all the different versions would cost more.
Hmm...yet this doesn't happen...

Especially when you look at how most car manufacturers bundle options packages together.
Kind of answered your own question...you bought a truck with option set "A" and you got the wiring harness for option set "A". You want option set "C", so that's not gonna play well with a harness from set "A".

Old 02-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Certain features are probably always included - at least in part of the harness, while certain other features might not be.

Also, the GAS vs. PSD Diesel is going to be very different as well - even in the dash electronics/computers.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Just buy the truck you want and add the extras as you want them

Old 02-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Kind of answered your own question...you bought a truck with option set "A" and you got the wiring harness for option set "A". You want option set "C", so that's not gonna play well with a harness from set "A".
Do ALL Limited trucks have reverse assist and power/heated seats?
If so, then that solves my problem; I'll only look for Limited models.

In my case with the Dodge, I have an SLT Laramie. It's the top of the line version, yet the wiring harness still doesn't provide for all the options.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:12 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do ALL Limited trucks have reverse assist and power/heated seats?
If so, then that solves my problem; I'll only look for Limited models.

In my case with the Dodge, I have an SLT Laramie. It's the top of the line version, yet the wiring harness still doesn't provide for all the options.
Not all limited models came with heated seats. My 02' didn't.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:18 PM
MalwareDRay
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LivingLarge

Not all limited models came with heated seats. My 02' didn't.
That's rude! Lol
My '02 limited had heated seats.. now my @$$ is the heater for the seat (passenger side still works supposedly). LMAO.
Light turns on but seat doesn't warm up. =/
Would have been nice in this cold winter with leather seats

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using IB AutoGroup

Old 02-15-2014, 11:05 PM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm...yet this doesn't happen...
If you want that, buy a Honda.

My 94 Civic has plugs, wires and connection to the harness for every option mine didn't come with.... Dash clock, fog lights, front and rear speakers, sunroof, rear hatch light, all there for the pluggin' in....

Just add the switch in the dash and the lights on the grill, and you have fog lights. All the wires are right at the blank for the stereo for 4 speakers that just need to be plugged in.

Unions would be my guess on why Ford does what they do.

Quick Reply: Adding features?