Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Engine sputter when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 PM
criggs1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine sputter when accelerating

My daughter has a 2002 Escape 4WD with 3.0L engine.

Coming home from school a few weeks ago she experienced engine running rough on the highway when trying to accelerate. We ran the diagnostic on it and it revealed that #2 cyl coil was misfiring.

I've replaced all of the rear bank coils (in hopes that I wouldn't have to remove the intake manifold again anytime soon). I also replaced the connectors and weatherproofed them.

Replaced all the plugs while I had easy access too. This all went pretty smooth with exception of breaking 3 of the 5mm coil bolts off inside the valve cover.

I've also replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets.

It runs much better now except now on the highway, at 1800 rpm/55 mph if I try a gradual acceleration I get engine sputtering and it won't accelerate. If I push hard on the pedal it will downshift and accelerate normally right past this trouble spot. Other than this it idles and runs great.

I've noticed that the 3/4 in. vac hose on back of manifold is getting pinched closed about 70%. this is the hose that leads down to the top of engine just below lower manifold. I suspect this is the problem but cannot determine the root cause. I assumed it was the intake manifold gaskets but those are now replaced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Old 02-14-2014, 03:55 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 3/4 house is the pvc valve line its . I would try to read for codes you could have a pending code. Also I'd try some good gas treatment and clean the maf sensor.