Sponsored by:

Towing 32 foot camper 1400 miles...need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 06:36 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing 32 foot camper 1400 miles...need help

I am planning on taking my 2003 Ford Excursion Limited 6.8L from Maine to Florida in April towing my 32 foot Zinger travel trailer that weighs about 7000 pounds dry. My truck has about 107,000 miles on it and I don't use it that much other than to haul my toys around and I have certainly never taken that long of a trip with it before nevermind towing my camper. I have a couple months before my trip so I am looking for any suggestions on any maintenance I should have done to the truck before my trip. I would also like to hear from people who have made similar trips. By the way, I will be bringing my wife and our two kids who are 5 and 9. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:55 AM
matt1751
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If its well maintained then just bring stuff to keep the kids occupied and enjoy the trip. I have a 03 V10 with 157k and wouldn't hesitate driving it any distance. Check all your fluids and tire pressure before you go.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:58 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Change/flush all the fluids if it's been a while. Carry an extra cop or 2 and boots. You'll be set.

Stop at historic sites and take lotsa pics with the family and post em here in a "cross country" thread.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:59 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
What do you mean by "carry and extra cop or 2 and some boots"??

Old 02-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Yeah and if you go down 95, go through NY and DC at night......

Old 02-09-2014, 08:06 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip, we are doing the Outer Banks for Spring break with our new TT.
If you are due or don't know the EX's history maybe do a trans flush. Other than that I would just change the oil & Motorcraft oil filter, give all the belts and hoses a visual inspecrion, ensure brakes are looking and working fine and one more visual check of the load range E tires and check their pressure. And of course make sure all the frontend bits and pieces are in order. Other than that make sure to have plenty of gear onboard to keep the bride and kiddies occupied for the trip.
Be sure to check out the trailer's brakes and bearings too, no fun to have trailer problems on a trip. Also pay very close attention to the ST tires on the TT, check their age and replace if over 5 years old (ages vary depending who you talk to but they do die young...) and remember that ST tires are only rated for 65MPH max.

I have become a trailer tire mainiac based on my experience of one day in the Summer of 2012. After towing 210 miles in 100 degree heat 3 of the 4 two year old load range E ST tires on our ToyHauler had belts break in them. No loss of air, just 3 tires that had the normal flat tread face for 1/2 to 2/3's of their circumfrence and a rounded tread face for the bad sections. I never felt the vibrations from the broken tires through the hitch, I found them as we were registering at the campground. The vibrations they had transmitted to the trailer led to a small electrical fire when we plugged in, wire connections had shaken loose on the 12V converter. It was an easy fix, there was enough extra wire length to re-do the connections. And the refridgerator suffered a cracked coil from the shaking, it was mounted directly above two bad tires. So having to buy 4 new tires and a new fridge ( they are expensive!) plus the little fire on the first day of a 3 week vacation got my attention. Thankfully the balance of that trip and all the ones since have been nearly trouble free! But I do now pay crazy close attention to our tires, our new TT has load range D 15"s on it now that I plan to swap out for load range E 16" LT tires as soon as the 2 year warranty period is over.

Have a great trip!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
Thanks for all of your suggestions...what is the max speed for load range E tires?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:25 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
I just checked the tires on my TT and they are a load range C tire. Should I switch them out?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:27 AM
JumpinJoe
Mountain Pass

I've literally made that trip (starting in NH, I-95) over 30 times, usually with something in-tow over the years. I'd suggest going-wide I-84 (Hartford, CT) to I-81 (PA) and transition back to I-95 either at Richmond or go through Charlotte (I-77). You'll avoid many tolls, heavy braking traffic jams, and see part of God's country.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree on doing all the fluid maintenance's. I don't know if you have a rear sway bar or not, but it makes a big difference in towing stability. Not sure of the max speed, but you won't be going much more than 70! I usually set the cruise around 68.

We did Disney World from chicago. Our first stop was Stone Mtn. That stretch was approx. 14hours, i wouldn't recomend that! 12 is max for me.

What gear ratio do you have? I have the 4.30's When i did the trip i didn't have the tuner and it was necessary to run in 3rd the entire trip. With the tuner it will stay in O/D on anything other than a hill. [/quote]

Old 02-09-2014, 08:32 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
I agree on doing all the fluid maintenance's. I don't know if you have a rear sway bar or not, but it makes a big difference in towing stability. Not sure of the max speed, but you won't be going much more than 70! I usually set the cruise around 68.

We did Disney World from chicago. Our first stop was Stone Mtn. That stretch was approx. 14hours, i wouldn't recomend that! 12 is max for me.

What gear ratio do you have? I have the 4.30's When i did the trip i didn't have the tuner and it was necessary to run in 3rd the entire trip. With the tuner it will stay in O/D on anything other than a hill.
[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what gear ratio I have. How do I find out and which gear ratio is the best for hauling a large travel trailer?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by JumpinJoe
I've literally made that trip (starting in NH, I-95) over 30 times, usually with something in-tow over the years. I'd suggest going-wide I-84 (Hartford, CT) to I-81 (PA) and transition back to I-95 either at Richmond or go through Charlotte (I-77). You'll avoid many tolls, heavy braking traffic jams, and see part of God's country.
That is a good route, but weather plays a bit in cooler months going through some snow/wind/ice prone areas in the "mountains"

Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
That is a good route, but weather plays a bit in cooler months going through some snow/wind/ice prone areas in the "mountains"
I will be going in April so I shouldn't have to worry about snow.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Sounds like a nice trip, we are doing the Outer Banks for Spring break with our new TT.
If you are due or don't know the EX's history maybe do a trans flush. Other than that I would just change the oil & Motorcraft oil filter, give all the belts and hoses a visual inspecrion, ensure brakes are looking and working fine and one more visual check of the load range E tires and check their pressure. And of course make sure all the frontend bits and pieces are in order. Other than that make sure to have plenty of gear onboard to keep the bride and kiddies occupied for the trip.
Be sure to check out the trailer's brakes and bearings too, no fun to have trailer problems on a trip. Also pay very close attention to the ST tires on the TT, check their age and replace if over 5 years old (ages vary depending who you talk to but they do die young...) and remember that ST tires are only rated for 65MPH max.

I have become a trailer tire mainiac based on my experience of one day in the Summer of 2012. After towing 210 miles in 100 degree heat 3 of the 4 two year old load range E ST tires on our ToyHauler had belts break in them. No loss of air, just 3 tires that had the normal flat tread face for 1/2 to 2/3's of their circumfrence and a rounded tread face for the bad sections. I never felt the vibrations from the broken tires through the hitch, I found them as we were registering at the campground. The vibrations they had transmitted to the trailer led to a small electrical fire when we plugged in, wire connections had shaken loose on the 12V converter. It was an easy fix, there was enough extra wire length to re-do the connections. And the refridgerator suffered a cracked coil from the shaking, it was mounted directly above two bad tires. So having to buy 4 new tires and a new fridge ( they are expensive!) plus the little fire on the first day of a 3 week vacation got my attention. Thankfully the balance of that trip and all the ones since have been nearly trouble free! But I do now pay crazy close attention to our tires, our new TT has load range D 15"s on it now that I plan to swap out for load range E 16" LT tires as soon as the 2 year warranty period is over.

Have a great trip!
Thanks. I just checked the tires on my TT and they are load range C. Should I switch them out for a D or an E tire?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Good, go the 81 route then. Last time we came through in November there was a big storm coming through so we went 95, but went at night so the traffic didn't play. But the wind and rain was fun lol.

Quick Reply: Towing 32 foot camper 1400 miles...need help