1960 ford panel del.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:42 AM
greyhound
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Question 1960 ford panel del.

Hello,
I have been working off and on over 20 years on a 1960 ford panel truck.I put a 289 automatic in it.New windshield rubber and everything in the doors to make them work smooth and quiet.I am putting a toyota steering box in it,and a couple of more hours and it will be ready to drive.Also every one seems to cut out side windows in these trucks to be able to see better.Took a long time to finish this mess and now looks good again.When ever it warms up in ohio again I will be able to get started and finish some more things on my truck.
.My question is what can you do in the back panel area to cover up the headliner bars and the side panel?Has anyone done this before and have a few snap shot of what they did to their panel trucks.Thanks for any help or ideas.Rick

Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 AM
oldebrush
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1960 ford panel del.

Hey Rick, Aloha and welcome to FTE, from someone way off on a Pacific ocean island, Oahu Hawaii. Glad to see a panel truck coming on board. I have a 57, F-100, short bed styleside, but have always liked panels.

What do you mean "Also every one seems to cut out side windows in these trucks to be able to see." Of the many panels I have seen on here, not many have side windows installed. They don't look natural with them. I have to agree with you on the nice finish getting messed up installing some extra windows. MHO?, don't do it, and I haven't even seen your truck yet. Oh yeah, do work on getting some pictures to us. Everyone here Loves pictures. Even unfinished ones (OOOPS, I better get moving on doing that too. LOL)

Good luck with getting her back on the road again. Just like Christmas again. (of course there is the snowy weather to contend with over there in Ohio, Huh?)

Again, Welcome. (I finally got to be a first welcomer)

Aloha, Tony

Old 02-07-2014, 03:38 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
I never have liked the idea of windows and would never cut up mine to do it. A friend of mine did it to his 57 and has regretted it ever since. I had a headliner in mine years ago, I made it from a material that I don't know the name of but was used for aircraft interiors, very flexible and strong. And I did the inside walls with paneling but over the years it started falling apart not being made for exterior use and I tore it out. Sorry no pictures from when it was like that.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:30 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
None of my old fords have a headliner anymore. The '37 had a beautiful surviving original, but my employee brings his dog to work, which is fine, but a year ago, his plastic bucket dog food container was breached and the mice made a bee-line for the space over the headliner. For the month that the dog food container was open, the mice filled the headliner with what seemed to be about 3 lbs of kibbles. I finally had to tear out the sagging cardboard and seat stuffing that always goes along with this. Disgusting stinky mouse urine hanti-virus kibbles BS. Sorry for the rant. Around here, the headliners will stay out for now. I have a '60 panel and no way is it ever getting one. End of rant. Welcome! You are in a really good place here. Caution, some of the guys are a bit 'eccentric'........

Old 02-08-2014, 02:25 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 615 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
None of my old fords have a headliner anymore. The '37 had a beautiful surviving original, but my employee brings his dog to work, which is fine, but a year ago, his plastic bucket dog food container was breached and the mice made a bee-line for the space over the headliner. For the month that the dog food container was open, the mice filled the headliner with what seemed to be about 3 lbs of kibbles. I finally had to tear out the sagging cardboard and seat stuffing that always goes along with this. Disgusting stinky mouse urine hanti-virus kibbles BS. Sorry for the rant. Around here, the headliners will stay out for now. I have a '60 panel and no way is it ever getting one. End of rant. Welcome! You are in a really good place here. Caution, some of the guys are a bit 'eccentric'........

And what do you mean by that, just because I save the paint chips that fall of my truck and glue them back on, by no means make me eccentric. Weird maybe, stuck in my ways, definately, but eccentric, no way!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:40 AM
greyhound
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oldebrush
Hey Rick, Aloha and welcome to FTE, from someone way off on a Pacific ocean island, Oahu Hawaii. Glad to see a panel truck coming on board. I have a 57, F-100, short bed styleside, but have always liked panels.

What do you mean "Also every one seems to cut out side windows in these trucks to be able to see." Of the many panels I have seen on here, not many have side windows installed. They don't look natural with them. I have to agree with you on the nice finish getting messed up installing some extra windows. MHO?, don't do it, and I haven't even seen your truck yet. Oh yeah, do work on getting some pictures to us. Everyone here Loves pictures. Even unfinished ones (OOOPS, I better get moving on doing that too. LOL)

Good luck with getting her back on the road again. Just like Christmas again. (of course there is the snowy weather to contend with over there in Ohio, Huh?)

Again, Welcome. (I finally got to be a first welcomer)

Aloha, Tony
HELLO TONY, I FOUND A PICTURE OF MY PANEL TRUCK WITH THE SIDE WINDOWS THAT SOME ONE INSTALLED.hAVE IT ON A FLOPPY DISC BUT DONT KNOW HOW TO GET IT ON THE POSTING OTHER THAN E MAIL. WILL ASK MY TECK ADVISOR AT SCHOOL.lATER GREYHOUND