6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Are you ready to rumble ? I am !

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:33 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you ready to rumble ? I am !

Started to just post in here, but thought I'd open it up to the superduty forum and it didn't do so well there, so here goes:

I REALLY like the new truck - it looks good, runs perfect, pulls my 5er like a dream, engine sounds strong, quiet around town, all of the above..... BUT

When the 5er is hooked to it and I have to push a bit to drag it up a hill or something, it sounds like a HUGE hair drier !!!! or leaf blower !!!!
Sickening from someone who came from the rumbling big block era !

A guy in the next lane looked over and made a face it sounded so bad

I really didn't notice it on the 2012 250, but maybe I never had to push as much? could it have been the MRBP filter back pipe I added on the 2012 - could it?

I know it has a processing plant of an exhaust system and wondering what can I do...

that is, what I can do without disabling the epa-crapola and staying ok for warranty and legal for emissions...

I NEED a lil rumble ~

Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 PM
mrjc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Started to just post in here, but thought I'd open it up to the superduty forum and it didn't do so well there, so here goes:

I REALLY like the new truck - it looks good, runs perfect, pulls my 5er like a dream, engine sounds strong, quiet around town, all of the above..... BUT

When the 5er is hooked to it and I have to push a bit to drag it up a hill or something, it sounds like a HUGE hair drier !!!! or leaf blower !!!!
Sickening from someone who came from the rumbling big block era !

A guy in the next lane looked over and made a face it sounded so bad

I really didn't notice it on the 2012 250, but maybe I never had to push as much? could it have been the MRBP filter back pipe I added on the 2012 - could it?

I know it has a processing plant of an exhaust system and wondering what can I do...

that is, what I can do without disabling the epa-crapola and staying ok for warranty and legal for emissions...

I NEED a lil rumble ~
If I open my passenger window while im pulling the 5er up a short piece of uphill by our house it sounds like a giant compressor air valve has opened. Which is basically what is happening. some kids were walking on the sidewalk as we drove by and I saw the girls hair and cloths blowing in the exhaust breeze for a few seconds as I passed them and they had disgusted look. I don't know much about exhaust mods as will have to pass a inspection next year to get tags. The engine is just a big air pump really. Mike

Old 02-01-2014, 08:20 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My air sound went away when I installed an AFE exhaust tip. It's just a replacement that bolts on in front of the rear axle and it's a 5" tip with smaller vent holes.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:23 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't found anybody that has really gained much sound by even going straight pipe from the filter back. The factory exhaust has a small resonator on it, but it isn't doing much. The DOC, SCR and DPF all neuter the sound pretty bad before it even gets to the exhaust pipe.

I agree with you. I hate the industrial hair drier sound with the engine at full load. I wish I could get it somewhere between my straight piped 6.0 and this awful sound that Ford has blessed us with.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ruschejj
My air sound went away when I installed an AFE exhaust tip. It's just a replacement that bolts on in front of the rear axle and it's a 5" tip with smaller vent holes.
This is how you get rid of that 100 pissed off cats hissing. I challenge take a flashlight shine up into tailpipe about 1.5 feet and look at the **** ant dinky hole the exhaust has to go thru. its nuts.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:40 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
That's what I was hoping Russejj & HD -
Maybe I put the mbrp filter back extension on the 2012 6.7 early enough that I never noticed the blow drier sound on it... wish I had taken it off now for this one as I only paid $130 for it and they want double or triple now

guess I'll give it a try and hopefully the extra volume will slow down the air coming out to quiet it !
(Ah, that flow dynamics I took when studying Chem Engr back in college finally comes into play ) boundary layer theorem and all that rot !!!

Old 02-01-2014, 08:45 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Old 02-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
You may have a good size outlet but up inside tells the story. that little black hole yep.its gotta go thru that.causing that horrible HISS.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are the vent holes near the tip needed? Magnaflow 18947 is the cheapest I get and has a tip but no holes. The MBRP S6248SLM is a bit more and has the holes but no tip.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:24 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The holes at the tip just allow ambient air to mix with the hot exhaust so nobody burns their skin if they stand next to it.

HD, thanks for that pic. The replacement tips by AFE and mbrp prob both replace the rear most section to get rid of that. The kit I got bolts to the rear of the DPF and it's just an open pipe from there out. It is much quieter.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:01 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
The holes near the exit are supposed to mimic the factory exhaust tip, that has slots. Supposed to help get rid of the extra heat that comes with a regen. Probably a good idea to get the pipe with the holes.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:19 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
HD - What part is that a pic of ?
the stock filter back, or the dpf, or the scr outlet ?

trying to pic where it is !

Old 02-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Stock tailpipe that goes to back of DPF
Up and over rear diff. That is tailpipe outlet.the end.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:18 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Ah, good- then replacing it with a filter back will probably help somewhat !

Old 02-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Bobbykjl
Senior User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
Ah, good- then replacing it with a filter back will probably help somewhat !
jdadamsjr, I wouldn't think changing the tail pipe would make much difference? But then again all the younger generation seem to be putting the "fart can" on the back of their 4 cylinder 4 door econo cars and it seems to make it louder...IMO it sounds like crap but it changes the sound...I think

Quick Reply: Are you ready to rumble ? I am !