1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fuel Tank and Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:01 PM
Ken's 39er
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fasteners are supplied with adapter to attach it to the tank. Sender unit should supply the fasteners and gasket for sender unit only. You will need a gasket for adapter to tank. I bought mine at LMC, PC #40-1250. Other vintage parts stores also carry this gasket. I installed Classic Instrument gauges in my 39 Ford Coupe. I put a fuel injected engine in it so replaced fuel tank with after market tank set up with an internal high pressure fuel pump. The CI sending unit mounted directly to the tank with out any adapters. It did not matter witch brand of gauges I was using so I thing tanks now use standard diameter and bolt pattern. I think the CI adapter # SN-41 will work with any brand of sending unit.
Ken

Old 01-31-2014, 06:26 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 470 Likes on 306 Posts
Originally Posted by bmoran4
For those having issues with your stock fuel gauges and new tanks, it's because there are two different "languages" being spoken. Most modern fuel gauges and senders are simply paired ohm meters and variable resistors; the gauge measures the resistance of the sending unit circuit which changes with the fuel level.

However, our stock Ford trucks used a different language, named The King-Sealy principle. These sending units supply a full 6V through a heater wire in the gauge in the form of a square wave with the duration of the "on" being the variable determining the gauge reading. The longer the duration, the more fuel in the tank. It is this full 6v of current which heats the bi-metallic strip in the stock gauge that causes the gauge to read via a small gear train. Most (if not all) after market sending units are simply a variable resistor which sends a constant closed circuit of varying resitance to the gauge. Therefore, the sending units signal doesn't heat the bimetallic strip in the gauge as much making the calibration of the after-market sending units and the stock gauges nearly impossible to match up very well due to the differences in the principle of the signal.

Modern gauges are easy to pair as long as the sendig units full and empty ohm readings match that of the modern gauge. Some senders and gauges are even highly adjustable in this regard.
Now THIS is some good info!
Same principle is used in flasher relays with the same rationale as to why they stop working when you put an LED bulb in place of the incandescent.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:34 PM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I found an company in IA called Tanks, Inc (tanksinc.com). They have everything gas tank related (fittings, adaptors, tanks) and are real nice people. You can call them and talk to a real person. They do have sending units but I don't think they do gauges. I bought a ss fuel pickup with a return line from them. Real nice piece and good price.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:49 PM
mr56effie
Freshman User
wow ok thanks everyone for all the advice i dont have any guages or sending unit yet , im still building it ,

Old 02-28-2014, 11:54 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Wayne, I went with my stock tank. I ordered a stock style sending unit, adapter ring, new gasket and Auto Meter gauge from Sacramento Vintage Ford. The only thing I had to do is slightly bend the float rod until a full tank read full, this I did with the sending unit out of the tank (using a ground wire to the S U) oh yeah at the time they only had 6 volt units, so I added a drop down resistor, but now they also carry 12 volt. I think I asked the tech at Sac Vintage Ford to make sure they matched in ohms. If you need it Ill go thru receipts to find the model #s , I should have them.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Thanks Jim...I'm good right now but I'll get in touch if I need the info.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Vin Man
Senior User
This thread has been somewhat helpful for me. I too have done the mustang tank and sending unit in my 56 F100. However, I am keeping my stock instrument cluster. If I have read the above properly, there is no way to get the mustang sending unit to send a signal to my stock gauge in a "language" that it will understand.

If someone does have a way to use the stock gauge, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:11 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Received 586 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Vin Man
If I have read the above properly, there is no way to get the mustang sending unit to send a signal to my stock gauge in a "language" that it will understand.

Vin Man, you are correct in your understanding of the incompatible "languages" used. There are a few main paths to get around this issue as seen many places on this board:

*Go the non-stock route and build a custom dash - this can be a simple aftermarket cluster replacement to cutting the dash out and working the metal to something you fancy with custom gauges galore.

*Simply place a modern gauge somewhere on/under your dash or in the glove compartment.

*The most stock look would be to take the stock gauge out of the cluster, bust it open and remove the guts. Do the same to a modernish gauge and transplant the guts into the stock gauge. Take your newly created frankengauge and return it to the cluster. A early mustang gauge looks like it may be a good choice:

If there is enough demand, there maybe a way to design a solid state "language translator". KS gauges were very popular in the first part of the 20th century and were used widely on vehicles, boats, and elsewhere, and so we Ford Truck guys&gals are not the only ones in this perdicament.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Vin Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by bmoran4
Vin Man, you are correct in your understanding of the incompatible "languages" used. There are a few main paths to get around this issue as seen many places on this board:

*Go the non-stock route and build a custom dash - this can be a simple aftermarket cluster replacement to cutting the dash out and working the metal to something you fancy with custom gauges galore.

*Simply place a modern gauge somewhere on/under your dash or in the glove compartment.

*The most stock look would be to take the stock gauge out of the cluster, bust it open and remove the guts. Do the same to a modernish gauge and transplant the guts into the stock gauge. Take your newly created frankengauge and return it to the cluster. A early mustang gauge looks like it may be a good choice:

If there is enough demand, there maybe a way to design a solid state "language translator". KS gauges were very popular in the first part of the 20th century and were used widely on vehicles, boats, and elsewhere, and so we Ford Truck guys&gals are not the only ones in this perdicament.
Thanks. Replacing my existing instrument cluster with modern gauges would have been the way to go - however, the prior owner cut 3 holes in my dash for three aftermarket gauges: oil press, temp, and volts. New instrument cluster would have all these gauges already leaving me with three holes in the dash.

What I will do is attempt to locate a fuel gauge that is same model as the three existing gauges. I will replace the volt gauge with a fuel gauge.

The only thing I will use the existing instrument cluster for is the speedometer, turn signal indicators and high beam indicators.

In hindsight, I should have patched those holes when I had the interior repainted. But that is the past...

Old 05-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Hell_Fish
Senior User
Originally Posted by Vin Man
This thread has been somewhat helpful for me. I too have done the mustang tank and sending unit in my 56 F100. However, I am keeping my stock instrument cluster. If I have read the above properly, there is no way to get the mustang sending unit to send a signal to my stock gauge in a "language" that it will understand.

Get a 60's Ford fuel gauge. Many NOS on ebay for under $20 each. Remove the bezel of the gauge and replace with the 56 bezel.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:09 PM
mr56effie
Freshman User
senders

Originally Posted by mr56effie
wow ok thanks everyone for all the advice i dont have any guages or sending unit yet , im still building it ,
well I bought a sender unit on ebay for my mustang tank and after installing it it reads 3/4 full its empty ????????

Old 05-16-2014, 07:05 PM
mr56effie
Freshman User
anyone have any ideas as to why ??

Old 05-16-2014, 07:58 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi Mr56,
I 'm not 100% sure what you have installed for a sending unit & what gauges you are running. I've gone through the sending unit to gauge fun process.

There are several different gauge ohm requirements out there depending on what you have.

o Most modern gauges are looking for something like 0 ohms to 200 ohms.

o My '70 mustang tank sending unit was 11ohms to 77 ohms or so.

You get some pretty strange readings when you don't match the gauge to the sending unit. There are some other oddball gauges/sending unit specs out there as well. So.. What are you using for each?

You also may have to fiddle with your sending unit to get it to go the full range of movement in the tank. We had to bend our's to get it to read empty with a few gallons left in the tank.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 05-19-2014, 09:28 PM
mr56effie
Freshman User
fuel sender

hi welli have a brand new set of dolphin guages and a new sender ,, lol if that helps any

Old 06-07-2014, 08:56 PM
mr56effie
Freshman User
senders

ok i found that i could adjust the sender with a supplied set screw it wasnt adjusted correctly , i hooked up the battery and now it reads empty i still gotta add fuel to see how it works but i think im in the right direction