General Automotive Discussion

Snow/Winter Tires on a FWD Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Snow/Winter Tires on a FWD Car?

Has anyone here ever had snow or winter tires only on the front wheels of a FWD car? I've heard you shouldn't do it and I've heard it doesn't matter. Anyone with some experience with it?

Old 01-22-2014, 03:18 PM
John in Canada
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruker
Has anyone here ever had snow or winter tires only on the front wheels of a FWD car? I've heard you shouldn't do it and I've heard it doesn't matter. Anyone with some experience with it?
Don't do it. If you can only afford to replace two of your winter tires always put the new rubber on the back of the car.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:26 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by John in Canada
Don't do it. If you can only afford to replace two of your winter tires always put the new rubber on the back of the car.
The way I understand his question is that he wants to put new snow/winter tires on the front of his fwd car and leave the normal all seasons on the back. I have wondered the same thing,should have went with winters this year on my fwd daily driver car as much snow as we have had,but I can buy a lot of gas in my gas hog 4x4 f150 for the price of a set of tires,so maybe I will spring for winter tires next winter.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

I have done that for years with wife's car. Studded snow tires. No problems here. CB

Old 01-23-2014, 07:33 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts

incorrect. the new tires always go on the front. what is the point of putting the new tires on the back? all they will be doing is holding the car off the road.
the fronts are both steering and traction tires, so you want the new ones up there.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:52 AM
grumpy hvacr
Senior User
I have driven a fwd cars with snow tires on the front only without a problem. Both studded and not studded.

Snow tire all the way around might help with braking.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:31 PM
John in Canada
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
what is the point of putting the new tires on the back?
Always put your new tires on the rear of the car. This is to keep the car from fishtailing. If your rear wheels start to slide while you're in a turn the car will spin out of control.

the fronts are both steering and traction tires, so you want the new ones up there.
The front wheels are much easier to control. If your front wheels lose grip the car continues to travel in a straight line and you can regain control.

Best is to have a full set of winter tires. Winter tires are made of a different kind of rubber. Regular tires can get hard at very cold temperatures and lose their grip. When the front tires start to wear out replace them with the rear tires and put new tires on the back.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:32 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All the FWD cars and minivans I have had over the years only got snow tires up front. I always left the all-season treads on the rear. I may have been doing it wrong, but I apparently lived to tell the tale...

Old 01-23-2014, 04:44 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Always put your new tires on the rear of the car. This is to keep the car from fishtailing. If your rear wheels start to slide while you're in a turn the car will spin out of control.

how will this do anything? on a front wheel drive car the back tires are only there to hold the car off the road. they offer zero control to power the car, so if they start to slide, they will continue to slide until you regain control of the car.
tires with 0 miles or tires with 20,000 miles on them will both have the same effect when on the back.

The front wheels are much easier to control. If your front wheels lose grip the car continues to travel in a straight line and you can regain control.

Best is to have a full set of winter tires. Winter tires are made of a different kind of rubber. Regular tires can get hard at very cold
temperatures and lose their grip. When the front tires start to wear out replace them with the rear tires and put new tires on the back.

at most all reputable tire shops here if you buy new tires, they MUST go on the drive axle, which on a front wheel drive vehicle is the front axle.
this is an insurance mandate, so the people can not sue the shop if they loose control because the new tires were not put on the front.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:44 PM
John in Canada
Freshman User
the back tires are only there to hold the car off the road.

at most all reputable tire shops here if you buy new tires, they MUST go on the drive axle, which on a front wheel drive vehicle is the front axle.
All the tire shops here know better.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
this is an insurance mandate, so the people can not sue the shop if they loose control because the new tires were not put on the front.
Tom, every tire shop down here recommends that on a two tire change, the new tires go on the rear no matter which axle drives it. Of course they can't mandate or force the issue but keeping the rear of the vehicle firmly planted is vital.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:49 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by tseekins
Tom, every tire shop down here recommends that on a two tire change, the new tires go on the rear no matter which axle drives it. Of course they can't mandate or force the issue but keeping the rear of the vehicle firmly planted is vital.
is that for front wheel drive or rear wheel drive?
here in Jersey, new tire have to go on the drive axle.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:21 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
is that for front wheel drive or rear wheel drive?
here in Jersey, new tire have to go on the drive axle.
Both. I grew up in Maine and the rule of thumb was new tires on back. My daughter live in Illinois, she needed four tires but could only afford two, the tire shop mounted them on back. She called me all upset as she was driving a 2006 Fusion at the time. I had to explain it to her.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny what you learn on forums like this. I have been buying tires for 28 years and I have never had this discussion before now.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
so if you can only afford two tires, the new ones go on the back and the bald ones stay on the front on a front wheel drive car?

that makes about as much sense as giving a downing person a glass of water.

Quick Reply: Snow/Winter Tires on a FWD Car?