Sponsored by: DP Tuner

considering selling, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
considering selling, need opinions

It pains me to type this but I am sure you guys have heard this story before. I am thinking seriously about selling my truck. My wife and I recently had our first child. She is now just over 3 months old and doing great.

My wife has a car, and I have a car and a truck. Before the baby my wife and I normally car pooled to work in her car. Now that she has returned to work and is doing the daycare shuffle, we are no longer car pooling. And, I have realized neither of my vehicles can really be considered daily drivers.

My car (2005 Subaru WRX STi) is too small (and loud and rough) and my truck is too big (and expensive to fuel up). I have considered getting a bigger car, but I have modified mine beyond the point of no return. I would have to find just the right enthusiast buyer, and even then would take a major loss money wise. And to be honest, I can give up the extra towing capacity of my truck before I can give up the fun I have with my car. So I think the way to go is to downsize my truck.

My truck is a black 2003 XLT, crew cab, SRW, 74k miles. Light, tasteful mods and babied since I've owned it. I have looked up the KBB value but am interested to hear what you think I should ask for it.

As for replacements, I am looking at gassers. I still need four doors, so to get a smaller truck I would have to get the 5.5' bed. Specifically, 2009-2010 with the 5.4 (and 6 speed auto), or a 2011 with the 5.0.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice. If I pull the trigger on this change the truck will be posted here first. Also, let me know if you're interested or know somebody that would be!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
List it in the state of Washington (the other Washington) for $20K OBO and see what happens. People up here would go to great "lengths" to get a low-mile 4X4 7.3L Superduty.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
List it in the state of Washington (the other Washington) for $20K OBO and see what happens. People up here would go to great "lengths" to get a low-mile 4X4 7.3L Superduty.
Thanks for the reply Tugly, you read my mind on the asking price.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:56 AM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
That blows but family comes first. Just don't get caught up in the "I need to sell this to buy this to save money" when the offset price between the two may well cover the cost of fuel. In other words, if it is going to cost you thousands, if not tens of thousands, in car payments and associated costs to make the switch, you are not saving any money. One of my neighbors has a truck that he said costs him too much to drive to work so he purchased a hybrid car for 20 some grand and now he thinks he is saving money on fuel costs

Like Tugly says, list it in states that buy these trucks at a premium. If I ever need to sell mine, I am going to take it back to Wyoming where I will get more money than if I sold it here in CA.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
...list it in states that buy these trucks at a premium.
The oil rush in the Dakotas... there's your money.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:19 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
You know whats going to happen, in a few years your going to want to do a little traveling or camping with your family (camping is living out of a back pack, buts thats me) and your going to kick yourself in the butt because you can't replace what you sold. Split your commutes between the car and truck for a while and think it over real good. 20k doesn't go very far in the big picture these days, assuming you get that. Like Dan said, the cost of something else will pay for a lot of fuel.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:31 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stinson 108-1
You know whats going to happen, in a few years your going to want to do a little traveling or camping with your family (camping is living out of a back pack, buts thats me) and your going to kick yourself in the butt because you can't replace what you sold. Split your commutes between the car and truck for a while and think it over real good. 20k doesn't go very far in the big picture these days, assuming you get that. Like Dan said, the cost of something else will pay for a lot of fuel.

I had a pair of 944S2's that I sold when the kids came along. Kept the truck though. My advice, if it is paid for I'd keep it. A smaller truck would just be, well..... small.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Thanks for the replies fellas. I really love the truck and would start missing it right after I handed over the keys!

The cost of fuel is not the motivating factor - I am not having a problem keeping the tank full. It is just overkill for my limited towing needs, and too cumbersome now that I'm driving it regularly. I need something just a little bit smaller and more comfortable, so I'm looking at newer half ton gassers.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:53 AM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
If your looking for a daily driver you could look at something older that you could pay cash or get a small loan. I'm going to look at a '96 f150 this afternoon. 4wd, 300 6, 140,000 mi. they want 1500.
Then you could save your nice truck and not have any regrets later.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Justin03PSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by cjgray1974
If your looking for a daily driver you could look at something older that you could pay cash or get a small loan. I'm going to look at a '96 f150 this afternoon. 4wd, 300 6, 140,000 mi. they want 1500.
Then you could save your nice truck and not have any regrets later.
I wish I could consider a beater, but my stable is maxed out as it is. Something's gotta go!

Old 01-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Byrd.Dog
Laughing Gas
Received 134 Likes on 106 Posts
Can you find something smaller that you like just as much as the diesel? If not, I would just buy something cheap & practical for commuting & start saving some money.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:23 PM
usmcdaveII
Senior User
Originally Posted by jetdoc
My advice, if it is paid for I'd keep it. A smaller truck would just be, well..... small.
x2, if it is paid for keep it. I have bought several vehicles in the past that were not exactly what I wanted. I end up spending more money in the long run selling and buying to get what I should have bought in the first place. I just have to have a 7.3 diesel. As a matter of fact I currently have two of them (not much to brag about) but i truly enjoy driving and modifying them, and no matter how nice and how good of deal I could get on a F-150 I would still not be satisfied. Who knows, You may also be one of these people.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:24 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stinson 108-1

^^^^^Very good advice this....

Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Jetdoc, OT, but have to say a love the Sam Adams quote in your sig. It amazes me how much personal freedom and liberty some will give up for a free handout.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Theres no way I would sell that truck bo. You have a beauty there and a rare one at that. Sell the subaru and get a full sized car and just drive the truck on the weekends man. Don't do it!!! But if you did I would ask for atleast 25k, like somebody said in the state of Washington, people will pay that all day.

Quick Reply: considering selling, need opinions