Color: Olive Drab
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): GA
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: 4WD & AWD
Color: Green
Engine: 7.3 Diesel

Long time lurker, rare poster...

I'm selling my RV project. This is an ex military 4x4 ambulance. Just over 7000 total miles on it and no rust. Unlike the GM CUCV based ambulances, this one was built to civilian spec with military options. That means: 12volt electrical, massive leece-neville alternator, air conditioning, and aluminum ambulance body (the cab was also rust proofed)

The truck is set up for an inverter, and I have a 3000 watt continuous duty (6000 peak) inverter to include with it. It's also set up for shore power and there are already outlets inside that can be used for either. It's currently set up to be manually switched from using the inverter or external power. The block heater is controlled with a protected switch under the hood.

There is a standby high idle solenoid (not the normal one) that is installed under the hood and hooked up. However, the switch is not installed so it'd need to be wired back up. That solenoid is meant for keeping the engine at higher rpms specifically for running the inverter or other high draw items off the alternator at high amperage.

The truck has a 7.3L IDI diesel and automatic transmission. Dana 60 front axle and sterling rear with a 4.10 gear ratio. The chassis is the same as a crewcab longbed chassis, with the exception of a frame extension on the back which adds an additional 2' of length.

I spent a long time looking for a truck like this, but I live in Alaska and I'm not sure I need to have so many vehicles to take that far. This truck would make a great camper or a mobile shop. I was going to make an offroad RV out of it. I looked for one of these for a long time, so I've been really hesitant to sell it, but I need to pull the trigger. It's hard enough finding a 4x4 ambulance, and then most of those are ex military Chevy rigs geared for 50mph and set up for 24volt. This truck will comfortably go highway speeds with RPMs to spare. It'd really wake up with a banks turbo kit (it's heavy, so it's no speed demon as is). Ground clearance is very good, although it doesn't look like it from pictures because it is so long.

The truck came from Ft. Jackson, SC. From the literature that came with the truck, it looks like it was used as a standby truck during training in case someone was injured. The last foot of the wood floor in the back could use replacement (or removal, the aluminum underneath is perfect), and the driver's armrest has seen better days. There is also a small tear in the driver's seat. They started to convert it to use as a facilities maintenance truck before they surplused it. The A/C compressor is frozen, but I have the parts already to repair it (compressor, evaporator/drier, oriface tube) with the exception of freon. There is also a brand new right hand turn signal to repair a broken one and what is needed to fix the umbilical between the cab and body (truck is stored where it can't get wet there in the meantime).

I did put it on craigslist, and can't upload pictures from where I'm at now, so if you want to see pictures go there at 1989 F350 4x4 Diesel ambulance

NOTE: The price here is intentionally lower than the CL price, so PM or e-mail me through this forum if you're interested. I'll respond to questions posted here as I can as well. In any case, the CL price will never be lower than this one.

I'm willing to consider trades or partial trades as well.

I'd drive this truck across the country without a second thought, but it's an older vehicle, so I won't guarantee anything to a buyer other than it making it to the highway. That said, it runs and drives great.

Truck is near Fayetteville, GA 30215

Old 02-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Baradium
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price reduced, now asking $8000 obo