1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint peeling on front diff. and axle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I agree the liquid stuff gets everywhere...the salt shed for my area is in my works parking lot and they part those liquid trucks next to it...hmmmmm lol

Old 01-24-2014, 08:41 AM
dr1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talks of aftermarket powder coated parts in this argument is laughable. They could give 100 less craps then the manufacturer how long that stuff lasts. And the internet is the one who invented this notion that powdercoating is some magic stuff. Its easy to do and get good looking results, the end.

This is not even worth discussing. Anybody just go outside and poke around under your truck, you will instantly find out which parts they decided to make out of proper metal, and which parts they decided to properly corrosion protect.. end of story.

Everytime I have to work on my wifes 2000 camry, I just have a laugh, this thing has almost as many miles as my truck and just as much beat down in the winter weather and frigging 0 rust underneath. I wonder if Toyota forums had fanboys all over the place blaming the owners or talking about who cares when all there truck frames rotted completely off 10 years in.

14 years later it makes a serious difference. Aside from still needing a new diff cover (I jbwelded it lol), I can probably rip the bed off with my bare hands had I enough determination todo so. And some Ford fanboy is going to come here and tell me that Ford just made an oopsie or its my fault that my bed supports are completely rotted out..... its not like ford has been making these trucks since before my grandfather was alive, I'd never even heard of this problem until I got a super duty lol.

They cut pennys wherever they want, and if my superduty was 2 years old and the undercoating was falling off already, id be really damn concerned it wasnt going to end up the typical POS by the time I finally paid it off.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:08 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dr1
Every time I have to work on my wife's 2000 camry, I just have a laugh, this thing has almost as many miles as my truck and just as much beat down in the winter weather and frigging 0 rust underneath. I wonder if Toyota forums had fanboys all over the place blaming the owners or talking about who cares when all there truck frames rotted completely off 10 years in.
my GF owes a 2008 Pontiac G6 car, she has 90xxxx on it and every time i change the oil, rotate the tires etc its the same feeling for me. Car is spotless underneath, all that uni body panels spot welded together look brand new, no rust between the pieces, no missing paint or anything yet my truck that i wash all winter long, sand, prep, prime, paint still has spots after the winter and i have a 77 F150 i drive on severe snow days......

Old 01-24-2014, 12:29 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by dr1
Talks of aftermarket powder coated parts in this argument is laughable. They could give 100 less craps then the manufacturer how long that stuff lasts. And the internet is the one who invented this notion that powdercoating is some magic stuff. Its easy to do and get good looking results, the end.
if that were completely true, they would just spray bomb them black and be done with it. my step bars had a 1 year warranty, so they have to make them last at least that long.

if powdercoating is no good, then what is? i haven't seen anything that works better. as i said, even bed liner doesn't hold up.
This is not even worth discussing. Anybody just go outside and poke around under your truck, you will instantly find out which parts they decided to make out of proper metal, and which parts they decided to properly corrosion protect.. end of story.

Everytime I have to work on my wifes 2000 camry, I just have a laugh, this thing has almost as many miles as my truck and just as much beat down in the winter weather and frigging 0 rust underneath. I wonder if Toyota forums had fanboys all over the place blaming the owners or talking about who cares when all there truck frames rotted completely off 10 years in.
i'm not really sure what to make of all this. my wife's 97 cavalier's underbody is nearly spotless as well, yet the rocker panels are rusted completely through.

sounds to me like you need to be in a toyota truck, though.

14 years later it makes a serious difference. Aside from still needing a new diff cover (I jbwelded it lol), I can probably rip the bed off with my bare hands had I enough determination todo so. And some Ford fanboy is going to come here and tell me that Ford just made an oopsie or its my fault that my bed supports are completely rotted out..... its not like ford has been making these trucks since before my grandfather was alive, I'd never even heard of this problem until I got a super duty lol.
its not an oopsie, and its not your fault, it just is what it is. salt is hard on stuff, that's all there is to it. at work we've switched to composite snow blades and stainless steel spreaders and dump boxes because we can't keep the steel from rusting away. it just is what it is.

about the only thing you can do is to spend the money after purchase and get it undercoated. that does seem to help.

They cut pennys wherever they want, and if my superduty was 2 years old and the undercoating was falling off already, id be really damn concerned it wasnt going to end up the typical POS by the time I finally paid it off.
he's not talking about undercoating, he's talking about paint. they just paint the axles black with regular paint, and there is no way on god's green earth that the paint is going to last very long on a vehicle that drives in winter.

ford does not undercoat vehicles unless you pay them extra for it.

again, if you live in an environment which allows you to worry about this type of stuff, get under there and spray bomb it black and be done with it. but for the rest of us, it doens't matter what you do, nothing is going to last so we just don't worry about it. as you say, end of story.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
I'm just spit balling here but could the amount of corrosion be due to the fact that these truck are so high up and wheel you turn the wheels they can basically spray the whole undercarriage? Where as in a car your very low to the ground so you don't really spray much underneath unless you go through a big puddle. Just some food for though because i was thinking about american cars and how they don't seem to rust as fast as the trucks.

Now with that said i do not want to throw wood into the Honda/Toyota have better rust protection fire. Ford did make some pretty stupid decisions fo instance the foam in the fender wells....who the hell needs sound deadening in the bed? Another example is the bed supports for instance my 04's supports look very bad in some spots but my 95 which is 9 years older and has 212k literally look brand new because its one big piece of steel rather than two sandwiched pieces. There are some bad designs

Old 01-24-2014, 03:04 PM
dr1
Senior User
I was actually making reference to all the poor Tundra owners whos frames completely rotted away because Toyota failed to properly corrosion protect them. Look it up, major recall.

Manufacturers DO screw up... Or in terms of profits, not screw up at all.. since such a large portion of an automakers target market thinks they can do no wrong. And thats just that many more parts or new vehicles to sell.

Unless this guys plowing, I'm with him for being upset hes got rust already. If the paint was applied to a properly treated surface (not made out of junk metal), we wouldnt be having the discussion at all. People pay too much money for these things. Then they get 6.0's.. hah I'm never buying a vehicle new, im letting everyone else do the beta testing for me so I can pick out the winners. That being said I'm happy with my used 2000, aside from the problems areas I mentioned. Well that and my rear leafs have 1 or 2 leafs per side left at this point, lol.. (My replacements are sitting in the driveway finally, too cold though!)

Old 01-24-2014, 03:18 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
This showed up at my GF's dads shop a few weeks ago, they were unloading it off a flat bed and when the rear wheels hit the ground it just started to bend lol.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:43 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by xmontex4
This showed up at my GF's dads shop a few weeks ago, they were unloading it off a flat bed and when the rear wheels hit the ground it just started to bend lol.
Interesting but means nothing.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
At least toyota is offering to fix the problem. In fact they went above with a offer of 150% buy back value when it first started.

Ford would tell you "tough $^%&".

Old 01-24-2014, 07:07 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
I agree that they are handling the situation very well I just though it was funny is all.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by xmontex4
I agree that they are handling the situation very well I just though it was funny is all.

It is funny and should be an eye opener to potential problems with boxed frames.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:27 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Five out of six super duty's at Columbia ford had paint peeling off the front axle in the exact place mine had peeled.
Service manager could have cared less.
**** poor quality control.
Should this be considered okay Crystal?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by T diesel
...Should this be considered okay Crystal?...
Hi T diesel,

Send me your information in a PM so I can look into this. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mielage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 03-11-2014, 01:09 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobbykjl

BTW Axle differential covers fail due to rust all the time. Grant it, not the axle tubes but they are painted with the same poor quality paint job. If the axle was painted better maybe diff covers wouldn't be rusting away.
Mine rusted through on my 2000 last year when I was on a 500 mile trip. Luckily I had stopped to eat lunch and noticed the puddle under it. If I hadn't stopped when I did then I would have been replacing a lot more than the differential cover. Advance was right across the street and had one in stock, so I just changed it in their parking lot. That was on a truck that was garage kept, never driven in the snow and meticulously maintained and only had 40,000 miles on it. My bronco has been driven in every horrible conditions(oil field roads, salt, mud, off roading, hunting trips, etc) and months without washing it and it has no rust anywhere except the usual tailgate bottom. I started spraying my sd with oil every time I change the oil in it.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:42 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
On my 2001 chassis I had deep delaminating rust on my shackles, frame rails, rotor splash shields, brake lines, spare tire well, oil pan and diff cover. So on my 2012 I cleaned them with isopropyl alcohol (IPA), mainly because I had an abundance of the stuff at 90% strength. Then I applied POR15 with a brush. I pulled the brake lines and fuel lines from the frame clips just enough to apply the POR15. Any area that was difficult to reach with a brush, I sprayed with professional grade rubberized undercoating. All bolts that might need to be removed for servicing that commonly rust solid were pulled and coated with permatex anti-seize (bed bolts, fuel tank, fuel neck bolts, EGT sensors NOX sensors ect). Larger component bolts in blind holes are never an issue to remove so they went untouched. Fluid film was for the sheet metal nooks and crannies inside the bed rails and over the arches, lower door skin seems etc. Anywhere a salty road brine can seep in, hopefully will be displaced and/or protected with the fluid film.

I'm happy with the result. After several salty road sloshings, A pressure wand has the truck chassis nice and shiny black. I love my Ford and took a proactive approach to help keep it solid where needed and cosmetically pleasing to MY eyes. Time will tell how it holds up.
[/quote]

That's alot of work, my wife just thinks I'm **** about my truck! You busy this weekend? All the adult beverages you can drink!! Seriously, I haven't coated anything as of yet, but down south we don't have the problem with salt, etc.. I do get it on a rack as much as possible to give everything a good cleaning. No paint peeling or rust issues so far.

Quick Reply: Paint peeling on front diff. and axle?