Pulled another one home

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Pulled another one home

Hi everyone,

I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing how I feel about this thing's towing ability. But I just can't help myself, so bear with me.

Drove down to Southbury, CT to pick up another project. At best I'll be fixing a couple of things and selling it, at worst a parts car for my '97. Empty the trailer is around 4,500 lbs, but I was too lazy to unload everything so it had some stuff in the nose. Figure around 5,000 lbs altogether:

Made the 74 mile trip without incident, I was able to pull the handful of 5-6% grades in 5th and 6th gear. Set the cruise at 60-61 MPH the whole way, and the MPG display showed 10.2 when I got there. Handed over some cash, received the title, and loaded her up:

Strapped it down and proceeded to drive home. Made a stop in Waterbury to have lunch at the mall with my wife and son. He enjoyed cavorting through the puddles.

The trailer now weighs around 9,000 lbs, and the truck worked noticeably harder. Those same 5-7% grades were now climbed in 4th or 5th gear; the engine never exceeded 2,600 RPM maintaining speed up those hills. The couple of times traffic got the best of me I put the hammer down and I hit 70 in just a few seconds, this thing hasn't stopped impressing me with the performance with something heavy. I didn't reset the MPG display when I got there, and the MPG display showed 9.1 MPG for the entire trip. Not to shabby at all.

Of course by the time I got home about 1" of ice and snow had accumulated. Attempted to get up my driveway in 2WD and the back of the truck nearly slid off the driveway. In 4WD it got up the driveway without incident, but I had a heck of a time getting turned around. Spent 15 minutes rocking back and forth trying to coax the rig forward after backing it in. The cooling fan came on a couple of times, and the transmission temp got as high as 223°. That's as hot as it got during the OH meet!

Finally got it parked for the night, you can see how much fun it was rocking back and forth:

The truck performed great the entire way. I think my rear end whining got a bit worse during the tow, but that's a good thing because maybe now the dealer tech be able to hear it!

Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice post Tom..glad the truck got you there and back safely. I for one never get tired of hearing about the abilities of the ecoboost or stories about hauling with them! Did you have your Stable Loads engaged?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:25 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Nice post Tom..glad the truck got you there and back safely. I for one never get tired of hearing about the abilities of the ecoboost or stories about hauling with them! Did you have your Stable Loads engaged?
Yup, I engaged them before hooking up. Wasn't real happy with how much fighting it took to get them rotated into place. I'm thinking the salt may be corroding the hardware some. I gave them a thick coating of Fluid Film last weekend, so hopefully that doesn't get any worse. If so I'll be taking a closer look and disassemble them.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
I too feel the same, never get tired of hearing Tom's stories either. I still say Ford owes him a free 2015, to use any way he wishes, and to report on that rig. I mean I swear Tom has probably sold a few thousand F-150's just on his stories and videos.

That is honestly how I ended up on my '13, EcoBoost. I loved my '11, 5.0 dearly but Tom revealing this EcoBoosts ability, was just over the top.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
I really appreciate that Pool Runner, thanks. Perhaps someone at Ford will take up your suggestion!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:25 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Tom
I really appreciate that Pool Runner, thanks. Perhaps someone at Ford will take up your suggestion!
Don't hold your breath!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 PM
jeepnford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid question of the day. How do you get the car in the trailer and get out and tie it down? Or is there more room in there than what appears in the photos?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by jeepnford
Stupid question of the day. How do you get the car in the trailer and get out and tie it down? Or is there more room in there than what appears in the photos?
Not a stupid question at all. I've had some cars with enough room to open the door and squeeze out, but larger ones you have to climb out the window. The worst one was the Excursion. I had my wife back it in so I could run around and check clearances, she had to climb out the back.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:55 PM
jeepnford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Excursion looks really snug. I have a regular flat car trailer and have gone after friends and families cars when they bought something that needed work or were broke down. It's usually kind of entertaining.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Thanks for posting Tom, as others have mentioned, I enjoy the towing stories and PICS!

Originally Posted by Tom
The worst one was the Excursion. I had my wife back it in so I could run around and check clearances, she had to climb out the back.
My favorite of the tow stories, can't believe it fit in the trailer! Also cool you got to haul to her new home

Old 01-18-2014, 10:47 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Not a stupid question at all. I've had some cars with enough room to open the door and squeeze out, but larger ones you have to climb out the window. The worst one was the Excursion. I had my wife back it in so I could run around and check clearances, she had to climb out the back.

HOLY COW!!! I would have never guessed that thing would have ever fit in that trailer. And that right there is a true testament as well as the 15,000 lb. gravel trailer pull, as to the capabilities of the egobooster. Your photos and videos rock!g Keep em coming bud.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:40 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by paredneck33
HOLY COW!!! I would have never guessed that thing would have ever fit in that trailer. And that right there is a true testament as well as the 15,000 lb. gravel trailer pull, as to the capabilities of the egobooster. Your photos and videos rock!g Keep em coming bud.
The other trick would be to deflate the tires some for more clearance from hitting the top of the trailer.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Yeah, but that would only work for the height clearance. I was thinking more about the width clearance. I would have never guessed that I would have fit. Even if you would have has to pull the mirrors off. I know one thing for sure. My wife would have never ever even attempted to do the job. No matter who or how many people watched and guided her in there. And Tom's wife appears to be as cool as a cucumber so to speak.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:29 AM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Prince I gotta tell ya man. I Love your friggin avatar. I chuckle every time I look at it.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:37 AM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
all tom has to do is tell his story on the ford website to apply for a 15 LOL..

Quick Reply: Pulled another one home