6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Front end shake/steering wheel play/ Death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:16 PM
MRMlandscapingDE
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end shake/steering wheel play/ Death wobble

I have a 2010 f 350 with about 85k. I've replaced all tie rod ends, drag link, tried a aftermarket track bar (hated it), stock track bar back on, new track bar bushing, new track bar ball joint, new tires, full alignment (multiple checks). Had a rancho dual shock stabilizer kit and blew out both shocks after a year. It worked great till they blew out.

The truck has had a few months here and there where it worked great after each repair. It is a full time daily driver and part time work truck. I usually only use this truck to pull my dump trailer which weighs up to about 8k.

It seems as if my wheel has about 2-3 inches of play before the wheels react. If I'm going about 35 and hit a bump I shake for about 5 seconds (a slight death wobble). I'm thinking the steering box needs adjusting???

The tie rods all feel tight to me. I have a 250 with zero issues to compare to.

My mechanic told my not to use a new dual shock stabilizer because it covers real issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If I cant resolve this I'm going to trade it in! Thank you in advance.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:25 AM
countryboy73703
Senior User
Did you ever find out anything on this. I also have too put play in the steering wheel and everything seems to be solid, how ever i'm going to replace my ball joints anyways. Also, it sounds like you replaced the bushing in the factory track bar. if this is correct how easy/hard was it. Did you have to remove it completely or only the top mount? I found this morning that the bushing is shot and needs replaced. Not really in my budget to replaced with an aftermarket adjustable bar since I'm moving to a new state in a few weeks. only trying to replace the bushing.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:43 PM
fatboytx
Senior User
Folks seem to be replacing the drag link and sometimes the steering box. Haven't heard of anyone replacing ball joints for the wobble problem. If you need them you need them but seems unlikely its your problem. BTW ... 4x4 ... lift ... stock suspension ?

Old 03-07-2015, 08:23 AM
countryboy73703
Senior User
I'm doing the ball joints cause Im getting a popping sound and a non solid front end. Have about 98k so they prob need to be done. Going to attempt to just do the bushing rather than replace the whole bar. The bushing is definently shot. I can see it moving and here it clanking when jiggling the wheel back and forth. Hopefully nothing else goes wrong in the process. '08 f250 fx4 6.4. 3in level in the front with 2 inch in the back. 35's on 18's. Spartan 300 tune

Old 10-16-2015, 05:34 PM
PinkyRingz
Senior User
Any progress on this? what happened? i had a pretty bad wobble in my 2010 6.4. I took it to dealer, told me tire pressures must be off. I told him to fix it, they than told me the u-joints at the wheel hubs in the front were seized. Changed them and did a oil and fuel filter change. Fixed a damaged manual locking hub on left front. $1700.00 dollars later on the drive home, hit some bumps and it death wobbled again BUT not near as bad as before and went away shortly after it started.
Before when the wobble started i'd have to hit the gravel shoulder to take the wobble out and than get back on the pavement.

I am thinking of taking it to a wheel alignment shop to make sure it's lined up proper.

I had a local backyard mechanic who looked at the truck and said the trackbar ends (bushings I assume) were sloppy. So if I get the parts and help him he said he'd change it with me.

In this day and age how can something apparently so common as "death wobble" be so undiagnosable and expensive to fix? I don't understand why the dealers seem to be so inept about this issue. Maybe it's just me but seems like there is always a mechanic in his/her field who has seen it all and done it all and no one knows about death wobble??? in the history of solid front axle trucks? lolol

Can someone help me please?

Old 10-23-2015, 09:15 AM
countryboy73703
Senior User
The bushing on the top end of the track bar isn't too bad. Getting it out can be a pain but the new one will go in no problem. Keep in mind that bolt gets torque to 405 ft/lbs! I only did mine o like 250 cause I didn't have a big enough torque wrench. It only gets driven on the weekends now cause I have my work truck. I never did do my ball joints.. well I bought new ones, and attempted to them, however, I couldn't get the c-ring out of the hub. it was being a .... well you get my point, regardless it was right before I was moving to a new stay and didn't want to break anything.. maybe I should attempt it again now that I hardly drive it. I"ll let you know, I also get think that the front U-joints were a good thing to do, especially cause they aren't too expensive, however, they wouldn't really contribute to the vibration because they only rotate when the 4x4 is engaged... so that didn't help you out any on the wobble. but still a good thing to do while your in there. let me know if you have any other ideas... Tire pressure shouldn't matter that much either... I would try checking out the bearings for sure.. the front ones aren't cheap at all though.... good luck!