Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2015 announced

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:54 PM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it, although I thought it would look more like the Atlas concept. The only part that looks "Tundra-ish" to me is the top of the grill/ front hood area, and even that looks OK. Cool that it has push button start, as well as all the other fluff. I won't be buying one, as I'm fully into the SuperDuty mode now, but I'm sure it'll do well. Looks like Ford is selling out to the turbo motors, they better work out for the long haul. Still wondering when the SD line will get an EcoBoost option.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:08 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Just FYI, my "souped up V6" was faster than every Super Duty up the hill at the OH meet last summer. That included a 6.2L V8, 6.8L V10, and 6.0L and 6.4L turbodiesels. We even waited until the hottest part of the day to see how she'd stand up to 90°+ heat towing nearly 50% over rated capacity.

Yup...definitely a yuppie truck.
I normally wouldn't say anything about this post, but I've driven several Ecoboost F-150s, 6.2 V8s, and tons of diesels.... It's one thing to say you could get up the hill faster, but there's no chance in hell that you got up those hills faster than a 6.2 or those diesels with the same load and it doesn't count if those drivers simply didn't want to drive as fast as you did. Lots of variables in that post.. I can't say about the V10, I haven't driven many of them...

The Ecoboost runs fine, but there's no point in implying that your Ecoboost has the ***** to pull harder and faster than diesels are at similar weights... Your Ecoboost is in competition with the IDI, not the 6.0 or 6.4 LOL

Old 01-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
I normally wouldn't say anything about this post, but I've driven several Ecoboost F-150s, 6.2 V8s, and tons of diesels.... It's one thing to say you could get up the hill faster, but there's no chance in hell that you got up those hills faster than a 6.2 or those diesels with the same load and it doesn't count if those drivers simply didn't want to drive as fast as you did. Lots of variables in that post.. I can't say about the V10, I haven't driven many of them...

The Ecoboost runs fine, but there's no point in implying that your Ecoboost has the ***** to pull harder and faster than diesels are at similar weights... Your Ecoboost is in competition with the IDI, not the 6.0 or 6.4 LOL
Your post reeks with ignorance. It was the same trailer. And my little IDI-competing truck pulled during higher temperatures than most of the other trucks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-hd-video.html

And you can even watch the videos. Which IDI engine makes 420 ft-lbs and 365 HP?

Old 01-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Just FYI, my "souped up V6" was faster than every Super Duty up the hill at the OH meet last summer. That included a 6.2L V8, 6.8L V10, and 6.0L and 6.4L turbodiesels. We even waited until the hottest part of the day to see how she'd stand up to 90°+ heat towing nearly 50% over rated capacity.

Yup...definitely a yuppie truck.
Tom, I had a 13 EB MaxTow, I think I know the capabilities of the EB engine. I bet my truck would have done good in your hill test. I never knew towing was a racing sport. I tow for pleasure not a contest. The more they hi tech/bling out/shape shift/space age the F150 the more your marketing to a different buyer.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home!
Tom, I had a 13 EB MaxTow, I think I know the capabilities of the EB engine. I bet my truck would have done good in your hill test. I never knew towing was a racing sport. I tow for pleasure not a contest. The more they hi tech/bling out/shape shift/space age the F150 the more your marketing to a different buyer.
Perhaps. My point was mainly that you decried the demise of the big V8 as a sign the truck is doomed to yuppieville. And yet the top-level boosted V6 makes more torque than your V8 does, and has proven to tow really well. That's all.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:34 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tom
Your post reeks with ignorance. It was the same trailer. And my little IDI-competing truck pulled during higher temperatures than most of the other trucks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-hd-video.html

And you can even watch the videos. Which IDI engine makes 420 ft-lbs and 365 HP?
That IDI comment was just me being a bit off an A$$. IDIs suck majorly. LOL. However, I am NOT ignorant. I have driven many of these trucks myself and obviously have had different experiences than you have.

I'll stick my foot in my mouth this time, but I'll pretty well guarantee that my old a$$ OBS wouldn't get out pulled by any Ecoboost F-150s. LOL I'll even turn the tuning down a couple hundred horsepower.

On a serious note, that test makes absolutely no sense to me.. The few Ecoboosts I've driven seem like nothing special really. Like replace the 6.4 in one of our 15k lbs work trucks, then throw a trailer on it and hit a gross of about 25-30k lbs... The Ecoboost is going to need some insane gearing to move that based off of my experience with them. Our 6.4 work trucks are running 4.56s. LOL

Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
That IDI comment was just me being a bit off an A$$. IDIs suck majorly. LOL.

Well I guess stick my foot in my mouth, but I'll pretty well guarantee that my old a$$ OBS wouldn't get out pulled by any Ecoboost F-150s. LOL I'll even turn the tuning down a couple hundred horsepower.

On a serious note, that test makes absolutely no sense to me.. The few Ecoboosts I've driven seem like nothing special really. Like replace the 6.4 in one of our 15k lbs work trucks, then throw a trailer on it and hit a gross of about 25-30k lbs... The Ecoboost is going to need some insane gearing to move that based off of my experience with them. Our 6.4 work trucks are running 4.56s. LOL
Oh don't get me wrong, I've owned a 6.4L and 6.7L truck in the past and really respect what they can do. It still amazes me that a simple tuner makes the 6.4L engine belt out over 600 HP. If I towed the trailer in my sig every day I'd still have the F350. But there's a huge market out there that needs the capability to tow heavy every once in awhile, and I think the EB engines do a spectacular job for that kind of use. I'm very curious to see how well they hold up long-term, but so far they seem to be doing really well.

And I've seen one too many sports cars get trounced by tuned diesels to doubt your last claim.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 PM
sandfarmer
Junior User
I like it! I agree, has a hint of Super Duty lurking in the face, which makes me like it even more. I'm usually slow to adapt to a new body style but this one looks good!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
Oh don't get me wrong, I've owned a 6.4L and 6.7L truck in the past and really respect what they can do. It still amazes me that a simple tuner makes the 6.4L engine belt out over 600 HP. If I towed the trailer in my sig every day I'd still have the F350. But there's a huge market out there that needs the capability to tow heavy every once in awhile, and I think the EB engines do a spectacular job for that kind of use. I'm very curious to see how well they hold up long-term, but so far they seem to be doing really well.

And I've seen one too many sports cars get trounced by tuned diesels to doubt your last claim.
Your absolutely right, the EB is a great engine for towing occasional real heavy loads and towing medium loads all the time..i liked the EB for what it offers and I know you like yours..Only time will tell if it holds together w/o issue..we can say that just about any motor today. I like my 6.2L and the SD is a more solid truck when towing, w/little effort and no bouncing rear. Even you had to modify your EB to get it to a point to tow your rig more solid.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Go Big or Go Home
Only time will tell if it holds together w/o issue
No kidding. I'm still skeptical with all of the complexity and power they make out of such a small engine. It'll be another 5-10 years before we know that for sure though.

Even you had to modify your EB to get it to a point to tow your rig more solid.
You may have confused me with someone else, the engine is bone stock.

Just was perusing the Ford website and was reading what they had to say. This stuck out to me:

Originally Posted by Ford Motor Company
Which is why the all-new F-150 is designed to deliver more towing and hauling capability than the previous generation
More than the 11,300 lbs the current gen trucks can pull? How much more is possible with a half-ton chassis? Perhaps this is due to the lighter unladen weight permitting more payload or tongue weight?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:03 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tom
Ahhhh the main reason I even started driving diesels right there. I love my diesels and I don't see myself getting away from them anytime soon, but now I want to go find someone with an Ecoboost, hook them up to a trailer and see what it will do against my OBS with the same load in the 100*+ Texas heat.

How do you think yours would do at the weight in that thread in 100*+ going uphill for a few miles trying to hold 75ish MPH down the highway? In the videos in the link you posted, yours got up to 239*, but y'all weren't moving terribly fast, so I'm curious. My truck usually runs about 210-220* pulling heavy in these temps.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:07 PM
ciscofreak
Tuned

What makes a diesel truck pull a load faster than a gas truck? Is there something magical about diesel horsepower that makes it stronger than gas horsepower? Fact is the Ecoboost had the highest factory HP that day and it towed the trailer up the hill the quickest. Who would've thought that?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Go Big or Go Home!
Senior User
Tom, I thought you added air bags in your rear to stabilize and give truck a better handling when towing,,i guess I was wrong then..My bad..

Old 01-13-2014, 08:13 PM
ciscofreak
Tuned
Ahhhh the main reason I even started driving diesels right there. I love my diesels and I don't see myself getting away from them anytime soon, but now I want to go find someone with an Ecoboost, hook them up to a trailer and see what it will do against my OBS with the same load in the 100*+ Texas heat.

How do you think yours would do at the weight in that thread in 100*+ going uphill for a few miles trying to hold 75ish MPH down the highway? In the videos in the link you posted, yours got up to 239*, but y'all weren't moving terribly fast, so I'm curious. My truck usually runs about 210-220* pulling heavy in these temps.
Fact is your tuned 2000 would get embarrassed at any speed against the half-ton Ecoboost. Torque gets the load moving from a stop, HP is what matters after that.

Diesels are great for mileage over the gassers and the fact that some people don't want to listen to their motor turn high rpms to keep the truck in the powerband.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Tom, I thought you added air bags in your rear to stabilize and give truck a better handling when towing,,i guess I was wrong then..My bad..
Oh, the suspension. Yeah, I got the opportunity to demo the Torklift StableLoads, and those do stiffen up the rear suspension for better handling while towing. At the OH meet we towed with them engaged and disengaged, and there was a noticeable improvement in lateral stability. The truck didn't feel unsafe without them, but they certainly helped out.

A bit more on-topic, does the 2015 look lower to the ground to the rest of you guys? It seriously looks almost Chevy-esque in it's stance. Given the priority of fuel economy that shouldn't surprise me.

Quick Reply: 2015 announced