1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Picked up an 8ba last night. Need some answers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Is this aluminum gear on the right the correct way for 8ba or the wrong way? Thanks, GB

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2014, 11:57 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
You need to look at your crank gear. VanPelt's website is showing both left and right hand cam gears for 8BA's, I don't know how that can be. The 8BA's with the side-mount distributor put cam thrust to the timing cover, the 59 series engines put the thrust against the block. How an 8BA would be able to use the early-style gear is beyond me, but matching the crank gear is the sure-fire way to go.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I'll check tonight after I get back from the mainland. Thanks, G.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:48 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
The aluminum one is opposite of what's on this 8ba.... I will tell you that with the engine bay totally stripped and clean, frame rails just settin' there, I still go back and forth on the powerplant. Gonna go off island tomorrow, on a pretty long trip with the wife and two dogs, to pick up everything I need to stick my ups truck cummins 6 in there. The flathead should be buttoned up soon and running on my stand, the cummins runs perfectly and is on a running stand. Both have advantages. I'll be gone a couple days, but it might take a while after I get back to decide which way to head on this project. The guy I bought the flathead from said for me to check it out before I bought it. I may keep it either way. I'm not into much money for both engines and both trannys. Oh, and these are photos of this morning. Finally got the drivers side head off (another hour) from the '47s original 59ab. Then I made a tool with a slotted 3/4 dowell and a bolt and 3 hose clamps and a torn 4" 100 grit sanding belt. This sanded or honed out the hideous rust from the cylinder walls (took pretty good care of the ridge too). Then I ran them a bit at bottom center with a real hone. It now rolls over like it should. Three of the valves were stuck, but they all work properly now, except for the intake valve I bent with a chisel, crow bar or oak wedge when I was leveraging off the stuck head...... The reason I went to this troube is I'm obsessed, and couldn't just toss it in my scrap pile, and I have not seen even the smallest crack in it. Quite rare.

Attached Images      
Old 01-18-2014, 10:22 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Do the rest of us odd folks a favor and keep it a flathead. The more of us are out there the less weird we feel. "See, I'm not alone, there's lots of us out there. There's even this guy up in Washington state who lives on an island and uses one for his business"...

On a serious note, one of the reasons I like stock is I always know what parts fit. If you do the modifications and know what parts you used, the later engine may make more sense for a business truck. I do like them stock though.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:27 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
This Portland thing is a huge commitment. I don't really NEED a parts cummins engine and chev big truck trans shouldn't be too hard to find locally, so still sorting this one out. Just thought if I had both engine/tranny options sitting here, I could figure it out scientifically like with a coin toss. If I go flattie, I'll need a radiator. The one in the truck is in poor shape. I have a good rad for the diesel. Running the 8ba next week will help me decide. In the meanwhile I can do the brakes and other stuff. I'll let you know for sure.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:33 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I like them to look stock, but perhaps a surprise under the hood. Not into aftermarket wheels and all that stuff. Here's something that was offered back in the day......

Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2014, 10:35 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I just noticed the 59 engine has a block drain. If you get a chance, please take a picture of that. Is there one on each side?

As far as checking for cracks, the area just above the pan rail is a "popular" area for freeze cracks.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When did Ford offer the Detroit and Cummins (sp) in the big trucks?

And Ya know I would pick the Flattie also. But the Diesel is also way cool.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:22 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
In ALL my 60 years, I have never been so indecisive about anything!!!! I just let the little missus head off to the mainland by herself, no Portland this time. I'm staying here and with some luck, put this 8ba back together. When I finally decide on something, it's headlong into it, with NO looking back. If the 8ba smokes, leaks or has poor oil pressure I can make a better informed decision. Been finding more problems with clutch parts with the diesel, and so even a slightly worn flattie will get this thing rolling again. Whatever... flip/flop/flip/flop. You flathead fans are back to gaining some ground. Other's opinions actually matter to me. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:32 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I just noticed the 59 engine has a block drain. If you get a chance, please take a picture of that. Is there one on each side?
Block drains are fairly common on the older flatheads. One of the ways to spot a 1932 flathead is the angle of the block drains. All 59 series and older flatheads I have seen have a tapped hole at the bottom of the water jacket behind the water pumps.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:36 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I realized after I posted that that that drain is at the front of the engine, which does almost no good. The back of the block is where all the mud collects, due to the angle of the drivetrain. I've seen where guys have added drains at the back, but there's no areas with a lot of meat where I'd want to drill and tap.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:26 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Heading to napa store for oil in about 1/2 hour......I wonder if they have the filter? The carb could be sketchy, havent looked inside yet. I have no kit for it.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:14 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Napa closes early on Saturday. 4:00, so I missed them. Took three carbs to find a good float, but came up with a beauty, just before I gave up. Carb is together, intake, heads, pan on. Threaded on an oil pressure gauge, plugged the extra holes for heater hose connections etc. I don't have the correct stand for the fuel pump, but I think I have a good fuel pump. I stuck the push rod in the hole and will use an outboard motor 6 gallon tank with squeeze ball for a fuel pump for initial start. I have a real nice driver's side exhaust manifold, and saw a bucket of exhaust manifolds in the attic, so I'm sure I have a good passenger side one in there. I have a cardboard box of spark plug wires from everything imaginable. Spark plug wires won't be pretty at first. Not sure about running a radiator and fan on the test stand, but before it goes in the truck , I want to run it pretty long, so I need to find that old rad from my '38. It just isn't where I remembered it to be.... Funny how that happens............

Old 01-19-2014, 08:24 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
V8 radiators are interchangeable from 42-52, just the top hoses are smaller size starting in 48. Are there any usable F-1 to F-6 radiators in your area?

Quick Reply: Picked up an 8ba last night. Need some answers