1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

time is short

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time is short

Gentlemen first let me thank you for reading, responding, and helping me with my question. I have a ran across a "1970 Ford Mustang Torino 351 Cleveland", this is how the advertisement reads, for sale at a nice price but the time frame to purchase it is very narrow. I don't know what condition the engine is in but I am willing to gamble on it if it will fit my truck. I don't have any numbers off this engine but I feel certain the guy selling it is being honest with me. My question is will it bolt into my 1985 F250 4X4 with a NP435 manual 4 speed transmission? I know this is the correct transmission because I recently had to buy some parts and work on it. I can move motor mounts if I have to but I really need to know if this engine will bolt up to my bell housing? I am currently running a 351W in this truck. Again thank you for your help.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:13 AM
SSellers
Senior User
Bell housing 351W/351C interchangable?

^^^This says yes, but what are you going to do about exhaust, brackets, and pulleys?
Around here, a rebuild on a Windsor 5.8L is $1300 for stock ranging to $2200 for a 340hp build.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:17 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The bellhousing pattern is the same.
Be mindful that the exhaust manifolds are different, and car manifolds may not fit in the truck.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Gentlemen a million thanks. I was finally able to actually talk to the seller and he owns a junk yard. He guaranteed me the engine is in rebuildable condition and it is definately a 1970 351 Cleveland. I don't know why he advertised it as a "Mustang Torino" because he said it came out of a F150. I am so excited because I have been trying to find a jewel like this for over a year and a half. I did find two in the past, one in Florida and one in Kentucky, way to far for me to drive and they wouldn't ship them to me. I found this one and it's only a two and a half hour drive from my house. I did purchase it and going to pick it up Monday. Again let me thank you for your input, help and advice, you guys are great.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:38 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Can I ask why you want a Cleveland and not a Windsor?

I don't think They were ever found in F-series trucks.
If it is an M, you will have issues that you already know about.

Be leery of ignorant or B.S. junkyard salesmen.
He has already shown that he is being deceptive by offering an engine out of a truck as "Mustang Torino"

Old 01-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
No sir I don't mind you asking, actually I appreciate the questions because they help keep my thinking "crisp". Questions help me evaluate the logic of my own thinking thus improving my ability to make wise decisions. I thank you for asking and sharing your knowledge.

First I am not really interested in the "name" associated with the engine, Windsor or Cleveland either one is ok with me, it's the year model I am after. Sometime back I PMed a very well know, very intelligent member of this board asking for his advise on an engine to rebuild to go in my truck and told him what I would like to get out of the engine when I finished with it. He provided me with a link to a website as an answer to my question to him. I will try to provide this link here. WHAT IS THE BEST 351 BLOCK TO USE? | Mustang Forums at StangNet I'm not very computer savy so I hope the link worked.

Now the question remains does this engine fit the requirements described in this link? From the numbers I have on the engine I purchased D0AE-L OK29 the only thing I have been able to determine is: 1970 Ford Generic/Galaxie Engine (not sure but I THINK the "L" says something about the heads), exact date of manufacture is November 29, 1970. I got this information from 2 different websites about Ford numbers.

The question still remains is this a 351 Cleveland or not? I will again try to provide a link and perhaps you gentlemen can help answer this question also if you don't mind.
1970 Ford Mustang Torino 351 Cleveland Engine | eBay

I was willing to gamble the cost of purchasing this engine so I am picking it up on Monday. Perhaps I lost the gamble, perhaps I didn't, but either way I would greatly appreciate you input, thoughts, and ideas. I would like very much to rebuild an engine that puts out about 400-450hp for my truck, just a hobby dream of mine but I know I have a lot to learn. If you don't mind sharing your knowledge I would appreciate the education. Perhaps there is something in the link to the engine I should have spotted and didn't, please point it out to me. Again I thank you for your input and look forward to reading your comments.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:42 AM
MavSprint
Elder User
You could print this out and take it with you. Ford V8 Engine Identification - FORDification.com

Think you want to know what your getting before you haul it home. Maybe if its not what he said it was you can get a refund.

I'd prefer a 351W because parts are more plentiful and less expensive. The '94-'96 351W truck engines have roller tappets but, depending on how you go about it, it can be expensive to get rid of the computer controlled EFI and ignition.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:49 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Well the Ebay listing shows the seller as 100%+.
You can count the valve cover bolts in his pictures yourself.
(and also see that it is a 2V)
The lack of manifolds would be a problem, but you aren't going to get close to the #'s you want without full length headers anyhow.

Gross horsepower w/ 2V heads was 250 on 93 octane fuel, from what I read.
3512VC
450 horse is over 1 1/4 Hp per ci.
That's a lot to ask for in something that is streetable and has some manners.
I think 450 would be a little much for my 460!

Your link points to a thread about Windsors.
Quick Google search shows these threads about 351C blocks.
http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=55446.0
351 Cleveland & Ford Block Specs

Pistons and other components for these engines don't seem as ubiquitous or inexpensive as the Windsor family but there are still some old school guys with the knowledge to build them.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:49 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Double post

Hope the whole forum isn't going through this crap again.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:12 PM
brad1979
Senior User
It could be a Cleveland or modified, you would have to measure the block height or check the bell housing pattern. If it is a Cleveland it will drop in since you have a 351 W. I have put a cleveland in a 300 I6 truck and a 260 V8 truck. There are only a few minor details that don't quite work, such as headers. Accessory drive setup is different between Cleveland and windsor, so you will need all the brackets etc. I like my cleveland but they are not really designed for a heavy truck and lack low end torque even when built for it. They like to rev.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Hogtrapper
Tuned
Gentlemen I can't thank you enough for your input, I really appreciate it. I have read a couple of rebuild books on these engines, and I am in no way an expert but I do hope to some day be an old school guy that can rebuild them LOL. Rebuilding one of these has always been a dream of mine ever since I can remember, now I hope I get the chance. 450hp may be more than I, and this engine, are capable of but I am going to try just for the fun of it. Maybe a more realistic goal is say 350hp I don't know but we shall see. Maybe I'm crazy for trying this but I got to try just for the fun of it and the experience/knowledge. I am going to print the web page recommended and carry it with me and I thank you for the link. I am sure I will be picking ya'lls' brains again when I begin the rebuild and again I appreciate your input and comments. Thank you again gentlemen, your knowledge is priceless and I appreciate you sharing it with me.