Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OBDII Blues

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
OBDII Blues

Another hot topic right now: OBDII Bluetooth interfaces. There is a lot of "buzz" on what works and what doesn't - and what they do and don't work on or with. There's more to this than work yes or work no... there's speed. We are a "bit" blessed in that our 7.3L has a fast OBDII communication protocol - J1850 PWM (Pulse Width Modulated). It's capable of a baud rate of 41Kbps... but many Bluetooth devices I've seen only go up to 10Kbps. I have an example of what a difference this makes:

In both of these videos, I'm monitoring 9 PIDs (the second example doesn't show the other 3, but they are on the second screen with the data flowing at the same pace). The first is AE with the wired USB device that comes with the software. I have tried the software and interface on two laptops - my glacier-melting slow netbook and my bit-burning I7 laptop with 8 processors and USB3... they both behave the same. Watch the data refresh rate:

In this second video, I just did an accelerator bump with a Nexus 7 (Bluetooth v4 hardware/driver), Torque Pro, and an OBDLink MX (Bluetooth v3 hardware) - purported to be as fast as it gets for this type of device:

If you find a unit you like for $6, $12, or $20 that works - good job. If you're looking for something fast that supports bi-directional mode (need this for software that will do a buzz test or a CCT), supports CAN (500Kbps on all 2009 and newer vehicles), is compatible with your portable device, and doesn't force you to push the button each time - read the fine print, folks. According to the brochure, my setup can read as many as 62 PIDs/second simultaneously (124 PIDs/second with a PC), but I won't be testing that capability.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:04 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you have any information on data rates for Wifi OBD2 readers?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:28 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the thread Rich, I haven't put any research time into wireless devices. Do you have certain apps or devices you would recommend?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Is there a thread on what the OBDII readers can do for our trucks? I was under the impression that they did not work all that well with the 7.3s

Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 AM
excavator
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This one is compatible with - Supports all OBD-II Protocols (ISO15765-4 (CAN), ISO14230-4 (KWP2000), ISO9141-2, J1850 VPW, J1850 PWM)
It works great on my 99 7.3
It works on my OBS 7.3 but just flashes that not connected on first starting app but still works

CY-B06 Super Mini ElM327 v1.5 Bluetooth OBD2 CAN-BUS Auto Scanner Tool Supports All OBD-II Protocols Compatible for OBD-II Complaint Vehicles and Bluetooth Diagnostic - Newegg.com

Old 01-11-2014, 10:07 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Brother Les
Is there a thread on what the OBDII readers can do for our trucks? I was under the impression that they did not work all that well with the 7.3s
Some of the cheap readers found on Amazon and E-bay state they are compatible with our protocol. They may not be. On the Torque website they have a list of what works and a disclaimer about buying some of the cheaper readers. Dash Command also has a disclaimer. If you do find a cheap reader that works, the data rate may limit how many gauges can be viewed at a time and how often the data is updated.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:21 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rich thank you for touching on this subject ! OBDII and all the different ones on the market, I am so lost and I don't want to be a "lemming". Now from what you had explained before in a different tread "Diesel Dash" post #41 about bluetooth, wifi and 3g/4g signals. Now of these 3 different communication signals which do you think will take over as a leader in what software designers will use. It seems to me that bluetooth is going to be replaced by wifi as the leader there. But do think software people will end up adopting a 4g type of signal actually by that time I would think it will be a 5.5g. Just your thoughts on that??

Now the more and more read I think you are a ahead of the curve when you say OBDII and head units is about to break wide open but just not yet. Your research, R&D and data garthering is really apperciated.

But for me it is like trying to pour a 12oz beer into a shot glass !!
I am only able to process about 1oz of info and the other 11oz's are lost. It just goes over my head. It is kinda funny when I was a young man I knew everything and then when I hit 40 yrs old I thought I knew alot. Now that I am over 50 yrs old I am as dumb as a box of rocks.
So for me one shot glass at a time!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by excavator
This one is compatible with - Supports all OBD-II Protocols (ISO15765-4 (CAN), ISO14230-4 (KWP2000), ISO9141-2, J1850 VPW, J1850 PWM)
It works great on my 99 7.3
It works on my OBS 7.3 but just flashes that not connected on first starting app but still works

CY-B06 Super Mini ElM327 v1.5 Bluetooth OBD2 CAN-BUS Auto Scanner Tool Supports All OBD-II Protocols Compatible for OBD-II Complaint Vehicles and Bluetooth Diagnostic - Newegg.com
EXC...that link/b.t. u posted is what i "had", however, COULD NOT get it to read my L99

Old 01-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CGMKCM
Do you have any information on data rates for Wifi OBD2 readers?
I haven't looked into it, but I have no reason to believe they would be any faster. The speed limit is set by the vehicle network, and only the fastest OBDII dongles will match the maximum bandwidth. My OBDLink MX goes as fast as any vehicle network, but it will not work with Apple products (iPad, iPhone, iDash, iWhatever). Homework is needed on that one, but I'm sure Apple is eager to share the info.

Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Do you have certain apps or devices you would recommend?
Look for any thread I've started within the last week or so. I've been on a real OBDII kick here lately, and I've been sharing what I learn - complete with photos, videos, screen shots, etc.... I usually avoid recommending, but I offer up the options, pros, cons, and caveats. It's then up to the reader to find what fits their particular situation, need, and budget.

Originally Posted by Brother Les
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Now from what you had explained before in a different tread "Diesel Dash" post #41 about bluetooth, wifi and 3g/4g signals. Now of these 3 different communication signals which do you think will take over as a leader in what software designers will use. It seems to me that bluetooth is going to be replaced by wifi as the leader there. But do think software people will end up adopting a 4g type of signal actually by that time I would think it will be a 5.5g. Just your thoughts on that??

It is kinda funny when I was a young man I knew everything and then when I hit 40 yrs old I thought I knew alot. Now that I am over 50 yrs old I am as dumb as a box of rocks.
I know a representative for a local vendor that supports my employer. I asked him if he had any kids, and he replied he had a 15-year-old son. I suggested he tell his son to write it all down while he knows it all. It took about 15 minutes for the rep to recover.

Bluetooth vs. WiFi: That's a tough one. Blu-Ray vs. HDDVD was a short battle because neither had legacy equipment. It took a very long time for Betamax to finally yield to VHS, and there were plenty of Betamaxes out there when Sony let fly with the towel. Apple vs. Android is really heating up right about now, and I do believe Android (with the open-source Apps) is overtaking Apple. Apple (read - Steve Jobs) really stepped up when they introduced the iPhone and iPad, but they're making the same mistake Sony made with the Betamax - they are keeping everything to themselves. This new deal where Android is going to be in our car dashes will cement the platform prominently in our future. Without the inspiration of Steve Jobs, I fear the Apple iPad and Iphone will be the "Mac" of the portable world, and just occupy a sliver of the market share in the coming years.

Back to Bluetooth vs. WiFi - Bluetooth lends itself better to simple direct connections between two portable devices, so both protocols may complement each other for years to come.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I've read reviews on many OBDII apps and ELM 327 devices, and I see a pattern:

The biggest two complaints are "It keeps losing connection" and "It won't connect", then a distant third complaint is about the software features. The Bluetooth device itself is clearly the biggest hurdle to achieve the goal of reliable engine monitoring. I read a recent comment about how the OBDII/BT devices are in the $30-or-less price range then there's a huge jump to at least $90. My research has led me to an educated guess that the "bargain" units are clones (there are a ton of them). Consider the ELM 327 chip is at least 20 bucks - and that's without port, the case, the BT adaptor, labeling, mark-up etc... The units that won't listen to anybody below the rank of Benjamin Franklin are typically the real deal.

This may help you verify if the ELM 327 unit you're shopping for is legit or not - the recent versions of ELM 327 [LINK] are 1.3A, 1.4B, and 2.0. I saw a lot of version 1.5 units on the market - those are clearly bogus.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 AM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Subscribing..

Thanks for the info guys..

Old 01-16-2014, 03:17 AM
AIbandit
Senior User
Most of the cheap 20-30$ ones you can get for 7$ directly from china at aliexpress.com (1month shipping)
I ordered one from amazon and it caused a crank no start in my truck and chrysler 300. I decided not to screw around anymore and picked up the PLX Kiwi (90$). I don't know about it's bitrate but it's never had issues for me.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM
bstarz40
Freshman User
OBDlink mx 94.00$ shipped with expedited prosscesing. mp3car.com

Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
For those with deep pockets and the need for uber-technology: [LINK]

Old 01-23-2014, 08:37 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,752 Posts
Can the Android Torque Pros work with a hard wired connection? Is wireless the only way to interface with the Android tablets or phones? Is there a J1850 to micro USB interface?

Quick Reply: OBDII Blues