Sponsored by: Moser

F150 drivers fuel mileage thread 5.0 and ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:00 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by RRRSkinner
Are you saying the ecoboost f150 pulls evenly with a f250 powerstroke?
Nope, but it wasn't far off. I've had 12,000 lbs behind my 2011 F350 and 15,000 lbs behind the '13 F150. The towing experience was close enough that I'd never go back go a Super Duty unless I tow far more than I do now.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:30 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Nope, but it wasn't far off. I've had 12,000 lbs behind my 2011 F350 and 15,000 lbs behind the '13 F150. The towing experience was close enough that I'd never go back go a Super Duty unless I tow far more than I do now.

I am not questioning your integrity. The fact is that the f250 is heavy duty and comparing the two in towing, the f250 wins hands down. My suggestion to heavy haulers is to get the power stroke and for the money most people are spending on EB, they can get the 250 for less. The f150 is Ford's number one seller for over $50k. Truthfully, I just don't get the ecoboost fad anymore than Madonna. Okay, I stopped and thought about the analogy and it goes like this:

When Madonna first came on the scene they had her with unshaven arm pits. I didn't think she was hot then and I still don't see it. When turbos came out in the 70's (about the same time as Madonna) everyone talked about saving gas. The didn't then and they don't now. I am not trading 2 cylinders for two turbos and forcing the other 6 cylinders to work 20% harder to make up the difference and paying more money for the engine.

IT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE TO ME.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:46 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 03-31-2015, 03:14 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Nassty,

I am sorry that you are such a hater and can't respect my opinion or express yours without attacking my opinion. Why is it that you can't just say what you think without finding fault? Is it because your opinion doesn't make a whole lot of sense?

Old 03-31-2015, 04:04 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Actually the F150 is the over $50,000 number one seller in the US. I am happy that it is an American company, producing and American made vehicle that reached this milestone. That still leaves a whooping %75 under $50,000 such as my nicely appointed EcoBoost Lariat 4x4 which cost well under that mark.
The Ford F-150 is America's best-selling $50,000 vehicle | Fox News

Here's an FTE article for you. The F150 has come a long way in the last 10 years.
Yesterday's Super Duty is Today's Light Duty - Ford Trucks

Old 03-31-2015, 04:18 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Nassty,

I am sorry that you are such a hater and can't respect my opinion or express yours without attacking my opinion. Why is it that you can't just say what you think without finding fault? Is it because your opinion doesn't make a whole lot of sense?
You must be putting words in my mouth because I didn't say or type a word.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:44 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I am not questioning your integrity. The fact is that the f250 is heavy duty and comparing the two in towing, the f250 wins hands down. My suggestion to heavy haulers is to get the power stroke and for the money most people are spending on EB, they can get the 250 for less. The f150 is Ford's number one seller for over $50k. Truthfully, I just don't get the ecoboost fad anymore than Madonna. Okay, I stopped and thought about the analogy and it goes like this:

When Madonna first came on the scene they had her with unshaven arm pits. I didn't think she was hot then and I still don't see it. When turbos came out in the 70's (about the same time as Madonna) everyone talked about saving gas. The didn't then and they don't now. I am not trading 2 cylinders for two turbos and forcing the other 6 cylinders to work 20% harder to make up the difference and paying more money for the engine.

IT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE TO ME.
I'll use my words sir. You are wrong with no facts to back up anything that you stated. I will not allow a diesel vs ecoboost discussion here in this forum. You can start another if you prefer and I'll respect that sir.

My ecoboost is the lowest revving hardest pulling engine that I've ever owned. Tom did a fantastic job of documenting his 15000 lb pull with his 2013 F-150. He let the superduty guys drive it and they were as well astonished at how hard it pulled. You can't make 4-5 guys lie about a truck.

Is the EB perfect? Far from it but it's the best value for the money when it comes to work. The 6.2L in the F-150 was what, a $3000 option? The 6.7L is what, an $8500 option?

Sir, if you don't like the ecoboost or a V-6 in a truck then so be it. It's cool that Ford gives us choices so we can all be satisfied.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:41 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'll use my words sir. You are wrong with no facts to back up anything that you stated. I will not allow a diesel vs ecoboost discussion here in this forum. You can start another if you prefer and I'll respect that sir.

My ecoboost is the lowest revving hardest pulling engine that I've ever owned. Tom did a fantastic job of documenting his 15000 lb pull with his 2013 F-150. He let the superduty guys drive it and they were as well astonished at how hard it pulled. You can't make 4-5 guys lie about a truck.

Is the EB perfect? Far from it but it's the best value for the money when it comes to work. The 6.2L in the F-150 was what, a $3000 option? The 6.7L is what, an $8500 option?

Sir, if you don't like the ecoboost or a V-6 in a truck then so be it. It's cool that Ford gives us choices so we can all be satisfied.
I am not trying to be difficult here and it wasn't my intention to upset you. As to starting a comparison between EB and diesels, that was not my intention either. What gets me is all the people who choose ecoboost for towing because the money they spend on bells and whistles might be better spent on a diesel for those who tow at capacity very often.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:54 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I am not trying to be difficult here and it wasn't my intention to upset you. As to starting a comparison between EB and diesels, that was not my intention either. What gets me is all the people who choose ecoboost for towing because the money they spend on bells and whistles might be better spent on a diesel for those who tow at capacity very often.
Sir, I wasn't upset at all. However, an ecoboost equipped truck can be had in the base XL trim for the cost of the engine plus the work truck. My bare bones XLT has an ecoboost and I'm seeing a bunch of people around here with bare bones 4x2 trucks with the ecoboost. It's a very common engine and can be had in any trim just like the 6.7L.

Having said all this, I feel that Ford has over hyped things a bit. It can be a tow monster but in tow monster dress, it won't be as economical as it will be in my truck which is running the 3.31 axles. Ford leads people to believe that they're going to get 20+ out of their ecoboost no matter what. All people have to do is read the Monrony sticker, peel back the layers a bit, and viola, they will realize that advertising is a business too.

The 3.0L diesel in the Dodge looks like it's going to do a very nice job. It's a fuel sipper and brings some capability to the table but, the ecoboost will work circles around the half ton Ram all day but with a higher fuel cost. However, factor in the cost diesel fuel, maintenance and urea and the entry cost of the option and one will soon realize that a whole lot of gallons of gasoline can be bought and at the end of the day, the ecoboost is a gas engine with gas engine maintenance and diesel like attributes.

Sorry for the long wind.

Again sir, not upset. Love your posts and your involvement all over the forums. Keep on posting, we'll agree and we'll disagree. That doesn't make me right or you wrong, only in our opinions.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:26 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Sir, I wasn't upset at all. However, an ecoboost equipped truck can be had in the base XL trim for the cost of the engine plus the work truck. My bare bones XLT has an ecoboost and I'm seeing a bunch of people around here with bare bones 4x2 trucks with the ecoboost. It's a very common engine and can be had in any trim just like the 6.7L.

Having said all this, I feel that Ford has over hyped things a bit. It can be a tow monster but in tow monster dress, it won't be as economical as it will be in my truck which is running the 3.31 axles. Ford leads people to believe that they're going to get 20+ out of their ecoboost no matter what. All people have to do is read the Monrony sticker, peel back the layers a bit, and viola, they will realize that advertising is a business too.

The 3.0L diesel in the Dodge looks like it's going to do a very nice job. It's a fuel sipper and brings some capability to the table but, the ecoboost will work circles around the half ton Ram all day but with a higher fuel cost. However, factor in the cost diesel fuel, maintenance and urea and the entry cost of the option and one will soon realize that a whole lot of gallons of gasoline can be bought and at the end of the day, the ecoboost is a gas engine with gas engine maintenance and diesel like attributes.

Sorry for the long wind.

Again sir, not upset. Love your posts and your involvement all over the forums. Keep on posting, we'll agree and we'll disagree. That doesn't make me right or you wrong, only in our opinions.
I enjoyed reading and considering all of your thoughts. They are fair, considerate and thoughtful. You might agree that I don't really understand all the fuss about mileage (other than government regs) because trucks are work vehicles--not passenger cars. They have a job to do.

I also like what you said about marketing. I am sitting here with the wheels spinning and thought of a bunch of stuff that I have already stated. So I'd just like to thank you for your time.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:28 AM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by NASSTY

I really like the Adams family things. Try not to be a hater.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:28 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, skinner, you back, eh? But not on the other F150 forum I see. Welcome, but...

Sorry, back to subject at hand. Yesterday I was at dealer getting my truck from shop and had some time to talk to service writer. He said about wha' I said earlier. With Ecoboost, you have a choice of good mph or excellent power, just not at the same time. Now, I like that kind of choice!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:06 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
I really like the Adams family things. Try not to be a hater.
Try not trolling...remember it got you a lifetime ban on the other forum?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:38 PM
RRRSkinner
Senior User
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Try not trolling...remember it got you a lifetime ban on the other forum?
Yah! It was for explaining to Joe how to train a dog and some other know-nothing...real fair.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:12 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
putting this thread back on the rails

Quick Reply: F150 drivers fuel mileage thread 5.0 and ecoboost