Remove Cladding? Opinions Please..

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:03 AM
DSN46
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove Cladding? Opinions Please..

Hey Everyone,

Okay, so I thought I had my mind made up about removing the cladding from my limited Ex. It keeps unsticking itself in a few places and I am tired of re-sticking it with 3M tape.

I am hesitant now because all of the rest of it is still stuck on REALLY well...
It is the limited, so it is the same color as the body. No contrast... just plastic sticking out farther than the body. If I take it all off, then the only difference will be that the lines are more "sleek" looking...

I guess my BIG question to you all is, will the "Pueblo Gold" color look good without the cladding hanging off the sides? Has anyone done this and then regretted it? Or will I take it off and say "Wow... that looks better!"??

I KNOW I am asking for subjective feedback, but I'm kinda back on the fence with this decision. I KNOW I should just man-up and make a decision, but this one has me locked up and I don't know why. I've already got the XLT Stone Guards for the back 1/4 panel if I do this.

Thank you for any thoughts on the matter!

James

Old 01-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm in similar situation. Going to install the pocket flares and not sure how it'll look with or without the cladding

The cladding removed makes it look more truck like IMO. So that's the route I'm probably going to follow. My goal is to look 99.5% like a F-250 with bed capper

Old 01-10-2014, 09:52 AM
WarX
Senior User
I dont know but I think it looks better with the clad and it provides a bit of protection, makes it look bigger wider and finished, IMHO if I took mine out I would spray the same pattern with bed liner, thin coat. It comes if desert sand color.

Looks finished with cladding, I am surprised thou that the 3M vehicle double sided tape is coming off, is the area wax free, and did you use a gentle non petroleum based cleaner...and make sure its 3M. ?

One reason I sold my FJ was the bad a** PSD (No not diesel LOL) look, cladding is part of that. I wonder if those we used overseas, armored ones will ever go on auction...

Old 01-10-2014, 10:22 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
As you can see on my truck, I bought it with the cladding missing on the doors.

Now I am waiting for some good weather to get rid of the rest of it. I like the "clean" look and I since I am missing the door panels, I want the Ex to look uniform. Once I get it all done, I will upload a pic or two. I did order the stone guards to cover the holes in the back, so when done, it should have a nice, clean, finished look.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:24 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^I agree with above^ plus it leaves some holes when you remove it. Did you get ALL your money back from the rear end"

I would never take my cladding off, it starts to cheapen it at that point and it gets closer to the "stripped down utility model" look.

(2 above, he posted as I was typing).

Old 01-10-2014, 10:30 AM
WarX
Senior User
its NAKED !!!!!!, a NAKED X.........

Old 01-10-2014, 10:32 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WarX
its NAKED !!!!!!, a NAKED X.........
LOL, not naked, just showing a little leg

Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I removed it on 1 Ex i had and i liked how it looked on that truck, but i would never remove it on my limited.

i vote keep it.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm so back and forth on this... part of me wants it gone but the other half agrees with Alaskan and thinks "It's a Limited, this is what makes it "Limited"."

Old 01-10-2014, 11:27 AM
icentropy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took mine off to put on the cutout fenderflares. Kept it though cause i was thinking of maybe putting it back on. After driving it around this winter, I've decided they're going back on. I like the finished look plus it gives the big massive ol slab of metal some visual texture. certain cars have the curves/lines for the sleek look and IMO are only hurt by two-toned paint jobs and body armor (vettes and H1s come to mind). any color variation only detracts from the lines of the vehicle. On a big billboard like the X well a little breakup isn't a bad thing. In your particular case you have the same color but at least it's breaking up the body lines a bit. I'm gonna paint mine black textured to match the new flares and will eventually paint the steps and front aftermarket bumper to match as well.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:18 PM
DSN46
Elder User
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
I'm so back and forth on this... part of me wants it gone but the other half agrees with Alaskan and thinks "It's a Limited, this is what makes it "Limited"."
EXACTLY!!
But here's the deal.... the Ex already has the "lines" built in to the body itself (look at David's photo above) on the doors and over the fenders... The original owner paid the premium for the "limited" package... but I did not.... so I didn't pay for the cladding to make it a limited..... but then again, IF I ever sell it, then someone might be looking for the cladding.... but on the other hand, I could have given two hoots about cladding or not when I bought it!!! .....

Baaack and forth.... baaaack and forth....

Thanks for the big pic David

Thank you all for your input thus far.

James

Old 01-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I removed it on 1 Ex i had and i liked how it looked on that truck, but i would never remove it on my limited.

i vote keep it.
I vote keep it as well...

On the left rear quarter panel, it sitcks out. It bothered me for the longest, but I got over it and just let it be until I figure something out.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Keep it on.
It protects the lower door metal from rock damage thrown up by tires..

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-10-2014, 08:20 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DSN46
EXACTLY!!
But here's the deal.... the Ex already has the "lines" built in to the body itself (look at David's photo above) on the doors and over the fenders... The original owner paid the premium for the "limited" package... but I did not.... so I didn't pay for the cladding to make it a limited..... but then again, IF I ever sell it, then someone might be looking for the cladding.... but on the other hand, I could have given two hoots about cladding or not when I bought it!!! .....

Baaack and forth.... baaaack and forth....

Thanks for the big pic David

Thank you all for your input thus far.

James
It sounds like you are trying to justify it. The Ex lines without it are like one of those extended church vans...........lol

Old 01-10-2014, 08:23 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EXv10
The Ex lines without it are like one of those extended church vans.
Hey now, my Ex resembles... resents that comment.

Quick Reply: Remove Cladding? Opinions Please..