1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Put my dually back to single wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
What criteria does this "certified" garage need to have... In Maine we just have state police look at truck for safety and it's done.
A Pennsylvania TRUCK MODIFICATION garage. Aka a TRUCK shop(over 17,000lbs) that installs and modifies truck chassis'. Like a place that would install a lift axle on a new truck. There are a few around here. But NONE of them will certify that the work has been done, unless they do it. I can drop the truck off, they will fill out the necessary paper work SAYING they installed the axle and CHARGE me $1500 for the axle install. And the truck will never move from where I parked it. I don't think so

Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man it's a shame you have to go to SRW with that truck, considering how much work you have into it, and it's hands down the best looking dually I've seen.
But I completely understand why your changing it back.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:09 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's rediculous.
Either I need to make friends with a truck garage, or figure out how to get my shop certified to do this work. It seems like they are trying to scam you for sure. I hate garages like that.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:25 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Obviously, it is a scam. They don't touch it and then certified it for $1,500? They should be busted!!

Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Even if they did touch it, the 4 u bolts would be unbolted, driveshaft undone and brake lines removed, then everything bolted back up again

AT least with the big truck stuff, each axle has rating. Pickups don't have such ID features.

And if I dropped it off to get certified, there is no guarantee that it would up the GVW. Most of the places I called wanted truck Vin numbers from the trucks that the axles and springs came from. I don't have access to any of that. Especially since the springs are NEW

Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brad - are you sure you can't adjust the GVW? I did my PA title transfers for my two PSDs at little mom-and-pop title places (one is Norristown, one in Exton) and both times, they asked me what I wanted the GVW rating to be. I didn't know it was an options and I asked them why I'd want to change it - as this was my first PA truck registration and they informed me that the registration fee is based on the GVW in PA. ...so, if I wanted to pay less and wasn't going to haul, I could drop the rating.

however, it occurs to me that maybe yours is a commercial registration and maybe its different, then?

whatever, the case, I can't hurt to call a few "Auto Tag" places and inquire.

...though, that won't help the truck fit into your garage any better :-)

Old 01-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Gettysburg150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sent you a PM about the axle, I would like to upgrade to a limited slip, and mine could use a rebuild anyway

Old 01-09-2014, 11:56 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
If it would help at all Brad, PM me for my VIN.

I never pay any attention to GVW, I just haul what I want to. I realize if in an accident I could get hung big time. As far as 5th wheels go, I know a lot of them haul 40 footers and they have to be way over.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Gettysburg150
I sent you a PM about the axle, I would like to upgrade to a limited slip, and mine could use a rebuild anyway
You have a cab and chassis, not a pickup so it would do you no good, besides, I do NOT want to separate

Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
brad - are you sure you can't adjust the GVW? I did my PA title transfers for my two PSDs at little mom-and-pop title places (one is Norristown, one in Exton) and both times, they asked me what I wanted the GVW rating to be. I didn't know it was an options and I asked them why I'd want to change it - as this was my first PA truck registration and they informed me that the registration fee is based on the GVW in PA. ...so, if I wanted to pay less and wasn't going to haul, I could drop the rating.

however, it occurs to me that maybe yours is a commercial registration and maybe its different, then?

whatever, the case, I can't hurt to call a few "Auto Tag" places and inquire.

...though, that won't help the truck fit into your garage any better :-)

No commercial here.

When I bough my truck from NJ it had a 5000gvw. I upped it to 20,000 which is class 7, $355 a year by filling out a MV-41 form. Someone at PENDOT was obviously NOT paying attention, and it went thru.

This past year I kew I was over weight most times when I towed, so I wanted to raise it to a class 8 and 24,000lbs. Again I filled out a MV-41 form and sent it in with my title. Harrisburg kicked it back saying without proper "certification" they cannot do that. So I said screw it and put it back to 20,000. NOPE they said it can't be done, the truck only has a 8,800lb GVW

SO what I ended up going was 8,800lb gvw and a 26,000 GCVW, $405 a year

but any time I tow, the truck is over weight

Old 01-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
If it would help at all Brad, PM me for my VIN.

I never pay any attention to GVW, I just haul what I want to. I realize if in an accident I could get hung big time. As far as 5th wheels go, I know a lot of them haul 40 footers and they have to be way over.
If it was only that easy. Apparently they investigate the Vin and the truck can no longer be registered in any state(I already thought of that)

Old 01-09-2014, 03:27 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Hmmmm
Go to scrap yard and pull vin from a f-super duty and say you used the axle and springs from that, then find an f350 superduty for the front springs and axle....
They are in scrap yard, and unless you ask or get the vin yourself, the parts suppliers don't give out the vin for anyone to correctly repair their damaged vehicle.
In Maine I have had to prove new parts and provide vin for used parts I've put on a wrecked vehicle before the state would sign off it was roadworthy. It's their feeble way of trying to track stolen vehicles and which trucks are used for parts.

Sucks that they bumped you all the back to 8800 when they denied you for 24k. I'm sure you were freakin pissed.

I wish my f800 marmon Herrington had lockout hubs on front. I'd tow with that more often...legally. It's a cool rig to pull into someplace and have the biggest baddest 4x4 truck. It just don't cruise well.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:27 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Hmmmm
Go to scrap yard and pull vin from a f-super duty and say you used the axle and springs from that, then find an f350 superduty for the front springs and axle....
They are in scrap yard, and unless you ask or get the vin yourself, the parts suppliers don't give out the vin for anyone to correctly repair their damaged vehicle.
In Maine I have had to prove new parts and provide vin for used parts I've put on a wrecked vehicle before the state would sign off it was roadworthy. It's their feeble way of trying to track stolen vehicles and which trucks are used for parts.

Sucks that they bumped you all the back to 8800 when they denied you for 24k. I'm sure you were freakin pissed.

I wish my f800 marmon Herrington had lockout hubs on front. I'd tow with that more often...legally. It's a cool rig to pull into someplace and have the biggest baddest 4x4 truck. It just don't cruise well.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
All your suggestions are great but the shop would STILL have to certify that the work was done. And there is NO GUARANTEE. I am not willing to gamble $1500

But that still only solves one of the 3 "issues"

Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 PM
joshh
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
just curious what all have u changed on your truck my stock f250 cc sb 4x4 pretty much stock with approx 20 gallons of fuel on local dmv scales weighed 6780 without me ?
does the dual wheel stuff weigh that much ?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:21 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Originally Posted by joshh
just curious what all have u changed on your truck my stock f250 cc sb 4x4 pretty much stock with approx 20 gallons of fuel on local dmv scales weighed 6780 without me ?
does the dual wheel stuff weigh that much ?
Add IC, pipes, brackets, RSK, SD springs, dually stuff, headache rack, extra frame material, huge tires, plus probably more. It's a good bit of weight.

Quick Reply: Put my dually back to single wheel?