Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking bleeder screw?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:56 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking bleeder screw?

Ok, so I feel dumb I can't figure this out but I have no idea why this is happening.
Installed new caliper, pads, master cylinder, bled the brakes and was about to take it out for a road test and I noticed the bleeder screw on the new caliper is leaking. At first I thought it was leaking from the threads but I had my wife apply the brakes and it is leaking out of the "bleeder orifice" regardless of the position of the bleeder screw....no matter how tight or loose I have it.
Would like to get this done so I can bleed the rears and start using this thing!
Thank you for any help!

Old 12-21-2013, 09:58 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I understand it's a new a caliper, but it's possible something is stuck inside the bore and preventing the screw from seating completely. I'd start by simply removing the screw completely and checking for obstructions in the bore and on the screw. Make sure to use a flashlight and look directly into the bore- it could be something easily missed otherwise.

If there's no obstruction, it could just be a faulty bleeder screw and you need to replace it.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:16 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Also, I had same problem when I replaced the calipers in my 300 several years ago. Went through 2 sets of calipers before getting it right. They were reman, not new, so I know what ya mean by them leaking

Old 12-22-2013, 09:00 AM
FX4-350
Senior User
Originally Posted by DBGrif91
I understand it's a new a caliper, but it's possible something is stuck inside the bore and preventing the screw from seating completely. I'd start by simply removing the screw completely and checking for obstructions in the bore and on the screw. Make sure to use a flashlight and look directly into the bore- it could be something easily missed otherwise.

If there's no obstruction, it could just be a faulty bleeder screw and you need to replace it.
Ok, Ill do that. I didn't remove it all the way and look because I just ASSumed the screw was going in as far as it should (I tightened it as tight as I felt comfortable). I had thought about getting an assortment of bleeder screws from the local auto parts stores...they are cheap enough.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:04 AM
FX4-350
Senior User
Originally Posted by timbersteel
Also, I had same problem when I replaced the calipers in my 300 several years ago. Went through 2 sets of calipers before getting it right. They were reman, not new, so I know what ya mean by them leaking
So it was something wrong with the reman calipers? They are cheap but, I just got the tires back on and off the jack stands!! What a pain in the butt! Can't they sell us quality products??

Old 12-22-2013, 11:22 AM
broncoderek
Elder User
I went through three new calipers for my Protege5. You know what it's like to change a rear caliper three times in the cold over three weeks? Plus having to keep topping off the MC every two days and having brake fluid puddles everywhere you park?!?

Old 12-22-2013, 01:57 PM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
to me, theres nothing more discouraging than having a part fail, right out of the box. on the other hand, better it should fail right away, than 100 miles from anywhere.

i say take that JUNK off your truck, return it, and get better quality.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:44 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
Originally Posted by broncoderek
I went through three new calipers for my Protege5. You know what it's like to change a rear caliper three times in the cold over three weeks? Plus having to keep topping off the MC every two days and having brake fluid puddles everywhere you park?!?
Oh my goodness, yes I know how bad that sucks! I mean, not changing calipers but I am a flightline guy in the Air Force and I know what it's like to do stuff like that over and over and over out in the wet and cold.
I THOUGHT I had fixed it. I removed the bleeder screw, set it aside, didn't see any obstructions in the way. backed out the bolt holding the brake line in, reinstalled bleeder screw and then tightened the brake line bolt. It definitely slowed it down BUT....it still comes out in spurts, inconsistently....not sure about that. Anyways....

Old 12-22-2013, 07:46 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
Originally Posted by joey2fords
to me, theres nothing more discouraging than having a part fail, right out of the box. on the other hand, better it should fail right away, than 100 miles from anywhere.

i say take that JUNK off your truck, return it, and get better quality.
I am VERY close to just saying forget it and returning this. It is very aggravating to know that there is such a high failure rate with out-of-the-box products...especially ones that could kill you if you are driving with any speed....

Old 12-22-2013, 08:08 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Over the past 35+ years I've replace countless calipers/wheel cylinders, no way to even hazard a guess as to how many exactly, and from who could say for sure how many different suppliers/re-builders and I've never had a bleeder leak on one yet.

If I did first thing I'd do is yea inspect the bleeders seat, doubt be any problem in it but I'd look make sure its clear of crap and formed right yet (Make sure some bonehead didn't bury a drill bit down the hole trying to remove a snapped off bleeder the re-builder might have missed). Satisfied that's good I'd run down get another bleeder a minute try it. If it's seat is good the bleeder must be deformed allowing fluid to pass. Bleeder for example might simply be wrong angle or reach or both for the seat or fit to loosely of thread to snug up like it should.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:23 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
Ok, so I might have done something wrong....I may be a washer shy on the brake line.
So, the "block" on the brake line that the bolt goes through....the old caliper had a washer between it and the caliper surface and another between it and the bolt head.
The new caliper came with one washer so I stuck it under the bolt head, the traditional location....should I have another washer between that block and the caliper surface?
I am thinking that this bolt is in too far and is interfering with the bleeder screw? Does that make sense?
Sorry I haven't messed with calipers all that much other than R&R's on different vehicles over the years Ive never gotten into depth on them so THANK YOU!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes there is generally a copper washer between the block and caliper... It crushes down and creates a seal to prevent a leak

Old 12-23-2013, 11:23 PM
joey2fords
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Island'r
Yes there is generally a copper washer between the block and caliper... It crushes down and creates a seal to prevent a leak
x 2 ... you need both washers in there.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:05 AM
FX4-350
Senior User
Ok, thanks guys, going out here in a few minutes to put BOTH washers on it and see if that does the trick. I feel bad for bashing the product now...may have been operator error!

Old 12-24-2013, 01:33 PM
FX4-350
Senior User
Ok so it don't leak when it's not running. However is a solid stream out of the bleed orifice when engine is running and brake pedal is depressed

Quick Reply: Leaking bleeder screw?