OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Pizza delivery required vehicles:
'90s - old Chevette
'00s - old CRX
'10s - old Sentra, evidently
I like that! in the 20's it'll be old prius's doing the deliveries. or those stupid scion cubes...

We're on a residential street with not many driveways, and a LOT of street parking. During snow emergencies, parking is allowed on only one side, alternating days, so they can plow to (or close to) the curb on the other side. They still plow both directions, though, so the cars parked on the legal side get a nice ridge to climb out of. College kids / townies usu. have some little zit-car with no ground clearance though. One blizzard last winter we got the option to work from home. I ended up playing hooky and going out a snatching a few little Hondas and what-nots out from their curbside burials.

Only reason I shovel our driveway apron is because it's shared with the neighbors, who are shut-ins, so their caretakers can get in/out
when I lived in Philly, it was the same story - though there was not attempt to clear the whole street. the plow truck just drove right down the middle and made a 2-3 ft ridge of snow blocking every car on the block in. the suckers with their tiny foreign cars would spend forever digging their cars out, only to have the space taken by the next person needing a spot on the street. I had an explorer sport back then. I wouldn't use a shovel at all, but would just throw it in 4x4-low, climb up and out of the spot to leave, then pull right back in when I got home since no one could steal the spot. and for what its worth, that vehicle had the best turning radius/parallel parking ability of any vehicle I've ever driven.

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
I have a road a block away from me in town that doesn't get plowed in the winter. It's not a matter of if, but when, some teenager is knocking on my door to come and pull them out. I hop in my 76 and go get it done. Last year some kid tried to go down the road with his car. Then they got a pickup stuck trying to pull him out. So I had to pull them both out.

Bad thing is I was pretty much that stupid when I was a teenager too...
stupidity is a right of passage! so is reckless driving in the snow (intentional or not) - though I never grew out of that one. like Bill, I had the truck sideways in the snow the other day a few times - on purpose. you have to be in practice getting it straightened out again for when you really need that skill!

Originally Posted by Leemakesmepee
I just finished up my frist semester at WVU and lot of kids that go there are from the lower states that dont get that much snow, so they dont have the understanding of small car plus lots of snow means you get stuck. so ive pulled out prolly 8 people since ive been at school.
I had a good friend in college from Venezuela who bought himself an old Camaro around Thanksgiving his first year here. first time it snowed he went right through a T-intersection into a tree. didn't get hurt, but totaled the car and to this day claims it wasn't his fault. he bought a 4x4 Escape the next day and promptly drove that one off the road as well - he just didn't hit anything and was able to drive back out of the ditch. he then finally let me take him out to a parking lot and teach him how to drive in the snow. good times.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:22 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Leemakesmepee
I just finished up my frist semester at WVU and lot of kids that go there are from the lower states that dont get that much snow, so they dont have the understanding of small car plus lots of snow means you get stuck. so ive pulled out prolly 8 people since ive been at school.
Too bad you can't get some kind of work-study credit for that....

Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
I like that! in the 20's it'll be old prius's doing the deliveries....
"Hi; I, uh, want to complain. Yeah, your delivery guy just dropped off the pizza I ordered, and, uh, when I bit into the first slice I got a huge electric shock...."

Old 12-19-2013, 02:30 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
"Hi; I, uh, want to complain. Yeah, your delivery guy just dropped off the pizza I ordered, and, uh, when I bit into the first slice I got a huge electric shock...."
or they'll put the pizzas in the car uncooked and let the 20 year old, ready-to-catch-fire batteries cook it on the way to your door!

Old 12-19-2013, 04:27 PM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
I don't pull people out at all anymore.

Years back on a very snowy Easter, there was a car tail up in the ditch. I stopped and the guy begged me to help him. He was from Erie (about 1.5 hrs away) and needed to get home for Easter. I explained I won't be responsible for hooking onto his car, he said no problem he'd do it. Reluctantly, I hooked the strap to my truck, gave him the other end and I got in the truck.
"Go ahead", he waved me on.
I yanked very slowly as if the car wasn't even behind me. Once it was back on the street I got out to unhook the strap and the rear axle was darn near pulled out from under the car. Yup, the strap was hooked to the wheel area.
So now this guy is far from home and needs a tow truck to come haul his butt home....on Easter.
I grabbed the strap and got out of there fast as I could.

I don't ****** people out after that, period....

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 12-19-2013, 07:47 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
I hear ya. I was thinking the same thing. I mean, that sentra was worth $500 max, but dealing with a whiney pizza guy when I ripped the front of his car off was not something I was looking forward to. There was a factory tow point up under the bumper and the driveway was so slick I figured the chances of damage were minimal - but not zero... Not a habit I'd like to get into though. Sure does make you feel like a man to drag another car like a toy like that though :-)

Old 12-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Leemakesmepee
Elder User
Too bad you can't get some kind of work-study credit for that....

All my friends always asked why do you drive a truck and diesel too. youre dumb. yeah youre dumb for driving your car in the snow deeper than the tires...