6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

How to delete traction control?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 04:59 PM
VQ2Fast4U
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to delete traction control?

I have searched high and low on the web for how to completely turn it off, I got nothing so far. I cant do it with my H&S, I have access to ford IDS which is also unable to turn it off. The only thing I have found to work is unplugging a wheel speed sensor, which sets off dash lights... Im thinking of finding a body control module without advancetrac. Anybody figured this out?

Old 12-17-2013, 05:33 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Holding the button down for 10s turns it off, but I am guessing you are wanting a more permanent solution. Even the XL spec come with traction/stability control, so I don't think you will find a BCM that will work with a 6.7 that doesn't have AdvanceTrac.

My only suggestion is to pull the ABS fuse, but that will throw a light.

As for doing it with the H&S, the H&S has the capability to do it - just its not in H&S's programming, you should be able to through their MCC. I know SPE diesel offer the ability to have the e-lock engaged above 20mph with one of their tunes that works on H&S devices, so I would inquire with them if they can also disable the TCS properly.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:57 PM
VQ2Fast4U
Senior User
Holding the TC button down does not turn it off completely, it only makes it less intrusive. H&S MCC does not have the capabilities for the 6.7 to turn it off, or to disable the DTC that gets set when removing any fuse related to abs. Can someone post a screen shot of where the traction control options are in MCC...?

Old 12-17-2013, 05:58 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,069 Likes on 2,217 Posts
SPE diff lock above 20mph is via electronic spoofing, not programming. However, I am pretty sure guys turn off Advance Trac via MCC, so Adrian's advice to look into that is a great idea. I'd call H&S and ask them...

Edit...you seem to have asked and found your answer (not the one that helps). I have no other ideas. I don't use MCC. Try the H&S forums???

Old 12-17-2013, 07:39 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
I am pretty sure the MCC can do it... (H&S said it could do it with the 6.4...) I don't know how, as I haven't done anything with MCC, perhaps contact H&S, or inquire on their forums.

I'd be interested in what you find out.

If you want to delete an ABS DTC, you will need an scan tool capable of doing just that - a Minimaxx will only do the standard OBDII codes, airbag and abs codes intentionally are different from manufacturer to manufacturer (and often from year to year).
It will throw the code again as soon as it has cleared of course (unless you re-fit the fuse) however...

Old 12-17-2013, 08:03 PM
VQ2Fast4U
Senior User
On the 6.4 MCC there is a traction control option to mess with but there isnt one on the 6.7 MCC. The threads on the H&S forum about traction control dont have any answers either. I guess I will call H&S tomorrow, I'll post any info I find.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:38 AM
badass6.7rollcoal
New User
I have a theory you can buy a control valve and modulator valve w/o traction control and with trailer sway control if you replace the factory you can have no TCS full time bit won't be able to switch it on I have no idea what may happen if you do this so feel free to tell me if it won't work since I will be attempting this in the near future

Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 AM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
I would like to know as well, I don't have the MCC but may just buy it for that reason alone.

I know when you engage 4WD it does indeed turn OFF, not like the button on the dash that re-engages at 35 mph I think. If I could get my hands on schematics and program I could find which wire they are using to do such action, then create a relay to take away or induce the correct voltage. But .... they probably have it as a redundant circuit, probably looking to see if the 4WD switch is also engaged, then I would have to cut into that circuit as well with another relay. It may just wind up being a 5 or 6 step process and not worth it in the long run.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Gotsmoke12
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
[/QUOTE] I know when you engage 4WD it does indeed turn OFF, not like the button on the dash that re-engages at 35 mph I think. [/QUOTE]

Traction control is not disabled in 4wd, I have been stuck several times because of this very irritating flaw!! I guess I understand if 4wd is being used on road, say in the winter, that one could argue the usefulness, but it seems to me that if I need 4x4 the tires will probably be spinning..... Now I know your probably going to say I could just reach over a push the little button, but I forget and then it's too late!!! LOL

Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
It is disabled in Low Range only I believe.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:43 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BigF350
It is disabled in Low Range only I believe.
The other day when I was in 4Lo, the truck disabled the AdvanceTrac, but not the TCS, Adrian. I'll check again at lunch, as I'm curious now too.

I'd also love to be able to disable the TCS, would there be any way to maybe re-work the dash switch, so it's opposite of whatever it's intended setting is? That way the TCS is off at start-up, and if you ever found yourself needing it, you could reach over and turn it on?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not being a smart a$$ here, but what would be the need to completely eliminate TCS?
I know on the 2011 F150 that I just traded, holding the TCS button until the icon flashed would defeat the TCS, it was minimally intrusive enough that you would "swap ends" on dry pavement if you weren't careful, and couldn't get off the line very fast because you were melting the tires!!

Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
The other day when I was in 4Lo, the truck disabled the AdvanceTrac, but not the TCS, Adrian. I'll check again at lunch, as I'm curious now too.
You are right, sorry, got AdvanceTrac and TCS mixed up.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:03 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Okay, glad the TCS ??? got answered, I know in my 2011 I go off road enough to know I can have it pinned to the floor and going about 5 mph.

One reason is for mud, one is for truck sled pulling and definitely for snow. I wish I had a video of me hitting a washout in a field, the snow completely flew over the truck and I was in about 5 foot deep snow (I'm being conservative, my uncle thought it was deeper than the truck). I'm tuned and deleted and I had it to the floor, and I was still slowing down, I was thinking in a flash of fear ..... "the tow bill for this will be about $500". It powered through with enough tire speed and momentum and we made it out.

As for no traction control in 2wd, mostly for me, it's for fun (that reads boiling dollar bills on the pavement). But a lot of time in dirt/light mud just playing around would be okay. Sometimes though, you just need to spin to get going or get out.

Hey Rig Trash, are you from Hattiesburg? I enrolled at USM in 81 but backed out to chase the oil boom in Texas for 5 years. I lived down in Bay St. Louis.
One of my best friends was the drum major and eventually became director of the music and bands at USM, he retired about 5-7 years back I think.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:13 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
Okay, glad the TCS ??? got answered, I know in my 2011 I go off road enough to know I can have it pinned to the floor and going about 5 mph.

One reason is for mud, one is for truck sled pulling and definitely for snow. I wish I had a video of me hitting a washout in a field, the snow completely flew over the truck and I was in about 5 foot deep snow (I'm being conservative, my uncle thought it was deeper than the truck). I'm tuned and deleted and I had it to the floor, and I was still slowing down, I was thinking in a flash of fear ..... "the tow bill for this will be about $500". It powered through with enough tire speed and momentum and we made it out.

As for no traction control in 2wd, mostly for me, it's for fun (that reads boiling dollar bills on the pavement). But a lot of time in dirt/light mud just playing around would be okay. Sometimes though, you just need to spin to get going or get out.

Hey Rig Trash, are you from Hattiesburg? I enrolled at USM in 81 but backed out to chase the oil boom in Texas for 5 years. I lived down in Bay St. Louis.
One of my best friends was the drum major and eventually became director of the music and bands at USM, he retired about 5-7 years back I think.
Yes sir, lived in the area most of my life(when I wasn't in the service). Born and raised in Morgantown Ms. Just up the road, we purchased a house here in Hattiesburg in 2012, was living in Picayune prior to that, about 20 miles from Bay St. Louis.
As far as the TCS, I haven't tried on the New truck, but the 2011 seemed to be completely off if you held the TCS button, I guess it must be a different system between the half ton and SD trucks. You would think they would design something you could defeat, but.....so far, on my new SD, I haven't had a situation that I needed to turn it off, of course the truck only has 1,200 miles on it.

Quick Reply: How to delete traction control?