2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

3rd party flip key + power liftgate

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 01:55 PM
TheyCallMeBT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd party flip key + power liftgate

Hi all. First post here. I just bought a 2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer yesterday. I had already bought a flip key off of Ebay. The Ford dealership couldn't physically fit it in their cutting machine. And they STRONGLY recommended not programming it myself, or else I'd "almost definitely mess up the entire car's computer system". lol. Any way, Ace Hardware cut it for free, and I followed Ford's directions, and programmed the buttons and the key in a few minutes.

Here's a picture.

Unfortunately, the button that I hoped would operate the power liftgate just unlatches the back glass. I was curious if anyone could think of any solution to this. If there's a similar flip style key that would operate it. Or even if it was possible to reprogram the circuit board to send out the correct command for the power liftgate. I doubt I'll ever want to pop the glass, but I'll be using the power liftgate very, very frequently. Thanks!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:51 AM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to know this up front. I have a flip key on the way that I just purchased off ebay.

It will be the 3rd key, and I will program it myself. I'll let you know in a week or so my results.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:24 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBT
Hi all. First post here. I just bought a 2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer yesterday. I had already bought a flip key off of Ebay. The Ford dealership couldn't physically fit it in their cutting machine. And they STRONGLY recommended not programming it myself, or else I'd "almost definitely mess up the entire car's computer system". lol. Any way, Ace Hardware cut it for free, and I followed Ford's directions, and programmed the buttons and the key in a few minutes.

Here's a picture.

Unfortunately, the button that I hoped would operate the power liftgate just unlatches the back glass. I was curious if anyone could think of any solution to this. If there's a similar flip style key that would operate it. Or even if it was possible to reprogram the circuit board to send out the correct command for the power liftgate. I doubt I'll ever want to pop the glass, but I'll be using the power liftgate very, very frequently. Thanks!
Can you post a link to a similar key?

Old 12-17-2013, 09:39 PM
TheyCallMeBT
New User
wallz-- Yeah, I'd like to hear. I found out that the reason Ace is able to do it when others can't is that they do it all by hand. They line up the keys and cut it manually to match. So there's obviously a chance that they will mess up, but I've had them do two house keys and that flip key, and all work great. And know that it's easy to take the key apart if they were to mess up. Btw, the range on the keyfob is much larger than the OEM one. Which is good, but worth knowing so that you don't accidentally unlock it or something.

berry-- Yeah. If you just search "Ford Expedition flip key" on ebay, you'll get a lot of results. There's the style that I have. It's available with and without the button that pops the glass. On other model vehicles, it would operate the power liftgate (like the Edge) or the trunk on sedans/ coupes. I think that the style that I bought looks best, and is the most practical. Take a look at the other ones, too.

The seller I bought from was in the US, but they have stopped selling anything on ebay since then. There's a lot out of China. And it's all the exact same product, so that doesn't make a difference. But I'd rather pay a little more for the US based sellers so that it won't take 2 - 3 weeks, and so that it'll be easier if I have any problems.

ford expedition flip key | eBay

The keys do include the PATS chip in them. You have to program the wireless key fob, and then separately the key itself so that it will crank the engine. If you don't program the key, it'll unlock the door (as in, put the key in the door and turn it), but if you tried to crank the engine, the alarm would go off.

The programming directions are straightforward. Let me know if you want me to post them.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:00 AM
wallz
Postmaster
The whole reason I was looking for a different remote was too hopefully also have the factory remote start intergrated into 1 key fob. I know this one doesn't, but I figured I should have a 3rd key just in case of 1 lost one. Way cheaper to have the 2nd key for programming then getting FORD to do it.

My other thought was, have you tried to hit the tail gate button 2 times as the standard key remote is?

Old 12-22-2013, 12:28 PM
TheyCallMeBT
New User
Yeah, I tried hitting it twice. With this remote, you have to wait a fraction of a second longer versus the OEM remotes to hit a button for the second time. Otherwise, it won't register the keypress. So yeah, the button on there definitely only works for the glass.

While it would be very convenient to be able to open the liftgate with the remote, the convenience and coolness factor of the flip key trumps that.

I did take both remotes apart to see how they worked. There's definitely no way I could get the circuit board of the OEM fob into the flip key. I am kind of wondering what it would take to reprogram the chip on the circuit board to send out that signal instead. But I really have no idea how to interface onto that board. It's probably not even possible to reprogram. I'm thinking the chips are probably one write only, then ROM. It's still fun to think about.

Maybe something new will come out that work with it. Do most of the new CUVs only have liftgate articulation, and the glass doesn't pop open? That's how I think the Edge was (I was looking at it first).

So the remote start fob doesn't include liftgate either?

Old 12-22-2013, 02:42 PM
wallz
Postmaster
The "factory" remote start is an add on that the ford dealer has relabeled with ford logo. It has it's own remote, be it smaller, but still a remote fob. We have the keys with the buttons for lock, unlock built into the key.
These buttons are small, and when you have gloves on in the winter they are hard to get at properly.

Hopefully the key will be in next week and we can update with how the new key fob works.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:01 PM
TheyCallMeBT
New User
Ah, ok. Did you order the same flip key as I have? If so, I'd say that I think you won't have trouble using it with gloves on.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Yes, I have the same flip key as you got.

I was finally to get my new flip key cut. I received it just before Christmas, but all the locksmiths were closed until today.

Went and programmed the pats key as per instructions. Key starts vehicle perfectly, but none of the buttons work.
Did a quick search and found the key fob programming instructions. Completed that with the key in ignition, hit a button on working key, hit the buttons on the new flip key. Exit programming mode.

The new flip key works awsome. lock, unlock and lift gate opens up.

You might want to reprogram your flip key using the linked instructions and hopefully that works for you.
Instructions and Videos on programming Ford PATS Keys | fullerisford.com

Old 12-30-2013, 08:39 PM
TheyCallMeBT
New User
Whoa, it opens the liftgate?? Awesome! I will look at that link.

Edit: Yeah, that's the same way that I programmed mine. On the first keypress of the middle button, it unlatches the glass. So yours doesn't do that?

When programming, did you hit the lock button on the flip key, or something else? Or all of the buttons?

Would you mind posting the link to the ebay listing that you bought from? I'm wondering if there are differences in model numbers or something. I'm in contact with one ebay seller, who has asked me what the model number for my keyfob is. And it could simply come down to the difference in that yours is an 11 and mine is an 08. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2013, 10:03 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Whoa, it opens the liftgate?? Awesome! I will look at that link.

Edit: Yeah, that's the same way that I programmed mine. On the first keypress of the middle button, it unlatches the glass. So yours doesn't do that?
Nope, unlatches the lift gate. I don't really have the option of the lift glass tho. I think that is the difference.

When programming, did you hit the lock button, or something else?

Might want try and re program your fob. Get into program mode, hit lock on old fob, hit lock on new fob, hit unlock on old fob, hit unlock on new fob, hit lift gate button on old fob, hit button on new fob. You might just get lucky.

Would you mind posting the link to the ebay listing that you bought from? I'm wondering if there are differences in model numbers or something. I'm in contact with one ebay seller, who has asked me what the model number for my keyfob is. And it could simply come down to the difference in that yours is an 11 and mine is an 08. Thanks!
Here is the seller I bought mine from.
NEW Unique Ford Lincoln Switchblade Flip KEY Remote Combo Keyless Entry KEY | eBay

This is the key fob that the vehicle came with.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNCUT-FORD-KEY-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-HEAD-TRANSMITTER-FOB-REPLACEMENT-4-BUT-/121160453325?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c35b9cccd
I think that is the main difference is my fob came with the key and I didn't have the lift gate option. Might want to try and re program as outlined above and hopefully that works. If not, I don't think you will have that option, but here is to hoping.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:06 PM
TheyCallMeBT
New User
Wait, do you have the ability to pop the glass on the back, as well as open/ close the liftgate?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Wait, do you have the ability to pop the glass on the back, as well as open/ close the liftgate?
Nope,

Never had that option with the original key fob that came with the vehicle either.

Just have the lift gate option, as original keys do.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 PM
TheyCallMeBT
New User
Ah, ok. I think that solves it. So your original key operated the liftgate, and not the glass.

Are you able to pop the glass even with a button on the back of the vehicle?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
The button above the license plate is still there on vehicles with the remote controlled lift gate.

Quick Reply: 3rd party flip key + power liftgate