6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Where is my coolant going?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 07:50 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,440 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Glad you found the problem. Glad I never towing heavy other than stock power as well.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:27 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Hi, thanks for the info. it is a blown HG. Tech says everything else is in good shape. At 75,000 miles I don't think I need everything they offer. But the EGR coolers will be blocked off and I want the ARP head studs. Problem is they are about to close for the rest of the year and I need the truck before jan 6. So we are having to make some compromises. The only explanation i can come up with for the issue is I had the H&S on what they now call a "tow" tune just seeing how it worked and forgot to change back to "stock" before going over mount eagle in TN. I'm not 100% on that but I just sort of remember trying out the tow tune. Expensive little brain cramp.
Yea thats that I thought, was hoping not but the gauge set up just does not lie. Was the truck used when you bought it? Mine was with only 60k and it had blown headgaskets when I got it, unknown to me. Might of had the problem before the tuner but the extra boost revealed it like mine did. Just wondering what they said needed to replaced? You have to change all the fuel lines at the injectors and from the HPFP to heads. It's a must.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:52 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 9228.bobcat
Yea thats that I thought, was hoping not but the gauge set up just does not lie. Was the truck used when you bought it? Mine was with only 60k and it had blown headgaskets when I got it, unknown to me. Might of had the problem before the tuner but the extra boost revealed it like mine did. Just wondering what they said needed to replaced? You have to change all the fuel lines at the injectors and from the HPFP to heads. It's a must.
Yep, once I did the pressure test then saw Bill hewitt do it on You Tube i knew it was time to surrender. They didn't mention the fuel lines but these guys kno their stuff. if you're not familiar just google "powerstroke help". They are not cheap but they are thorough.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:00 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Yep, once I did the pressure test then saw Bill hewitt do it on You Tube i knew it was time to surrender. They didn't mention the fuel lines but these guys kno their stuff. if you're not familiar just google "powerstroke help". They are not cheap but they are thorough.
Well thats good they know their stuff. Hope all works out for you.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:08 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, thanks for the info. it is a blown HG. Tech says everything else is in good shape. At 75,000 miles I don't think I need everything they offer. But the EGR coolers will be blocked off and I want the ARP head studs. Problem is they are about to close for the rest of the year and I need the truck before jan 6. So we are having to make some compromises. The only explanation i can come up with for the issue is I had the H&S on what they now call a "tow" tune just seeing how it worked and forgot to change back to "stock" before going over mount eagle in TN. I'm not 100% on that but I just sort of remember trying out the tow tune. Expensive little brain cramp.
Sorry to hear you it was the HG, but the gauge sort of told the story. I personally find it hard to believe the tune did it, I've read countless situations where people were towing tuned, big HP tunes without issues stock. I guess it really doesn't matter but it would be nice to know for sure what caused it. But just think you should be able to tune her up to the 300 HP setting and just blast up those hills.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:20 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
Sorry to hear you it was the HG, but the gauge sort of told the story. I personally find it hard to believe the tune did it, I've read countless situations where people were towing tuned, big HP tunes without issues stock. I guess it really doesn't matter but it would be nice to know for sure what caused it. But just think you should be able to tune her up to the 300 HP setting and just blast up those hills.
X2 on that. Sort of think there was a problem before the low tune. They are stonger than that.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:58 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
I got the truck with 4000 miles on it. Paid 30K, MSRP was 47K++. So I kind of rode around waiting for whatever he knew that I didn't to happen, but it never did. had 65,000 trouble free miles then had a tranny issue that I still don't understand but I used it as an excuse to upgrade the innards. Then this. and I'm not even sure i was in a tow tune. But it was my first hard tow with the rebuilt tranny and most of my attention was on how it was doing so I don't remember changing the tune back to stock. But at my age I don't remember lots of stuff. Anyway, it is what it is. The only way I can get my money's worth out now is to drive it forever. My daily driver is a 92 Acura that I bought in 93 so I do have the capacity to go long on a vehicle. I'll just be glad to get it back and head south for the winter.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:09 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,462 Likes on 904 Posts
I got the truck with 4000 miles on it. Paid 30K, MSRP was 47K++. So I kind of rode around waiting for whatever he knew that I didn't to happen, but it never did. had 65,000 trouble free miles then had a tranny issue that I still don't understand but I used it as an excuse to upgrade the innards. Then this. and I'm not even sure i was in a tow tune. But it was my first hard tow with the rebuilt tranny and most of my attention was on how it was doing so I don't remember changing the tune back to stock. But at my age I don't remember lots of stuff. Anyway, it is what it is. The only way I can get my money's worth out now is to drive it forever. My daily driver is a 92 Acura that I bought in 93 so I do have the capacity to go long on a vehicle. I'll just be glad to get it back and head south for the winter.
Glad you finally got your truck diagnosed as I saw this one coming, and these type of reoccurring problems can drive you nuts.

Anyways good thing you're getting it fixed.