1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OBD2 scanners, AE, snap on, EVO, and stuff, whats the one to have?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,753 Posts
Tugly... like I said, all that extra stuff is not required with the NGS. In fact, the NGS replaces all that equipment, and the laptop. I just thought the picture was a funny follow up to your comment about the hassles of setting up a laptop and Windows decides that it is update time. "It could be worse..."

Old 12-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
It would honestly be nice to see... a complete list of operations each unit can do without paying more money, buying extra cables, plugs or wires, and all that... In the past I have heard about things being awesome, easy, and all that whatnots and then when it comes down to it, not so much.
In partial answer to this question, I posted a list of the measurement tools built into the NGS (along with a built in multi channel flight recorder) which eliminate the need for the scope and meters in the photo (that I thought was humorous) that accompanied that post.

In another thread, you may have read about my efforts to figure out the root cause of my new PCM not working as it should. At this point, I should simply accept the fact that the PCM is bad, and replace it. But, being curious, I'm poking around, now completely off-book, to learn what I can.

But when I was going by the book, here is just one of many examples of a pin point test that made me realize the value of the Ford written software for the NGS, where the instructions are all laid out for me, and I don't have to guess, or use a DMM, which would do the same thing.

From Ford's PCED Diesel Workshop Manual:

FJ8 MEASURE FREQUENCY ON THE EF LINE
•Connect PCM to breakout box.
•IDM connected to harness.
•Set up scan tool as follows:
◾Connect scan tool to the DLC
◾Connect test probe between scan tool common and breakout box Pin 77 (ground).
◾Connect second test probe between scan tool signal and breakout box Pin 48 (EF line).
◾Select VEHICLE and ENGINE
◾Select DIGITAL MEASUREMENT SYSTEM
◾Change level to 4 VOLT DC
◾Press the link button to choose a PID
◾Select PID/DATA MONITOR
◾Select RPM PID
◾Press START

•Key on, engine running.
•Measure frequency at 3 different RPMs.
RPM Frequency (Hz)
1000 66
2000 133
3000 200

The instructions that I highlighted in blue directly correspond to the NGS screen defined buttons and screen text, step by step. There are no surprises. No menu searches. No moments of "what do I do now?" No aggravation of "where do I find that?" There is no need to translate the Ford instructions into how an aftermarket company designed the interface to their scan tool app to in order to approximate a similar task. And there is no need for my other tools.

The NGS software was written by Ford, for Fords. In the time since owning this tool, I have learned more about the way Ford licenses and releases their "enhanced" diagnostics. It is not as straightforward as I once thought. I once believed that whoever licensed and resold "Ford Enhanced" diagnostics was on a level playing field with a Ford scan tool. I have since learned that Ford hides certain functions that they want reserved for their own tools behind security algorithms. This may not be something that most people would care about, or even notice. I certainly wouldn't have known or noticed, but it is quite apparent that I have a lot to learn.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I do like that breakout box and the capability of the NGS (I have the PC/ED). I'm using the same method you do to learn the truck, but I chose not to delve into the "cards of the server". I focus on the interaction of the pieces to the whole system. In the computer world, I'm a card swapper... but in the systems world, I troubleshoot down to the component level.

I like your collection of tools for the truck. I used to own an O-scope with tracking capabilities, but I sold that years ago. I'd like to get an O-scope interface for the laptop, because there are times when I could really use it. If my netbook had an O-scope interface, the netbook would be that much closer to having many of the capabilities of the NGS. That being said, I'm sure the NGS would prove to be quite the helper as long as I owned the truck.

I found a used Hickok Rotunda NGS with cables and cards for $725, but I have about as much capability with AE, a meter, and the PC/ED. If that price included the injector breakout box, I'd be a wallet-whippin'.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Maybe I'll just invest in a good $20 stethoscope and just poke around listening to the motor to figure out problems.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Y2KW57
Maybe I'll just invest in a good $20 stethoscope and just poke around listening to the motor to figure out problems.
Now that would be taking a step backward. Instead, consider one of these wireless remote 4 channel stethoscopes so you could listen to 4 different things at once. Simultaneously. Kind of like listening to the opinions in this thread!

Old 12-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by Tugly
For those who haven't seen the ease of operation on AE (once the laptop is on and the software is up), this is a buzz test...
AE is a PITA to use on a daily drive. You have to boot the computer, pray there are no updates running, hook everything up (including power), start the software, make the connection, set your PIDs/ranges (if you haven't already saved a session that matches what you're doing on this run), and start a recording (including naming the file)...
It would honestly be nice to see a video of each of these systems in use. A video of walking up to the vehicle, plugging in, and how easy fast it is to get to diagnostics and stuff. You know, how user friendly all these things really are.

I agree, and wish I knew how to host and post videos. (Nice touch Tugly with the screen shot instruction of how to play the video, thanks!)

I have experienced what Tugly is talking about when Windows decides to update itself, doesn't give me an opt out for now option (or did, and I was doing something else like hooking up a cable and missed it) and straight up just shuts the computer down, and starts telling ME what to do (Do not turn off computer: 10% complete 90% remaining).

That actually happened to me when I was using my module reprogramming device (that requires a laptop) to update my PCM. I had to wait Windows out, and start all over again. That would be very inconvenient if I just wanted to do a quick scan or test of something before taking off.

That is why the buzz test video is not meaningful as "proof of ease of operation of the AE." A more meaningful video to demonstrate ease of operation would be exactly as Snowseeker described.

Two guys. Two trucks. Two scan devices powered down carried in hand.
Ten feet away from the vehicle... On your mark, set, go.

How long will it take each guy to get to the point to run that buzz test?

The buzz test itself is automated... which is not a function of AE, as the test sounds the same and is just as brief regardless of the scan tool that initiated it. The comparison for ease of operation is everything one has to do prior to beginning. When I run the buzz test, I plug the cable into the DLC, and in 3 quick button clicks my test is buzzing away. Near instant deployment.

When I first got my truck, I became friends with one of the Ford instructors who went from dealership to dealership training technicians on Powerstroke service techniques. He happened to live near me, so I visited him at his home. He had a Snap On MT2500, which was THE tool of the day lo these many years ago. It took him a lot longer to get to that test. And he was an expert.

So when someone like him, or someone with as much experience with AE as Tugly has, still reports wanting something a little quicker or easier to use, that is worth paying attention to. This kind of user based feedback is not found on the scantool maker's websites, which is why this thread has proved to be a valuable resource for folks looking into the options.

This is true for both people in the market for scan tools and apps, as well as those of who are silently reading who write and sell these apps.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
This reminds me of a job being held up because the laser hadn't shown up yet. I grabbed the lowly plumb bob and made the mark to follow. When the laser finally arrived, we ran it to verify our chalk line... it was dead-on. Sometimes technology is for convenience or to compensate for lack of knowledge/skill... other times it allows us to do things previously impossible.

As for deployment... the netbook is the hold-up. It's a carputer, not a gamer. If I use the laptop I write with, the panel-open to buzz-test time is less than a minute. My main laptop is a 17" and doesn't lend itself to sitting in front while I log data.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The unit supports fleets or customers with more than one 7.3L. 1 additional license is required per vehicle that you want to program with the Infinity DX and each license is $100.00

I can't use that one.
I think you're referring to the programming (tunes) side of things. I was under the impression this unit is like AE, in that it can hop around from vehicle to vehicle - scan-tool wise. I do not recommend it for service work... not like I would for a scan tool designed for that purpose.
Rich is correct. The VIN license is only for the tuning side of the Infinity. No additional VIN license is needed for diagnostic purposes.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 01-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner
Rich is correct. The VIN license is only for the tuning side of the Infinity. No additional VIN license is needed for diagnostic purposes.

Thanks!

I will have to read threw it again and see all its features.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner
Thank you for the clarification, Justin.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
For those with ELM 327 and a laptop, here's one you can experiment with: [LINK]

I'd try it myself, but I'm deep into Android for a while.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
For those considering running Torque Pro as an OBD scanner but would prefer to do it on a Windows PC rather than an Android phone or tablet, the following was recently released:

BlueStacks to Offer Full Android OS on Windows PCs
Posted January 7, 2014 at 7:30 am by Will Verduzco

For full text of press release see:

BlueStacks to Offer Full Android OS on Windows PCs – xda-developers

For link to Bluestacks Android app player for your Windows PC, see:

BlueStacks - App Player

For the Amazon Android App installer see:

Amazon.com: Apk Installer: Appstore for Android Amazon.com: Apk Installer: Appstore for Android

Old 10-21-2014, 07:49 AM
Silverlake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the idea of getting data from my 7.3 to my Android or tablet as well. The truck (2000 F250) is new to me though and I'm not sure what it logs.
What I would like to get is:
Trans temps (6 speed manual)
Boost
Engine oil temp
Water temp

If I install two pyros, is there a way to get EGT temps as well?

Old 10-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Hey look at this thread!

I ended up getting AE, I haven't played with it allot but I do like it. It isn't as easy as I would like to just plug in and see codes but it works alright.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Silverlake
I like the idea of getting data from my 7.3 to my Android or tablet as well. The truck (2000 F250) is new to me though and I'm not sure what it logs.
What I would like to get is:
Trans temps (6 speed manual)
Boost
Engine oil temp
Water temp

If I install two pyros, is there a way to get EGT temps as well?

You'll need to give up on water temp (not on OBDII port) and any external sensors. The OBDII port carries what's from the factory, not what's been added by the consumer. It's a bit of engineering and online research to add external sensors to your Android device - it's likely cheaper and definitely easier to just add a few gauges, like I have.

Quick Reply: OBD2 scanners, AE, snap on, EVO, and stuff, whats the one to have?