1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Western Swing away to the "paddle/nemo/small" mirror

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:36 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Western Swing away to the "paddle/nemo/small" mirror

Evening, can anyone tell me with any certainty if the upper mounting holes on the Western Swing away morrors are the same holes the "paddle, nemo, small" mirrors mount to? AND, under the upper bracket where my western mirror currently is, is there a third hole for the addition of the power cord if one (me) were to go to the paddle nemo small? Thanks fellas.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:11 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Must be someone who went the opposite way, say from the small nemos to the western style that has experience in this area??

Old 11-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
They are NOT the same pattern

the Nemo and the gooseneck share the same top pattern. The westerns are different though.

I also want to say there is no hole for the outrigger on the nemo

Old 11-30-2013, 06:01 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Alright, maybe I've identified what I have wrong as they look damn close to the same location, just so were clear this is what I have.... Should I have said west coast mirrors or are those the giant ones? Not that I don't believe you I just want to make sure we're on the same page.. If the mounts are different what do the mounts consist of for the nemos? Is it a welded bung on the inside of the door panel that a SAE machine screw threads into or is it more crude than that? Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2013, 07:25 PM
osu711
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO you can see better out of the swing aways then the small ones, the swing aways are just a PITA to adjust by yourself. Also you would have to plug the bottom hole or leave part of that bracket on to keep the holes plugged

Old 11-30-2013, 08:15 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
THEY BLEED RUST; going bye bye.... Installing paddle mirrors.... Having body shop fill swing away holes.... Those things are useless for me and they look like dog turd...

Old 11-30-2013, 11:35 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
THEY BLEED RUST; going bye bye.... Installing paddle mirrors.... Having body shop fill swing away holes.... Those things are useless for me and they look like dog turd...
Do you mean you are installing those small mirrors that you can't see anything out of? Those are the ones that look kinda ridiculous, in my opinion. They are way to small for these big trucks. And hey, lots of us run those "turds" as you call them! They work really for towing and I think they look pretty cool as oldschool truck mirrors.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:48 PM
williameub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran a set of those nemos on a CCSB that I had for a little bit. I couldn't see S***. I finally physically ripped them off the truck after a bad day at work (and quite a few other things. Not a shining moment.)

Stick with your westerns. You may not like them now, but you'll love em after you do the switch.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:37 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Alright, maybe I've identified what I have wrong as they look damn close to the same location, just so were clear this is what I have.... Should I have said west coast mirrors or are those the giant ones? Not that I don't believe you I just want to make sure we're on the same page.. If the mounts are different what do the mounts consist of for the nemos? Is it a welded bung on the inside of the door panel that a SAE machine screw threads into or is it more crude than that? Thanks.
No, you ID'd them right. Western mirrors or swing aways. Probably the best mirror option out there

they do NOT have the same pattern as the Nemos or Goosneck mirrors.

And like others have said, the nemos SUCK. I have them on my Lightning, Bronco , pulling truck and both crew cabs. The one crewcab I converted over to the Gooseneck style.

I REALLY like the western swing aways like I had on my old 97. I just added a 4" spot mirror. VERY functional yet not too big

Old 12-01-2013, 06:54 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Corey, I think these guys are steering you right in the fact that the holes are not the same. If you need me to confirm or send you some pictures, I can do so as I have doors laying around here that had both style mirrors on them. I'm not going to try to convince you to change your mind on the mirror choices. If you don't do a ton of towing the nemo mirrors aren't terrible in my opinion. I had them on my old truck (CCLB) and I didn't think they were terrible, but I can definitely see more and see it better with the towing mirrors on the new truck. Part of the convenience of the nemo mirrors for me was the fact that the ones I had were powered, so adjusting them was easy. I can see where they could be a pain if they weren't power, but I doubt they're any harder to adjust by yourself than any of the other style mirrors.

The nemo mirrors attach with two smallish screws that fasten into threaded bungs in the doors, and there is an aluminum arm (what Brad is referring to as an outrigger) that goes through the outer door skin through a big square hole and then it attaches to the inside door skin from inside the truck (under the trim panel) with one bolt. Without that part attached they wiggle and wobble and flex the outer door skin and they're more or less worthless because they shake so much.

Let me know if you need pictures or measurements. I'm sure a decent body shop could put the nemos on for you. I could even take some pictures of the view through the nemos from the driver seat if you like. I don't have the western mirrors to compare it to, just the towing (tripod) mirrors.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:22 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Corey, I think these guys are steering you right in the fact that the holes are not the same. If you need me to confirm or send you some pictures, I can do so as I have doors laying around here that had both style mirrors on them. I'm not going to try to convince you to change your mind on the mirror choices. If you don't do a ton of towing the nemo mirrors aren't terrible in my opinion. I had them on my old truck (CCLB) and I didn't think they were terrible, but I can definitely see more and see it better with the towing mirrors on the new truck. Part of the convenience of the nemo mirrors for me was the fact that the ones I had were powered, so adjusting them was easy. I can see where they could be a pain if they weren't power, but I doubt they're any harder to adjust by yourself than any of the other style mirrors.

The nemo mirrors attach with two smallish screws that fasten into threaded bungs in the doors, and there is an aluminum arm (what Brad is referring to as an outrigger) that goes through the outer door skin through a big square hole and then it attaches to the inside door skin from inside the truck (under the trim panel) with one bolt. Without that part attached they wiggle and wobble and flex the outer door skin and they're more or less worthless because they shake so much.

Let me know if you need pictures or measurements. I'm sure a decent body shop could put the nemos on for you. I could even take some pictures of the view through the nemos from the driver seat if you like. I don't have the western mirrors to compare it to, just the towing (tripod) mirrors.
Thank you sir! Exactly what information I was looking for, I appreciate that!

And like others have said, the nemos SUCK. I have them on my Lightning, Bronco , pulling truck and both crew cabs. The one crewcab I converted over to the Gooseneck style.
I totally appreciate your opinion, as a matter of fact I'd keep the swing always if I was going to tow on a regular basis but the fact if the matter is three fold. 1. I had the nemos on my 97 cclb psd and loved them, 2. The mounts for any mirror that fastens to the door will bleed rust, and 3, I can adjust the nemos while driving at night..

Thanks for the replys fellas, the mounting information was what I needed. I do value all of your opinions tho I've had them on an identical truck and they work for me

Old 12-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
…..2. The mounts for any mirror that fastens to the door will bleed rust, …...

I totally DISagree with you on this

That green and silver truck had almost 200k on it and was in the NE its whole life. Not one spec of rust anywhere around the mirrors.(I know I had them off to do silver) The rest of the truck, is a different story

Also, I hope you know adding power mirros necessitates replacing the WHOLE window for harness(which runs to both doors BEHIND the dash)

Old 12-01-2013, 09:19 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Your totally entitled to your opinion. I'm not going to argue w you, tho; if I had a dollar for every time I saw a truck w rust streeked doors because of those horrendous contraptions I'd b a rich man...

Old 12-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Your totally entitled to your opinion. I'm not going to argue w you, tho; if I had a dollar for every time I saw a truck w rust streeked doors because of those horrendous contraptions I'd b a rich man...
All it takes is cleaning

Old 12-01-2013, 10:01 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
I personally am festideous..

Quick Reply: Western Swing away to the "paddle/nemo/small" mirror