Help with e4od please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 05:55 PM
garrettsanchez
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with e4od please!!!!

So I bought a 1994 at an auction and fiqured out I was in for a treat after I popped the hood at home. Its a 94 not 94 1/2 so it HAD an idi.. its got a 97 powerstroke in it now! im like sweet, but the tranny acts so erratic that I don't know what to do. so looked at tranny and tranny harness plugs are pulled up with wires exposed so im like score i found it. bought a set of plugs and re-built the harness pretty much and put new connecters. it was a mess at the engine harness side because they half *** spliced the 94 tranny harness to the 97 tranny harness plug that connects to the engine harness.

so before I did this its symptoms were it had rev, started out in high gear or something was struggling to get moving, no start unless jump solenoid, no 2nd auto or manual, and bad shifting behavior period.

After I rebuilt harness and greased her down, it started normal, has rev still ,starts out in high gear or something is still struggling to get moving, no 2nd and top end shifting issues. pulled it apart today I want to clean out the male ended connector connected to trans on passenger side but i gotta drop the tranny pan so that's where im at. biggest headache ever just want it to work i love the truck but cant drive it like this... ANY help would be extremely appreciated!!!

sorry for the novel.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 971 Likes on 767 Posts
This trans is COMPLETELY computer controlled, so step #1 is pull the codes.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:41 PM
garrettsanchez
New User
prior to rebuilt harness i pulled like 4 codes 2 were dealer only codes and 2 were soleniod codes. after i did the harness they went away. but then again i didn't drive it much cause it drove like crap so maybe they will pop back up.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:35 PM
garrettsanchez
New User
update. pulled right side plug put more electric grease on it and plugged her in. drove it around the block for 20 mins. shifts fine manually but if you put it in drive it starts in like 3rd or something. plus when you shift from gears at a stop it boggs out for a sec like its underload then sounds fine. no codes thrown. ideas??? its not the converter.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:12 PM
garrettsanchez
New User
bump

Old 12-23-2013, 07:50 PM
cparks
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Could it be related to the selector switch on the side of the trans? Maybe it is not sending the correct signal to the computer.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:34 AM
TurboBronco
Junior User
Need a little more info...Are you using the stock computer to run the new engine, or did you replace the computer when you did the engine swap?

If you replaced the computer, was the new computer designed to work with the E4OD?

You mentioned that the trans shifts fine manually, so it sounds like the issue is the the transmission controller, which is the ecm. If you can determine that the issue is the ECM, there is an easy fix.

The USShift transmission controller will control the E4OD and allow you to select your shift points. It can also be setup for 2 modes - normal and towing, or something similar. I've used it and highly recommend it. It comes with it's own harness as well as the proper ends already terminated, so no wiring issues.

Based on the information provided so far, it sounds like the transmission isn't being controlled by the computer correctly.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:08 PM
garrettsanchez
New User
Originally Posted by TurboBronco
Need a little more info...Are you using the stock computer to run the new engine, or did you replace the computer when you did the engine swap?

If you replaced the computer, was the new computer designed to work with the E4OD?

You mentioned that the trans shifts fine manually, so it sounds like the issue is the the transmission controller, which is the ecm. If you can determine that the issue is the ECM, there is an easy fix.

The USShift transmission controller will control the E4OD and allow you to select your shift points. It can also be setup for 2 modes - normal and towing, or something similar. I've used it and highly recommend it. It comes with it's own harness as well as the proper ends already terminated, so no wiring issues.

Based on the information provided so far, it sounds like the transmission isn't being controlled by the computer correctly.
pretty much also the tach dosent work. the ecm matches engine not trans so I think your spot on sounds very possible how much do these controllers run??

Old 12-27-2013, 06:25 PM
garrettsanchez
New User
checked it with my mac scanner and still no codes...

Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by garrettsanchez
checked it with my mac scanner and still no codes...
No codes at all? You should at least get the all clear codes 11 or 111, if you don't then you're not actually talking to the computer.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 AM
TurboBronco
Junior User
Here is the info on the US Shift Controller:

The US Shift Transmission Control System

Cost is going to be about $600. Not cheap, but it will control your transmission and give you adjustability in the shift points. I've used it and was really, really pleased with it. It is cheaper than most other alternatives out there.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by garrettsanchez
the ecm matches engine not trans
The ECM has to match the engine/trans combo because it controls both or in the case of a diesel controls the transmission primariy as the engine needs little or no control depending upon the vintage.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:21 AM
garrettsanchez
New User
so I need to make sure my ecm slash tcm is made for a e4od and not a stick shift by replacing it with one that is for a fact for a 97 motor and e4od(trans year not making a difference?) OR can I get it flashed???

yesterday I noticed a weird buzzing coming from the tranny pan(valvebody/solenoids) after I shut the truck off after another test drive, pretty odd I know that's not normal.
such a headache... should just adapt a torque shift....

Old 01-02-2014, 05:03 PM
garrettsanchez
New User
guess il just but a ecm/tcm next and see if that does it. :/

Old 01-07-2014, 04:59 PM
garrettsanchez
New User
used the ECM out of my buddy's trucks which is a 96 7.3 with an e4od. mine didn't do anything different, however I have a fairly loud buzzing coming from my tranny pan after I shut the truck off. so it has to be a solenoid or internal wiring or the valve body right?? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Help with e4od please!!!!