Sponsored by: Moser

Adding Factory remote start

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 01:41 PM
hard3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Factory remote start

Thinking of adding factory type remote start option to my 2011 f150.
Saw this add on ebay from a Ford dealer parts selling kit ---Genuine Ford Part # BC3Z-19G364-A $229. 00 . Has anyone done this themselves? I am assuming the truck will need to be dealer re-flashed to get set up. Not sure if the kit comes with directions for installing. Trying to decide if worth messing with myself, or send out >

Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 PM
DLTtoday
Junior User
If it was me I would not put a factory remote start in. I would go with an aftermarket option. The range on the factory start is very limited. If you later want to add on the option to remote start from your phone you will have to spend 400-600 for that box too . I would just go with a quality aftermarket to start with.
Also with some of the aftermarket systems you can check out the status of your truck, temperature, alarm set offs, window integrity. At the very least you will get feedback on whetherthe truck crunk up or not.

If you want to go factory, I would plug that in and check it. Its possible you may not even have to reprogram.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:28 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DLTtoday
If it was me I would not put a factory remote start in. I would go with an aftermarket option. The range on the factory start is very limited. If you later want to add on the option to remote start from your phone you will have to spend 400-600 for that box too . I would just go with a quality aftermarket to start with.
Also with some of the aftermarket systems you can check out the status of your truck, temperature, alarm set offs, window integrity. At the very least you will get feedback on whetherthe truck crunk up or not.

If you want to go factory, I would plug that in and check it. Its possible you may not even have to reprogram.

How many 1,000's of yards range do you need to start your vehicle in the driveway? Just about every state in this country has a law and fining the owner who leaves his vehicle unattended and running in a public place. It does not matter if the vehicle stalls when a thief tries to put it in gear.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:49 AM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
How many 1,000's of yards range do you need to start your vehicle in the driveway? Just about every state in this country has a law and fining the owner who leaves his vehicle unattended and running in a public place. It does not matter if the vehicle stalls when a thief tries to put it in gear.
Only those crazy northern states that spend more time making laws then sense.

However, I like that on my GM I can start my truck with my phone while I'm getting off the plane at the airport for example so if it's been sitting for 2 weeks I have fresh air inside and the truck is ready to roll.

It's also nice when you are at a hotel and it's 100 plus degrees out you can simply start your truck while you are in the room and it's comfortable and ready to roll on your arrival.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
mine has factory remote start and the range is useless...won't start from inside the second floor of an office building with the truck parked against the wall, immediately outside the glass. If you're gonna spend money, find a better system.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:28 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by montecarlo31
Only those crazy northern states that spend more time making laws then sense.

However, I like that on my GM I can start my truck with my phone while I'm getting off the plane at the airport for example so if it's been sitting for 2 weeks I have fresh air inside and the truck is ready to roll.

It's also nice when you are at a hotel and it's 100 plus degrees out you can simply start your truck while you are in the room and it's comfortable and ready to roll on your arrival.

Looks like another one of those crazy northern states like the one you live in has a law against running unattended vehicles. Florida state statue 316.1975 fine depends on what county you live in.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:10 PM
8up5.0
New User
I have that exact starter in my truck, easy to install just plug in 1 wire then take it to dealer to activate, no cutting or splicing, mine starts from inside the far side of my house 2nd floor, automatically turns on the a/c or heat defrost/ heated mirrors depending on the outside temp, and turns on parking lights so you can look at it through a window and know its running

Old 11-27-2013, 08:19 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
Looks like another one of those crazy northern states like the one you live in has a law against running unattended vehicles. Florida state statue 316.1975 fine depends on what county you live in.
That came up when I did lived in Florida and the state stance is they are not enforcing remote start. You will also find another statue that allows people to leave their car running within sight and PS I'm not in FL...

Old 11-27-2013, 08:59 PM
DLTtoday
Junior User
When its below freezing and I have my infant with me and can't start the truck from the in line at Walmart....kinda loses its value. I don't need to bother with cranking it up when I have line of sight walking to it.
10 min of running will help warm up.
30 seconds will not.

David.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

Originally Posted by 8up5.0
I have that exact starter in my truck, easy to install just plug in 1 wire then take it to dealer to activate, no cutting or splicing, mine starts from inside the far side of my house 2nd floor, automatically turns on the a/c or heat defrost/ heated mirrors depending on the outside temp, and turns on parking lights so you can look at it through a window and know its running
That is the same part number for my 2013 Edge. So you just had to plug in one wire. And did the dealer charge you to program it? Ford accessories wants $289 and the dealer wants $600. CB

Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 PM
montecarlo31
Elder User
When its below freezing and I have my infant with me and can't start the truck from the in line at Walmart....kinda loses its value. I don't need to bother with cranking it up when I have line of sight walking to it.
10 min of running will help warm up.
30 seconds will not.

David.
you want this then.

Remote Access | The Official Site for Ford Custom Accessories

Part No: DL3Z-19A390-B

Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 PM
8up5.0
New User
Originally Posted by Charlie Bravo
That is the same part number for my 2013 Edge. So you just had to plug in one wire. And did the dealer charge you to program it? Ford accessories wants $289 and the dealer wants $600. CB
I got mine from eBay for 175.00,a tech i know at ford cut the keys and activated it for 50, it comes with instructions , I have installed 4 hard wired remote starters in other cars/trucks I have owned this one was a lot more money but not having to cut into the factory wires and deal with bypassing the transponder key made the decision for me,

Old 11-28-2013, 01:02 AM
DLTtoday
Junior User
Originally Posted by montecarlo31
you want this then.

Remote Access | The Official Site for Ford Custom Accessories

Part No: DL3Z-19A390-B
You is right
Been looking at that a while now. Glad the price has dropped some by now.

But for the OP, if starting from scratch he can get a viper system with two way fob and mile range for 284$
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005WI...r=8-2&pi=SY200
And add the smart module to use his phone for 138
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00471...r=8-1&pi=SL500
And have spent a total of 422 instead of 948$ (module + ford smart app + required security thing ) and have a much better key fob system and comparable smart start app from a reliable name.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:38 AM
shatfieldj
Freshman User
You is right
Been looking at that a while now. Glad the price has dropped some by now.

But for the OP, if starting from scratch he can get a viper system with two way fob and mile range for 284$
Viper 5904 Responder HD SuperCode SST 2-Way Security and Remote Start System:Amazon:Car Electronics
And add the smart module to use his phone for 138
Viper VSM200 / DSM200 / DSM200 Viper SmartStart module:Amazon:Electronics
And have spent a total of 422 instead of 948$ (module + ford smart app + required security thing ) and have a much better key fob system and comparable smart start app from a reliable name.
I'm confused. Is the $385 for the remote start and the smartphone app, or just for the app? I already have a o e m remote start. I wouldn't mind getting the app if it's available, but not at $400. Thanks

Old 11-28-2013, 10:26 AM
DLTtoday
Junior User
Originally Posted by shatfieldj
I'm confused. Is the $385 for the remote start and the smartphone app, or just for the app? I already have a o e m remote start. I wouldn't mind getting the app if it's available, but not at $400. Thanks
The app itself is free, the module to hook in the truck and the app to talk to is 385 +50? A year.
At the bottom of the page linked above it says there is a security something or other that is required in addition to that module.
Even with factory remote start you have to buy the 385 module and the security thing for it to work.

I have the factory remote start, but I'm actually leaning toward the viper system I linked above. It'll come out to about the same price as adding the ford smart start, with better fob.

Quick Reply: Adding Factory remote start