1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Pulled my ZF5 and found a surprise, or a few

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 AM
TireJockey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled my ZF5 and found a surprise, or a few

So i pulled my tranny out yesterday and it actually came out quite well once i took the DownPipe out. But i after i got it out of the truck i noticed was cracked, all the way up the side of the bell housing. I actually found out alot lf things wrong with my truck yesterday. Heres a list just for entertainment.

Front axle seals
Rear axle seals
Rear brakes
Front wheel bearings on both sides
Transmission (obviously)
All steering components
Limited Slip is gone
Down pipes are leakinging

Side note: i knew the bell housing had been cracked at one point, Ghallager Ford welded it up 10+ years ago instead of putting a new transmission in. But unfortunatley, it being cast aluminum, the weld has failed completely.

Not really asking for help here just complaining about this $3-4000 list of parts lmao

Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
ouch! sorry to hear about all the work ahead of you.

any idea how/why the tranny case cracked? do you think it was just a bad casting, or were you (or the PO) beating the heck out of it?

Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 AM
woodtrucker
Senior User
man. I thought my problems were deep and wide. Sorry you have discovered so much wrong. It's a chance we all take buying a an old powerstroke. My gamble didn't necessarily pay off either but for the most part many of my major problems have been solved. Good luck and I hope you can get these issues resolved! I'm praying someday that I won't have a truck I need to constantly invest in. I hope it happens with my blue baby too!

Old 11-25-2013, 03:45 PM
TireJockey
Senior User
Apparently there are a few people that have had this same problem, i met a guy who's transmission literally fell outta his truck because his bell housing cracked off. My truck has had 3 owners, I'm the third. I know the first owner took very good care of this truck with every maintenance record for mile 1. The tranny was found cracked over 10 years ago, and I'm guessing that Ghallager ford (in Dayton/Carson City Nevada) didn't care to weld it correctly because it has split literally down the middle of the crack. The entire passenger side of the bell housing is cracked. Im going to find a company who remans these trannys and just spend the cash on a virtually new tranny.

As for the other problems, in almost excited to have a brand new running gear lmao

Old 11-25-2013, 03:50 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
sounds like they didn't get enough heat into the weld to flow the metal in the bell housing.
sad. Not sure what a rebuild shop will think about a core refund for a broken bell housing. Might cost you an extra $500. I found a company on ebay out of whitesburg, KY. A long way for you but they do rebuild for what looks like reasonable prices. Don't know anything about them but check them out. Good luck! Keep an eye out on cl. every now and then a tranny will pop up. You might even find a housing and swap all the guts if you got good syncro's.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:03 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TireJockey
Im going to find a company who remans these trannys and just spend the cash on a virtually new tranny.

As for the other problems, in almost excited to have a brand new running gear lmao
Midwest transmission is the way to go if you don't have a good local shop that does them.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:05 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
I contacted Midwest trans by email a few weeks ago - never heard back from them. I guess you have to call?

Old 11-25-2013, 04:16 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OldWoodsDiesel
I contacted Midwest trans by email a few weeks ago - never heard back from them. I guess you have to call?
I've never emailed them before, but don't hesitate to call them. They are great people. I've called several times to get t-case parts and someone has always answered pretty quickly.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 PM
TireJockey
Senior User
My local shop does good work for cheap. Theyre gonna rebuild the whole thing, all 6 gears and case, bearings seals for $1500 or so.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 PM
OldWoodsDiesel
Posting Guru
I want to say that a zf5 rebuild from Midwest was 12-1300 after core return. With a decent warranty as well I think.

Never used them myself, but may in the future.

My email to them was asking if I could go from a zf5-42 core to a rebuilt zt5-47 and what the extra cost would be. Maybe they just didn't want to deal with that question :-)

Old 11-25-2013, 09:04 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
My local shop does good work for cheap. Theyre gonna rebuild the whole thing, all 6 gears and case, bearings seals for $1500 or so.
Dang. That sounds pretty good. Sucks that you have to spend the extra money but you wont ever have to get into it again after this...

Old 11-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
That includes a new front case? And why would they be putting gears in? Are you missing teeth or something.

BTW that failed weld can be welded(correctly) and be stronger than the original housing.

Alos i have bought parts from Dan(midwest trans) and he was a pleasure to del with(phone and emaiL)

Old 11-26-2013, 07:51 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sheesh. Merry Christmas to you! LOL. Also keep in mind that the bellhousing from a diesel 2 wheel drive transmission and the 4x4 are the same and can be swapped. I've personally seen it done and it's not that big a job.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:10 AM
TireJockey
Senior User
Got my tranny back from the shop. I paid $1213.75 for a complete rebuild with a brand NEW case. I also got a detriot true trac, all new wheel bearings and races, and axle seals, and a secret set of bellowed up pipes from a secret supplier. I will disclose more information about these when i am allowed to. So far i have spent about $3500. And should get my truck back up and running around thursday

Old 12-08-2013, 12:41 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
Got my tranny back from the shop. I paid $1213.75 for a complete rebuild with a brand NEW case. I also got a detriot true trac, all new wheel bearings and races, and axle seals, and a secret set of bellowed up pipes from a secret supplier. I will disclose more information about these when i am allowed to. So far i have spent about $3500. And should get my truck back up and running around thursday
Nice! Gonna be sweet! You guys get any of this snow down there? That true trac will be awesome for that.

Quick Reply: Pulled my ZF5 and found a surprise, or a few