6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Looking for leveling kit, which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:04 PM
shark1979
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for leveling kit, which way to go?

I want to put a leveling kit on my 2012 f250. I have looked at a couple. Can you put 2.5 spacers without track bar kit? What is the best kit to go with?

Old 11-24-2013, 09:12 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A better kit will have radius arm drop brackets and track bar drop brackets or a replacement track bar. Anytime you change geometry you're going to have to make up for it in all the parts, otherwise it won't align properly.

I cheaped out, got a level kit and ended up redoing it all weeks later with a proper lift kit because I wasn't completely satisfied. There's time and money right there.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:39 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have been back and forth with this over the last month or so. I think I have finally decided to go with the Carli leveling kit. I'm not going with the full blown pin top right now. Starting off with the base kit. I like the fact that I can build off of it and that it comes with quite a few nice components for a decent price even with the base kit.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:47 AM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
FWIW, the previous owner of my 250 put a "leveling kit" on the front, and to me, it seemed, it gave the truck a reverse rake, the front was higher than the rear. I ended up purchasing some 350 blocks to lift the rear end to level it back out. The two other stock '11 250's we have here in the fleet seem to backup my eyeballs, those trucks sit level to me, from the factory.....

From my understanding, it's the 350's that are higher in the rear (4" block vs. 2" block) and they are the trucks that benefit the most from the "leveling kit".

You may find yourself in my situation, and in that case, I'd say just look into a full kit right off the bat. Once I put the taller rear blocks on, the headlights were back to useful and I felt the steering feedback increase. I'm just guessing that reverse rake somehow kinda lightened the front axle.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:40 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
A leveling kit needs to have 350 blocks in the rear to sit "level".

If you are leveling, I personally would replace the springs/shocks and the track bar. The track bar is typically the source of death wobble anyway, so good to replace it with a HD unit anyway.
You can use the replacement caster bushes if you are looking to save money instead of new radius arms/drop brackets, and it will get you close to stock alignment specs.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Chris Stewart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
it gave the truck a reverse rake, the front was higher than the rear.
So many trucks are running around like this. You can see it a mile away. I don't get it.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Doug913
Senior User
wouldn't it just be wise to first measure to the top of the wheel wells and find out for sure. seem like to me the 250z are level and the 350s are 2" higher. measure twice add once (g)

Old 11-25-2013, 05:32 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have a 250, the only way the truck will be "level" is if you lift the front and the rear the same amount. The 250 sits nearly level already. I see a 2011 F250 with a "leveling kit" every day and can't figure out why he wants to ride around with the nose in the air like that.

As for the best leveling method, everybody has different tastes and budgets. I have used a 2.5" top spacer in the past and really wasn't interested in going that route again. I was looking for a 2" progressive rate replacement spring, but all I could find is 1.5" or 2.5". After sitting on my hands for nearly 3 years, I finally decided that I had to do something so when I was replacing the shocks anyway, I picked up a 2" aluminum bottom spacer for a price I couldn't pass up ($20 delivered including bolts). I installed the 2" spacers with the intention of it being a temporary measure, but I can't actually find any reason right now to spend more money doing something different and I still have yet to see anybody make a 2" spring.

If I wanted the full 2.5", that Carli kit is about the best I have seen. If you want something similar without the adjustable track bar, RCD (Race Car Dynamics) offers a kit with 2.5" front springs, alignment shims and 4 Bilstein shocks for just over $600. As I recall, they offer a taller rear block for the F250 as well.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:45 PM
remhaust
Senior User

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
So many trucks are running around like this. You can see it a mile away. I don't get it.

Exactly, but I think most dont know what they are doing or just buy without measureing first.Or more research.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:56 PM
remhaust
Senior User

Honestly if you ever ride in other trucks with there (brand)lifts then its all here say.I wish my truck rode like it did stock.Granted if u make changes be prepared to not or like the results.I hate the one I have now,but tires do some of the damage,so put originals back on to compare.Its sometimes surprising how much a little change makes, then on the other hand make huge changes and not much difference, its a crap shoot.There is a ready lift,or level kits or individual parts in different sorts with track bars,ect.... in diffent levels also for cheaper then most or equal.I right now am planning on lowering mine half as much.Might be going with ready lift 2.5 spacer kit for front,($250-300)just have lots of money in other lift and trying to change ect...I have adjustable trac bar already,so....trial n error.

P.S. I didnt need any adjustment with alignment on most of my lifts,but each on is different.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:02 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by remhaust
Honestly if you ever ride in other trucks with there (brand)lifts then its all here say.I wish my truck rode like it did stock.Granted if u make changes be prepared to not or like the results.I hate the one I have now,but tires do some of the damage,so put originals back on to compare.Its sometimes surprising how much a little change makes, then on the other hand make huge changes and not much difference, its a crap shoot.There is a ready lift,or level kits or individual parts in different sorts with track bars,ect.... in diffent levels also for cheaper then most or equal.I right now am planning on lowering mine half as much.Might be going with ready lift 2.5 spacer kit for front,($250-300)just have lots of money in other lift and trying to change ect...I have adjustable trac bar already,so....trial n error.

P.S. I didnt need any adjustment with alignment on most of my lifts,but each on is different.
That's interesting to hear. I am trying to make my stock truck ride better. My old lifted 2002 rode better than this 2012. This one will actually shake your voice if you are talking while riding down the highway in certain spots. Seems like the rear-end bounces all over the place. I'm hoping tires and shocks will help with some of it. If not, I can't imagine it riding worse.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:25 AM
remhaust
Senior User

I never noticed much bouncing on mine when I got it and drove it from texas,but did notice on roads up here.It doesnt do all the time, its the road,but funny thing is that same road you wont feel it with any other vehicle.Now that its lifted ect.... a lot worse but my front is also higher now,hence the change,but not just from this reason.They call it the bounce the super dutys do, not all but a few.I want to take my brothers F350 out and test on same roads some day to verify same results.I dont think there is any fix to it but heard guys that put that expensive carli leaf pack in had good luck,but then need air bags to haul Anything,but I still need those also,doestn take much to squat F250.When I first got my truck It road like a dream,minus the little bounce I noticed up here on certain roads,Interstate mostly, comes and goes as you drive.Ive even noticed looking down the road and seeing the ripples in the road,its new road.lol But dont forget tires make up a lot of the suspension.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:49 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 89LX306
That's interesting to hear. I am trying to make my stock truck ride better. My old lifted 2002 rode better than this 2012. This one will actually shake your voice if you are talking while riding down the highway in certain spots. Seems like the rear-end bounces all over the place. I'm hoping tires and shocks will help with some of it. If not, I can't imagine it riding worse.
Upgrading the shocks makes a huge difference on these trucks! I only ever experienced the harmonic bounce on a few occasions and that mostly went away when I added airbags. I later upgraded the shocks to Rancho 9000 all around and have been very pleased with the difference. Even with the rear shocks set to 4 of 9, it drastically changed the ride with the toy hauler in tow. Right now I have the front shocks at 5 and the rear at 4 and the truck rides much different than it did with those quick to rust, Rancho labeled excuse for shocks that it left the factory with!

Old 11-26-2013, 04:21 PM
remhaust
Senior User

I also plan on the rancho 9000 xl as soon as figure what I'm doing.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:34 AM
4604x4
New User
used a ready lift kit on my sons 2011. Nice kit used blocks out back set level. Had to straighten up the steering wheel, no other issues and work well with the snowplow set up too

Quick Reply: Looking for leveling kit, which way to go?