6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Hard time installing Viair on '13 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 04:53 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Hard time installing Viair on '13 6.7

As some of you know, I had previously installed a Viair 10007 Onboard air system on my 6.4L .
But I've been working for 2 days now trying to find a way to put it under this new truck. I've already helped a friend put his under an '11 F350 much the same way I did my '10, but the '13 is WAY different under there! For one, there are several "boxes"(sensors of some sort) with pretty hefty wiring harnesses in the way, plus there is quite a bit of change in the clearance between the floor pan and the frame. I didn't know(I found out when I ordered the wrong floor mats!) that there have been two floor configuration changes between the '11s and now. The floor pans have been changed with respect to the driver's floor board either having a recess where the left foot goes or a raised pad! Anyway, I've gone back and watched Epic's video trying to find a way to mount my system, but there are a few more pieces of floor pan supports in the way on mine than is shown in his video. It looks as if I am going to have to put the tank on a 'shelf' under the right passenger rear door and the compressor just under the bed on that side. Just venting here as I had no idea that things were changed on a truck of the same run. I'll post pics if I ever get it figured out. I know it can be done...just keep hitting the 'clearance issue" wall!

Old 11-21-2013, 06:45 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I am interested in this topic too.. I have a 12, with the drivers footrest.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:51 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I think there is more room on the right side.

I have a 3 gallon tank under the right side and my compressor is mounted to a bracket on the front of the right side spring hanger.

I also have a 5 gallon tank mounted above the drive shaft.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:04 PM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
As some of you know, I had previously installed a Viair 10007 Onboard air system on my 6.4L .
But I've been working for 2 days now trying to find a way to put it under this new truck. I've already helped a friend put his under an '11 F350 much the same way I did my '10, but the '13 is WAY different under there! For one, there are several "boxes"(sensors of some sort) with pretty hefty wiring harnesses in the way, plus there is quite a bit of change in the clearance between the floor pan and the frame. I didn't know(I found out when I ordered the wrong floor mats!) that there have been two floor configuration changes between the '11s and now. The floor pans have been changed with respect to the driver's floor board either having a recess where the left foot goes or a raised pad! Anyway, I've gone back and watched Epic's video trying to find a way to mount my system, but there are a few more pieces of floor pan supports in the way on mine than is shown in his video. It looks as if I am going to have to put the tank on a 'shelf' under the right passenger rear door and the compressor just under the bed on that side. Just venting here as I had no idea that things were changed on a truck of the same run. I'll post pics if I ever get it figured out. I know it can be done...just keep hitting the 'clearance issue" wall!
AHHHH That would explain my drivers side weathertech mat not quite fitting as nice as the passanger side. HMMMMM Figures.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:57 PM
ScottyDog
Elder User
Hey Monty - Just out of curiosity, what is the main use of the air system?
Air horns, air bags, tire fill - all of the above?
That is slicker than sheesh, for sure!
Good luck...

Old 11-21-2013, 02:44 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ScottyDog
Hey Monty - Just out of curiosity, what is the main use of the air system?
Air horns, air bags, tire fill - all of the above?
That is slicker than sheesh, for sure!
Good luck...
I like being able to adjust my airbags while traveling, but most importantly, I like having a big enough compressor to air up the tires on my trucks, camper, bikes and 4 wheeler when I need it. The truck is always around..

Old 11-21-2013, 02:48 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by porthole
I think there is more room on the right side.

I have a 3 gallon tank under the right side and my compressor is mounted to a bracket on the front of the right side spring hanger.

I also have a 5 gallon tank mounted above the drive shaft.
That's where it is going. Near the location in the pic. You are right, there is a lot of room on the rise of the frame just under the bed. I made a bracket for the tank to sit on made out of strut material and straps to hold it on. I am going to make another bracket, I believe, to go around the frame and put the compressor up where you are talking about. I am going to try and keep from drilling the frame on this one, even though there is no harm done with such small holes.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:51 PM
ScottyDog
Elder User
I like being able to adjust my airbags while traveling, but most importantly, I like having a big enough compressor to air up the tires on my trucks, camper, bikes and 4 wheeler when I need it. The truck is always around..
So that means I wouldn't have lug the bulky air tank around & accidently drop it on my toes only to discover that it leaked all the air out. Then dig around and find the 12v compressor & try remember where I hid it from myself, and then realize I forgot to put it back in the truck from the last time I used it.

Yea, I kinda like that idea..!

Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

I had the same issues with my Oasis - but compounded by the fact that I went from gas to diesel. On the Diesel the DEF line goes right down the frame rail where I had Aux. Battery and Compressor. Being that the 6.7 had dual batteries I eliminated the Aux battery and had to weld some spacers on the box to mount the Oasis.

Also the 5 gallon air tank would not mount on the drivers side the same. But temp now I have the air tank somewhat mounted mostly using straps (grrrrrr)..

But at least now I welded up a new replacement bumper (5" pipe) that is set up as air tank - so now I have about 11-12 gallons of air tank space...

Hopefully when Dr. gives me full health report I can crawl under there & clean-up, re-mount and stabilize it all for good....

Old 11-22-2013, 10:46 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Right now with my mock up, I am using strut material and making a hangar/shelf very similar to the way I did it on my 6.4, just using it upside down. Even then, the tank hit some of the floor supports. However, I am going to line the struts with rubber and set the round part of the tank down on the strut hangar to give me more clearance. I am also thinking about a "clamp" bracket for the compressor/bracket as well, that way I don't have to drill the frame near these new sensors and wiring harnesses. Hopefully can get more work done on it tomorrow weather permitting. Will let you guys know and will take pics.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:42 PM
lwk362393
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I am thinking of doing the exact same thing with my truck, but I know the instructions say to keep the compressor away from any water. So how do guys get away with mounting it underneath? I guess staying away from high water is an obvious answer, but is there some other trick?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:07 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by lwk362393
Just out of curiosity, I am thinking of doing the exact same thing with my truck, but I know the instructions say to keep the compressor away from any water. So how do guys get away with mounting it underneath? I guess staying away from high water is an obvious answer, but is there some other trick?
It is in and done. Will post pics after dinner or at least by morning. I need a refreshment! LOL

Old 11-23-2013, 07:09 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
As long as it is not submersed for an extended period it will be fine. Water spray doesn't hurt them. Just keep the filter dry and compressor free from caked on mud.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:23 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I am thinking of doing the exact same thing with my truck, but I know the instructions say to keep the compressor away from any water. So how do guys get away with mounting it underneath? I guess staying away from high water is an obvious answer, but is there some other trick?[/QUOTE]

I have a cross bed tool box with some room under it and to the sides. I mounted the compressor under the box and the tank next to the box in the bed (left side, between wheel well and cab) but in places where it wont hurt my load capacity. High and dry. Only down side, if I want to get to it, I have to remove the box. Only 4 screws, but it takes 2 people to lift it out.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:05 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Done! With Pics!

Here is the final outcome. On the 6.4 I had the tank hanging, on this truck, I couldn't make it work due to the new floor plan stamping and the extra sheet metal on the sides. So I just turned the tank around and set on 2 16" pieces of strut material and held in by 6" hangars. The only problem with the hangars is that they are made for PVC pipe that is 6" INSIDE diameter, not 6" outside diameter. I got to thinking about how to make the straps tighten up and then remembered that the strap is a different material than the tank and I didn't want them rubbing. I took a thick sided radiator hose and cut it in 2 lengths as wide as the straps and slid them between the tank and the straps.

I used the same bolts as I did on the 6.4L to hold the brackets and strut in place. just bought new Nylock nuts for them. See how close it is on the outside?

When installing the struts and lining them up, remember if you put the pop-off valve on top, that it has to have enough room to operate correctly. It will be close!!

The 18" braided line that came on the compressor was not long enough for me to move the comressor on this truck, so I ordered a Viair 36" line off of Amazon that was delivered today.

Notice how close the bracket is to the DPF? It won't touch I hope
I then mounted the compressor using the same Viair bracket I used in the other truck, but fabricated a bracket similar to the tank bracket but side to side instead of top to bottom. It is mounted in front of the right rear spring hanger.

I then used the idea I had on the other truck and ran the breather tube in through the grommet on the right rear of the cab. Very difficult for large hands, but it can be done.

And then attached the filter on the inside behind the seat after cutting a slit in the sound proofing and carpet behind the right rear seat, above the jack.

I then ran the lines along under the bed from the bags to the midway of the bed, then ran the along the frame away form any heat. I then used the grommet under the brake pedal as my entry point for all of my lines.

Ran the other lines from the tank to the controls and this is what it looks like.

Here is a daytime pic of the compressor installed.

Here is what the gauges looked like after they were installed.

Almost completely done now. Just have to add more protectant wire loom and a few more zip ties and track down a small leak on the tank. The bags are holding pressure just fine, just a small leak in the tank. I could've drilled teh frame and maybe have been done quicker, but wanted to try a "no drill" approach in regards to the frame. Wired it into my #1 upfitter switch and tested it out. So far, working fine.
Monty

Quick Reply: Hard time installing Viair on '13 6.7