1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

97 PSD Build Up!!! On A TIGHT Budget!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 06:01 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Might as well plan on an s366 kit too...and headstuds,springs,pushrods and intercooler and for sure efuel and ....and... And....and. ....and

.well,you get the picture

Old 01-28-2015, 07:01 AM
7.3fire
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you guys for the reply, it's gonna be spread out over a period of time, so really 10k? That's not terrible terrible, my first focus is injectors an finishing my exhaust, and ditching the 35s, will I be okay running the full force 180cc with just intake exhaust swamps idm tuning an gauges? Or do you guys recommend a different injector, thank you an I think I'm going with a cat stack

Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would recommend Rosewood Diesel over Full Force. His Stage 1 injectors are 160cc. Lots of guys on here are running his injectors and I don't know of anybody that has been unhappy with them. One thing to bear in mind is that with bigger injectors, you'll need an intercooler to keep it cool while working it hard (towing). Also, if you go much bigger than 160cc you're stock turbo will be hating life and it will be a smoky pig (think Cummins 12V with the pump turned up). Keeping it 160cc and stock nozzles or maybe 30% over stock will let you use the stock turbo.

Yeah, I'd say $10k is pretty doggone close.

Let's see:
Rosewood Injectors -$1235
T-500 HPOP (necessary with bigger injectors) -$ 449
Chip and Tunes (also necessary with injectors) -$ 450
BTS Trans -$6,000
Intercooler (if you piece it together yourself used) -$ 500
E-fuel -$ 600

That's $9,234 and you've not done anything with the turbo, wheels tires, or suspension. So yeah. $10k at least.

If you go bigger than Stage 1 injectors (or maybe 1.5's) you'll be looking at adding:
Aftermarket turbo setup at anywhere from $1500 - $2000
Headstuds, pushrods (Smith Brothers)and valve springs $ 900

Is your wallet screaming yet? Lol.

It's expensive, but nobody ever said doubling your engine's power output and making it a drivable, hard working, reliable rig would be easy right? It's definitely not a low- budget project.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:54 AM
7.3fire
Senior User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I would recommend Rosewood Diesel over Full Force. His Stage 1 injectors are 160cc. Lots of guys on here are running his injectors and I don't know of anybody that has been unhappy with them. One thing to bear in mind is that with bigger injectors, you'll need an intercooler to keep it cool while working it hard (towing). Also, if you go much bigger than 160cc you're stock turbo will be hating life and it will be a smoky pig (think Cummins 12V with the pump turned up). Keeping it 160cc and stock nozzles or maybe 30% over stock will let you use the stock turbo.

Yeah, I'd say $10k is pretty doggone close.

Let's see:
Rosewood Injectors -$1235
T-500 HPOP (necessary with bigger injectors) -$ 449
Chip and Tunes (also necessary with injectors) -$ 450
BTS Trans -$6,000
Intercooler (if you piece it together yourself used) -$ 500
E-fuel -$ 600

That's $9,234 and you've not done anything with the turbo, wheels tires, or suspension. So yeah. $10k at least.

If you go bigger than Stage 1 injectors (or maybe 1.5's) you'll be looking at adding:
Aftermarket turbo setup at anywhere from $1500 - $2000
Headstuds, pushrods (Smith Brothers)and valve springs $ 900

Is your wallet screaming yet? Lol.

It's expensive, but nobody ever said doubling your engine's power output and making it a drivable, hard working, reliable rig would be easy right? It's definitely not a low- budget project.
Thank you for the response, would a rose wood stage 1 160cc be a good injector starting out? Can i order them an run them on stock fuel turbo an hpop until i recover and get funds for those items? I already have a ts from tony which i can get re tuned for the bigger injectors. Will i really be able to see a huge power difference? Idk if this helps but i was amzed when pulling that f350 on 2.5 tons, we were doing 70mph at 1900 rpm just cruisin!!

Old 01-28-2015, 11:03 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Injectors make a world of difference. IF you can keep your foot out of it, stock fuel and hpop will be OK. But your young, I bet you can't. Heck, I'm old and can't keep my foot out of it. So, that's the problem and the term 'supporting' mods 'should' be done along with it. You could also get Tony to detune you until you get supporting mods.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:16 AM
7.3fire
Senior User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Injectors make a world of difference. IF you can keep your foot out of it, stock fuel and hpop will be OK. But your young, I bet you can't. Heck, I'm old and can't keep my foot out of it. So, that's the problem and the term 'supporting' mods 'should' be done along with it. You could also get Tony to detune you until you get supporting mods.
Oh boy, i cant keep my foot out of it on the hot tune from tuny an i think its fast, but i will contact him an see what he can do with de tuning till i have efuel hpop an stuff, how smokey are these rosewoods stage ones with out a turbo? is it going to be like someone said a dogged out 12v lol?

Old 01-28-2015, 12:29 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Stage 1's are a nice way to wake up a stock truck and you can run them pretty reliably with the stock turbo. You'll see some benefit from e-fuel and a better HPOP, but you won't hurt the injectors or the engine running stage 1s with stock fuel and turbo. Stage 1's are what I plan on doing to my truck when time and funds allow. That seems like a god way to wake the truck up without sacrificing too much in terms of reliability or toughness. It's a lot less expensive too since you don't necessarily hve to upgrade the turbo. Any bigger than 1's and I think you're on borrowed time with the stock turbo. That's just my $.02 though.

Smokiness in a setup like that is all determined by the tunes and how you drive it. Mash the skinny pedal from a dead stop and you'll roll some coal, but roll into slowly as the RPMs come up and the turbo has time to catch up and make it a lot cleaner running setup.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:57 PM
7.3fire
Senior User
Stage 1's are a nice way to wake up a stock truck and you can run them pretty reliably with the stock turbo. You'll see some benefit from e-fuel and a better HPOP, but you won't hurt the injectors or the engine running stage 1s with stock fuel and turbo. Stage 1's are what I plan on doing to my truck when time and funds allow. That seems like a god way to wake the truck up without sacrificing too much in terms of reliability or toughness. It's a lot less expensive too since you don't necessarily hve to upgrade the turbo. Any bigger than 1's and I think you're on borrowed time with the stock turbo. That's just my $.02 though.

Smokiness in a setup like that is all determined by the tunes and how you drive it. Mash the skinny pedal from a dead stop and you'll roll some coal, but roll into slowly as the RPMs come up and the turbo has time to catch up and make it a lot cleaner running setup.
Okay so im pretty set on those Rosewoods, that an the 203 thermostat are my next engine mods, along with a tranny fluid an filter change and oil change. My next outside thing is wheels an tires, wanna get my fuel mileage up an look bad ***, anways i am set on a fuel renegade 20x12 or 22x12 i cant make my mind up, i want a street/ performance tire, i love the look of nitto 420s, anyone have any suggestions?

Old 02-23-2015, 10:12 AM
7.3fire
Senior User
Hey guys,yes i have finally made my mind up update is my truck is going with a dually conversion with a flatbed. I found a smoking deal i think, 1992 f350 not cab an chassis, dually flatbed idi, only problem is the trans is shot, i paid 875 for it what do you think, i will be taking the rear axle and flatbed, then parting the rest out, also ordering the front adpaters from arrowcraft, then riding on the alcoas tilli have money for either a milled semi wheel, the headache rack on the flatbed has alittle rust but that is it, i also installed my mesh grill, and have projector healdights with painted housings in the making, my truck has been doing its usual hauling, another reason for a dually, also my dads red dodge has a 5.7 hemi, completely seized up at 102xxx... what do you all think about everything?

Old 02-23-2015, 01:41 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
You can't go wrong for that price. You got a good deal there.

With the parts truck there, you'll have everything you need to make the swap happen. I'm curious though, why you would do spacers in the front in lieu of just changing over the parts from the donor truck and doing it right.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:47 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm curious as well.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:32 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
You can't go wrong for that price. You got a good deal there.

With the parts truck there, you'll have everything you need to make the swap happen. I'm curious though, why you would do spacers in the front in lieu of just changing over the parts from the donor truck and doing it right.
The 92 is probably a 2WD, and his truck is a 4X4. I believe the only 4X4 duallys offered were cab and chassis units.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:03 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I didn't know he did a 4x4 conversion (or at least I didn't remember). If he did, that makes sense, I guess.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:23 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
I didn't know he did a 4x4 conversion (or at least I didn't remember). If he did, that makes sense, I guess.
Looking at the pics he just posted, I thought I saw locking hubs, but looking at the pics when he first bought it, it looks as if it is a 2wd. If both the trucks are 2WD, then he would have the correct parts to use the hubs off of the 92. My bad.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:13 AM
7.3fire
Senior User
Yes mine is 2wd, and so what all do I swap over from the parts truck? I just though the front dor the duallys was just a big ol adapter?

Quick Reply: 97 PSD Build Up!!! On A TIGHT Budget!