97 PSD Build Up!!! On A TIGHT Budget!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 05:38 AM
7.3fire
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FI460
Looks pretty good 7.3fire.

I really like the color matched grilles.

The white is just hard to keep clean...
Thanks man and yeah haha white trucks look the cleanest when they are clean but show dirt when there dirty...

Old 12-10-2013, 07:43 AM
7.3fire
Senior User
I have also been looking at some complete exhaust kits 4in, from diamond eye, actually the prices are not bad, under 300, but what is the difference between an off road exhausted and a standard?

Old 12-10-2013, 08:37 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 7.3fire
I have also been looking at some complete exhaust kits 4in, from diamond eye, actually the prices are not bad, under 300, but what is the difference between an off road exhausted and a standard?
Go with a Diamond Eye and not an MBRP if you can. The MBRP down pipe isn't the greatest and a lot of guys have fitment issues. The off-road exhaust includes the cat delete pipe, the standard system does not.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 AM
7.3fire
Senior User
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Go with a Diamond Eye and not an MBRP if you can. The MBRP down pipe isn't the greatest and a lot of guys have fitment issues. The off-road exhaust includes the cat delete pipe, the standard system does not.
Ok i want the off road pipe for a" straight pipe". Is it a pretty easy install for me and a buddy?

Old 12-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Leemakesmepee
Elder User
Ok i want the off road pipe for a" straight pipe". Is it a pretty easy install for me and a buddy?
If youre going with like a complete kit downpipe back then yes theyre easy to put it. the hardest part is gonna be taking your old downpipe off and putting the new on one.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:57 AM
7.3fire
Senior User
Originally Posted by Leemakesmepee
If youre going with like a complete kit downpipe back then yes theyre easy to put it. the hardest part is gonna be taking your old downpipe off and putting the new on one.
Yeah i want to do the whole new 4in. Yeah, i head the dp is a pain,have you ever inatalled one?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:09 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Correct. The offroad turbo back kit will have everything from front to back including the downpipe. As Lee has said already the hardest part of the install is going to be the downpipe. If you know someone with a porta-power that you could borrow it will make it a lot easier, but a lot of these have been installed with nothing but a sawzall and an assortment of prying tools to bend the pinch weld over. I heard one guy say that a wooden baseball bat really works well.

After that it's just a matter of slipping the pieces of pipe together and clamping it. To make it really nice, you can get the stainless steel band style exhaust clamps instead of the cheaper saddle clamps that are probably included with the kit. They make a better seal and they will make it a lot easier for you to loosen them up and tweak angles and move the pieces around after the fact. The saddle clamps more or less seal the pipes themselves together (and make separating the pies after the fact next to impossible) whereas the band clamps make the seal with the clamp and will let you slip the pipes apart if you need to for some reason.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:12 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
My advice is to get it all exactly where you want it before clamping. We thought we had mine and clamped it and decided to move a few of the rearward pieces. Huge PITA trying to get them to go back together.

Other than that the diamond eye kit was really nice.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:23 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
x3^^^^^^, I just went thru this with my exhaust system. To get the DP out I finally sawzalled it out. Then I had to weld it back together again and have the outer joint spread a little to fit. I didn't have to cut any other pipe but it was a hugh PITA getting it apart and back together again. Summit racing has Walker lap band clamps for about $9 apiece but I was in a hurry and ordered three of them from O'Reily's for $17 apiece. To my surprise, when I got there they had three boxes of ten in a box. I told them I only wanted three. He said it was a computer screw up and that I could have one box of ten for $17. I said 'sold' and used three and have six in the box that I don't really need. If you did the math, I have no idea of what happened to the tenth one but who complaining, LOL I'll never use saddle clamps again!!

Old 12-10-2013, 12:37 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, u-bolt clamps make pipe a PITA to get apart. Band clamps are the only way to go if your going to clamp pipe together. The true best way would be V-band clamps, but that is really expensive too.

If you get Glowshift gauges, good luck and have fun installing them. Get plenty of extra wire and stuff to install them. Cheap *******s don't even come close to sending enough wire or boost line last time I installed a set.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Yeah i want to do the whole new 4in. Yeah, i head the dp is a pain,have you ever inatalled one?
WARNING: Never use a torch to cut the DP.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:53 PM
7.3fire
Senior User
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Yeah, u-bolt clamps make pipe a PITA to get apart. Band clamps are the only way to go if your going to clamp pipe together. The true best way would be V-band clamps, but that is really expensive too.

If you get Glowshift gauges, good luck and have fun installing them. Get plenty of extra wire and stuff to install them. Cheap *******s don't even come close to sending enough wire or boost line last time I installed a set.
Ok, now lets say i get a set of isspro, they should have everything i need in the kit and should last a LOT longer right?

And ok so if i do go the new system route, i will make sure to just hand tighten till i get everything right, because i dont want to be sawzalling my new exhaust haha.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:54 PM
7.3fire
Senior User
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
WARNING: Never use a torch to cut the DP.

Haha now that is stupidity!

Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, now lets say i get a set of isspro, they should have everything i need in the kit and should last a LOT longer right?
Yes.

The last set of Glowshift gauges that I installed was about 4 years ago, so for all I know, they might have started sending more wire and tubing now. One of these guys that installed them more recently should know better than me.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:09 PM
7.3fire
Senior User
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Yes.

The last set of Glowshift gauges that I installed was about 4 years ago, so for all I know, they might have started sending more wire and tubing now. One of these guys that installed them more recently should know better than me.
I saw on an ebay posting i was looking at for glowshift 3 gauge kit, and the boost gauge included 9ft of tubing, is that enough?

Quick Reply: 97 PSD Build Up!!! On A TIGHT Budget!